Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Velocity P35: max spoke tension?

I'm building a new wheel pair for my new single speed rigid 29er project.
    Does anyone know the maximum recommended spoke tension for the Velocity P35 rims?
    I can't find any information on the Velocity web site.

Specs.
    Rims: Velocity P35 (36 hole, 3 cross)
    Rear hub: Hope Pro2 Evo SS/Trials
    Front hub: DMR Revolver front disc
    Spokes rear: DT SuperComp
    Spoke front: DT Revolution right, DT SuperComp left
    Nipples: DT brass
    Washers: DT brass

/K
    "For I am a Bear of very little Brain, and long words bother me"

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by gandhi View Post
    I'm building a new wheel pair for my new single speed rigid 29er project.
    Does anyone know the maximum recommended spoke tension for the Velocity P35 rims?
    I can't find any information on the Velocity web site.

Specs.
    Rims: Velocity P35 (36 hole, 3 cross)
    Rear hub: Hope Pro2 Evo SS/Trials
    Front hub: DMR Revolver front disc
    Spokes rear: DT SuperComp
    Spoke front: DT Revolution right, DT SuperComp left
    Nipples: DT brass
    Washers: DT brass

/K
    You're safe to run 115+/- kgf with P35's.

Washers? Why?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks, I took them up to about 115 and that was a walk in the park. The wheels are now straight and even tensioned

Now It's just a matter of getting the rest of the bike assembled

I use the washers mostly for looks, like a "hand built wheel trade mark". Apart from looks they reduce play between the hub flange and spokes which gives a stronger wheel.
    /K

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    You're safe to run 115+/- kgf with P35's.

Washers? Why?

mtbr member
    So I figured I'd use this thread to mention that my rear 32 hole P35 has started to get hairline cracks at about 6 of the driveside spoke holes. I just cleaned my rim, which is why I noticed. I'm not really sure if the cracks are just in the paint or are in the rim.

I just put the park tension meter on, and it was a pretty uniform 107kgf across the whole wheel. The wheels are only a year and a half old, so I'm a little disappointed.

mtbr member
    Bummer.
    I just took mine out for a ride this weekend and am super stoked on that rim with at 2.4" tire on the front, rigid.
    Hope mine hold up alright.

mtbr member
    I heard from Velocity's warranty department, and it sounds like they might be able to help me out. They said that they build their wheels to 120kgf, so I shouldn't be having any problems.

(for me the real question will be how easy an RMA is, since this is my commuter. Spending a weekend relacing a new rim would be fine, but I can't have the bike out of commission for weeks or months to ship rims back and forth)

mtbr member
    Just an update - I sent photos of the cracking rim to velocity, and about 2 weeks later a set of replacement rims arrived at my door here in canada. I had to relace them of course, but that wasn't too bad.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    ya.. velocity is damn good... about my only complain about my P-35's is the paint is really bad, just peeling off everywhere around the edge of the rim and around the spoke holes...

Kinda beaten the crap out of them thou so it matches all the scratches
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Just an update - I sent photos of the cracking rim to velocity, and about 2 weeks later a set of replacement rims arrived at my door here in canada. I had to relace them of course, but that wasn't too bad.
    Not a P35, but Velocity replaced a 26" Cliffhanger that cracked internally (after being ridden from Banff to Costa Rica off-road) - the first rim they sent didn't make it through customs at San Jose/Costa Rica, so they sent another to Bogotá.

V. good service.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    the paint is really bad, just peeling off everywhere around the edge of the rim and around the spoke holes...
    Doh. I tossed my old rim in the garbage already, but I had intended to check if it was actually the rim cracking or if it was just the paint, but then I totally forgot.

B.Ike
    I have two sets of p35's and my only complaint is how many more burps I get compared to other tubeless set ups I run or have run.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by elwoodturner View Post
    I have two sets of p35's and my only complaint is how many more burps I get compared to other tubeless set ups I run or have run.
    ya have to run slightly higher pressures... with the ultra wide rim, the bead is kinda "rolled" in a bit so it doesn't lock to the face of the rim lip the same.. you need the tire side wall out bubbling a tad to keep the bead seated the way it's designed..

It would be nice if the rolled in the bead lock/lip a tad to compensate.

also ditch the Stan's and get Caffe Latex... it kinda skins the inside of the tire and after a month or so builds a super -ultra light tube like layer which helps prevent burping. ya.. some people get all whiny about the skinning... really don't get why... it doesn't weigh anything.. and I'll take that over the Stan's classic Latex Ameba any day!! it doesn't weight anything (after a yr I scraped it all out and it weighed less than a gram)

but we're getting off topic here...
    Last edited by thomllama; 10-22-2012 at 03:25 AM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

B.Ike
    ^^The burping that happens with a relatively big hit isn't really a problem as it doesn't really change your psi too much and doesn't happen too often. The difference between the p35 and my other/older wheels is how low a psi I can gingerly limp back to the parking lot with.
    After experimenting w/ various versions of the "best tubeless brew" I'm sold on version 1 of WSS. It out performs stans in my opinion and my last batch came to 17 cents an ounce. A big plus is that it works great in the kids tubes.

mtbr member
    Since we're off topic anyway, what have people been using for tubeless rim tape with their P35s?

I've been using 1" wide Gorilla tape, which works well at first. But it's thick enough that it catches on the tires when unseating them, so over time (and a few tire swaps) the tape has gotten pretty beaten up, and it starts to lift up from the rim.

I was wondering if something thinner like stan's tape or the velocity stuff would work better?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Well, I purchased the Velocity P35 specific rim tape http://www.velocitywheels.com/store/...pID=240&cID=78 It came as a kit with valves and tape for two rims. Perfect!
    /K

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by gandhi View Post
    Well, I purchased the Velocity P35 specific rim tape http://www.velocitywheels.com/store/...pID=240&cID=78 It came as a kit with valves and tape for two rims. Perfect!
    /K
    UGGG I hated it.. the tape didn't hold well and if you use tight tires the bead could often roll the edge of the tape back... Then the stem's base didn't really seal well against the web of the rim, found Stan's or Caffe latex stems to work better, Been using the new American Classic stems lately and they are friggin smashing!!! plus their kit is kinda WAY over priced. Have found gorilla tape and pretty much any stem to work better and cost WAY less!!!

but hey, if it works for you... friggin awesome~~~!!! tubeless is the way to go no matter what

B.Ike
    +1 on the gorilla tape, but I don't change tires often.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    if you use tight tires the bead could often roll the edge of the tape back...
    That's what I've had happen with the gorilla tape, but if the same thing happens with the thinner tape then I'll stick with gorilla.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    That's what I've had happen with the gorilla tape, but if the same thing happens with the thinner tape then I'll stick with gorilla.
    wow, must really be tight to roll gorilla tape back!! stuff is rather sticky!!! I also always install a tube and inflate to "seat" the tape, either type.. also sets the bead so if you just break one side to remove the tube and install the stem you only have to fight one side to get seated...

B.Ike
    I was going to add the part about the tube first as well. Seems to set the tape a little better.

mtbr member
    I think I've gone through about 6 tireswaps, so the tape was just getting old and soggy.

B.Ike
    The main negative about the gorilla tape is how much sticky residue is left when you do have to change the tape.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by elwoodturner View Post
    The main negative about the gorilla tape is how much sticky residue is left when you do have to change the tape.
    just rub down with some Orange cleaner or "goo Off" type stuff.. comes clean easy. Honestly thou, only changed mine once in like 4 yrs... did tear all the paint off the web of the rim thou...

mtbr member
    Glad it worked out well for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    couple of quick questions about the 35 rims guys. a) are they all that? make the best of a big tire? good and stiff? b) are they as cool looking as on the net? quite a unique looking rim. i thought they were anodizing them by now...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast