mtbr member
    Oct 2011

using sag to compensate for A2C?

Are there any downsides to using extra sag to compensate for too much A2C?

I got my hands on a 150mm solo air Pike 29er for cheap. Great! However, the A2C is about 25mm taller than the stock fork for on the Stumpjumper FSR. If I want to maintain the same geometry and handling characteristics, is there any downside to running extra sag to bring the front end down?

Thanks!

Trail Ninja
    Other than having a saggy ass spring that is more dive-prone, can't handle big hits, and probably feels so squishy that you can claim you are doing push-ups while you ride?

mtbr member
    Can you take up the 25mm difference, or at least some of it, with lowering your stem and/or bars? Maybe even swap the 2.4 tire up front for a 2.25?

I went up to a 150mm Pike also, and opted for the 51mm offset to help with handling. Is yours a 46 or 51mm rake (offset?)

You an start by measuring your stem height, AC height, and grip height before installing the Pike, then methodically get somewhat close to the original measurements with the new fork with a combo what I first mentioned.

Or maybe just bring the front end down 10-15mm and retrain your mind to live with/love the extra travel and slackness .
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

using sag to compensate for A2C?

That's a pretty reasonable suggestion. At least my fore-aft weight distribution will be more reasonable for climbing.

Will still be trading a higher BB for slacker head angle and more travel. Thanks for the idea.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: using sag to compensate for A2C?

Whenever my fork air gets lower after i haven't checked it in a while, i definitely notice it as a spongy, dead fork.

Have you looked at whether you could do anything with a lower stack bottom headset cup?

Also there may be a shim kit to take up 10mm of travel in there.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think I'd bottom out a lot.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Will change the fork a lot

Better off ensuring a flat bar and negative stem - IMO it's the height of the bars that makes the most difference , because weight on the front gives you grip in turns

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'D agree with others in terms of focusing first on bar (low rise or flat), removing spacers, lower or negative rise stem...

mtbr member
    Can't you put spacers inside the fork and lower it?
    I know older RockShox fork where very simple to do, but don't now if the current ones can be lowered.