Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Upside-down riserhandlebars=Dropperbars. Short persons on 36ers, 29ers and 32ers

Let's put an end to the high cockpit issue.

I don't give a rat's ass what it looks like. The goal is to place a handlebar as low as one wishes- what's wrong with that? All those whiners go to the woman fashion forum if you do not like this idea.

Update:
    Pro Bike: Emily Batty's Trek Superfly Elite - BikeRadar
    [...]Even so, Batty's position requires a few tweaks: the seatpost is flipped around to provide less setback and there's a -25 Bontrager Race Lite (instead of the usual RXL or RXXXL model) stem up front, sitting right atop the headset compression ring, with the upper cover removed to cut out a few millimeters of stack height.[...]

Solution to too much inverted stems and lack of upper cap. Stem -17 for a 29er and +6 for a 26er. Both have 100 forks. Dropper bar for the 29er. Is Trek stupid? It would offer a much better fit.
    Last edited by Davidcopperfield; 10-19-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Professional Crastinator
    Whatever works, but unnecessary for my rig. However, psychologically, I would want some kind of pad on the stem. Somehow it just looks more dangerous with an inverted riser bar. Like "Here - I've prepared a nice spot for you on which to smash your face".

-F

Bike Snob
    It's a good thing you don't care what it looks like because it looks like dung.

P.S.I could not find the women's fashion forum. Please add link.

usually cranky
    are you trying to pass this off as a new innovation?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    they look like they're sad....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

anyone else smell that?
    my back hurts just looking at that.

also, might want to get a front fender.
    1. Your signature can not be longer than 125 characters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    {QUOTE} I don't give a rat's ass what it looks like. The goal is to place a handlebar as low as one wishes- what's wrong with that? All those whiners go to the woman fashion forum if you do not like this idea

29er zealot, now x-post this in the 650b forum.

workin' it Administrator
    You know what? If you are short enough to have difficulties fitting a 29er it is OK to ride a 26er or a 650ber. 26er have been around for a long time and are really well sorted out. They ride really nicely and there is a huge selection of lightweight wheels and tires available, plus you can use flat bars and a standard rise stem. 650b-ers give you a slightly larger wheel so you get some of the roll over benefits but without the extra standover and high front end of the 29er. They fit some standard 26er forks so your headtube stem interface shouldn't be wonky like these.

Seriously 29ers are not the solution for everyone, and even though they are in vogue now doesn't mean they are neither revolutionary nor evolutionary, especially for shorter riders. Buy something that works for you not something that works against you.
    Try this: HTFU

loud hubs save lives
    does this set-up require extra dental insurance?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    You know what? If you are short enough to have difficulties fitting a 29er it is OK to ride a 26er or a 650ber.
    Its not just a short thing. I've seen a few average height and tall people doing this because they're obsessed with the idea of having their bars the same height as their 26". Guess its fear that they can't deal with a slightly higher center of gravity. Which, if thats the case, would be an even better reason to go back to 26"

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Its not just a short thing. I've seen a few average height and tall people doing this because they're obsessed with the idea of having their bars the same height as their 26". Guess its fear that they can't deal with a slightly higher center of gravity. Which, if thats the case, would be an even better reason to go back to 26"
    i would think your cog would have more to do with bb height vs bar height.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    i would think your cog would have more to do with bb height vs bar height.
    In reality yes, but I was thinking more of the riders perception. Should have stated that better.

mtbr member
    May 2008

They really do look sad...

Might not be the best choice for the chronically depressed among us. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought that when first seen.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    In reality yes, but I was thinking more of the riders perception. Should have stated that better.
    thats what i was thinking, just a little confused.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    In the first photo the seat appears to be about 6 inches higher than the bars. Is this so you always feel like you're going downhill??
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride
    Blog: Daddy Rides Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would be concerned about the ergonomics of the upsidedown riser bars . Thats gotta wreak havoc on your wrists.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nolamonster View Post
    I would be concerned about the ergonomics of the upsidedown riser bars . Thats gotta wreak havoc on your wrists.
    Depends on the back sweep, the angle of the bar, relative saddle height, etc but a bit of down sweep like that can feel very comfy

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by nolamonster View Post
    You just rotate the bar until it feels right. Does not matter whether it has rise, drop or is flat.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    When we gaze at road handle bars it is ok and not sad or something on monstercross but when we see a mtb riser handlebar with flipped stem it is definitely not ok? I guess we all need to get used to it the way we did to 29ers overall. In extremities like a 5'2" dudette wanting a Lunchbox or Lenz PBJ we would need some king of cusion shield on the headset stack, however when the rider likes the 29er wheels and prefers them over 26ers then I see nothing against customizing the position. Why 29ers have to take after 26ers? They are different bikes apart from CS, wheel base etc. If it works on road bikes then why not on 29ers?

I agree that handlebar designed to be used up may not always be exellent however if inverted risers were designed then it would be comfortable for the wrists. I guess Ninerbikes should include such handlears for extra small riders under 160cm as a sidenote not the one below. It is just an axample monstercross bars when headset is higher than grips.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

AZ
    banned
    Three red chicklets, and some people complain that the rep system does not work.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield View Post
    When we gaze at road handle bars it is ok and not sad or something on monstercross but when we see a mtb riser handlebar with flipped stem it is definitely not ok? I guess we all need to get used to it the way we did to 29ers overall. In extremities like a 5'2" dudette wanting a Lunchbox or Lenz PBJ we would need some king of cusion shield on the headset stack, however when the rider likes the 29er wheels and prefers them over 26ers then I see nothing against customizing the position. Why 29ers have to take after 26ers? They are different bikes apart from CS, wheel base etc. If it works on road bikes then why not on 29ers?

I agree that handlebar designed to be used up may not always be exellent however if inverted risers were designed then it would be comfortable for the wrists. I guess Ninerbikes should include such handlears for extra small riders under 160cm as a sidenote not the one below. It is just an axample monstercross bars when headset is higher than grips.
    As you have shown in your pictures there is no need to design inverted risers bars because you just take a standard riser, mount it upside down, and use it is such. The only reason to design an upside down riser would be so that the brand sticker/model name was facing up instead of inverted which would be madness for any manufacturer to pursue strictly for the purpose of an upside down handlebar. Perhaps in the future if you nag some manufacturers enough they might put on double stickers like they have on stems so you can chose the mounting orientation that best suits your use.

However I would think that a custom stem with substantial drop would be the best solution as you could then use a standard flat bar and reap the benefits of their weight savings.
    Try this: HTFU

I just let one RIP
    My question is why do some of the bikes have spacers under the stem, only to flip the stem and/or bar? Like the first pic - take out the spacers and you could run a normal stem, maybe in the down position, and it wouldn't look so odd.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member
    The bikes present some "new" or innovative solution, though they are larges. This solution must be applied to S and XS 29ers to get the front bars lower like on 26ers. Another disadvantage to riding a 28er would be tackled. Willow Koerber had to use some custom headset to get the flat bar lower. She could have used inverted risers with inverted stems and keep the ordinary headset and not shorteing the fork stroke down to 80-90mm like he had on superfly. Now let's think about 5'2" rider wanting a wfo9. If a 90mm fork is a borderline then a 140mm is 50mm above and we need to counter that additional 50mm by -35 stem and - 25mm riser.

I reckon that it is great for small riders, it is better to have the front end this way rather than ride a 26er just in order to have typical 26er setup and ditch a 29er becuase of that.

This solution is excellent for 36ers for almost everybody under 6' for the lowerness.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    The only reason to design an upside down riser would be so that the brand sticker/model name was facing up instead of inverted which would be madness for any manufacturer to pursue strictly for the purpose of an upside down handlebar.
    Madness?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    My question is why do some of the bikes have spacers under the stem, only to flip the stem and/or bar? Like the first pic - take out the spacers and you could run a normal stem, maybe in the down position, and it wouldn't look so odd.
    Some people, myself included, prefer the look of an inverted stem. Mine doesn't have spacers beneath it however.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast