mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Weird chain noise at low gear on derailleur

I removed both of the jockey wheels so I can clean them and lube them. I put them back properly. Now when I change the gear to the biggest cog and have the crank set to the bigger cog... a noise appears kinda sounds like the derailleur is trying to shift again :S? Either that, or the chain is being pushed off the bigger cog in the back so it can reach the crank on it's large cog. What can I do? I tried adjusting the low screw on the derailleur, but nothing worked. The chain shifted to gear 2 on the back of the cogs so I can to correct that so it shifts back up to the larger cog. What can I do?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You might take a look at the jockey wheels. I just put new ones on my setup and one had a marked rotation direction. Its possible you are hearing the chain pop as it settles into the teeth either on the cog or in the jockey wheels themselves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Oh yeah? so you think the direction of how the wheel move is important? I would of never guessed. If I rotate the chain backwards... u don't hear the sound. Once you ride the bike, the sound is soooooo noticeable where you think the derailleur is trying to shift to a bigger cog on the back :S

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The upper jockey wheel doesn't have an arrow at all, but the lower one did. I corrected it and made sure the arrow was in the direction of where the chain moves when I pedal. The sound does still appear, but if I pedal slow, you can hear it. If I do 1 hard pedal the sound disappears for a short time. Is there any other way to fix this, or is the noise normal because the chain is popping out of the cog? Or whatever the case may be lol... Who would of known... removing 2 cogs to clean them would cause such a hassle

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated. I don't want to send my bike to my local bike shop if I can fix it myself. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    IS your B-screw set correctly? Sounds like maybe your upper jockey is riding on the cog.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by cabralkev View Post
    Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated. I don't want to send my bike to my local bike shop if I can fix it myself. Thanks in advance.
    Do not use the big-big combo. Too much chain angle.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Do not use the big-big combo. Too much chain angle.
    ^^This. Big cog and big sprocket is a no-no. Funny, I never thought of taking the jockey wheels off my derailleur. In the past I have been obsessive about drivetrain cleanliness, but I always thought a stiff bristle brush and an old toothbrush or one of those drivetrain specific brushes was adequate. I think this takes OCD to a new level.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

mtbr member
    I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Turns out the lower tension pulley wheel was super worn out and wouldn't hold a good chain line. Replaced and problem solved until it wore out again in a few months. They started wearing out prematurely after I put on a new cassette (XT). I ended up trying a different cassette and no more problems. Maybe I got a dud cassette? My two cents.

And as said above, big/big is no bueno.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    sounds like its time to add a new bike to the collection.
    and wear headphone when riding the noise bike.