mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Upgrading stock wheelset to AM TL, around $500

I know this has been asked before, but now it's my turn. I want to replace my stock wobbly ghetto TL to a solid set of TL ready. Looking for 15TA compatible, obviously, I'm less concerned about the rear, 135 or 142, it doesn't matter much. What I do want is a solid set. I'm no Clyde but I still enjoy riding aggressively, and on my HT they are going to take more abuse anyways.

So am I best off stocking with Stan'a in the arch ex? I've found a set online for around $550, and would like to keep it around $500. Any other brand I should be looking at?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I had been looking for an AM wheelset myself and just recently settled on the Sun Ringle Chargers. I haven't logged a ton of miles on them yet but I like them thus far. WTB also has a relatively new AM wheelset called Frequency i23 TCS. I've heard good things about them as well.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Brother I was in your exact same position.

I bought Stan's Arch's, I havent used em yet, and the reason I got em was cause I found a good deal on a local set.

That being said, bang for the buck 7/10 reviews I read all were pro Stan's.

That being said there are several other wheels that may be just as good. Sun Ringle, WTB, even hear the Chinese carbon wheel are worth a try.

You may want to look at the Flow more so then the Arch. Also I should say I ride XC, not AM so for AM you might not be AS concearned about weight, more for strength which is why I say for Stan's check out the Flows, or check out the WTB i23's

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've checked out flows but I think they're a bit more than I need. It seems like the arches are a good compromise between weight and strength.

cj- anyone sell the wheelset or just the rims? I don't have any wheel building capability or a LBS I would trust to do it.

mtbr member
    Might also check out American Classic Terrain 29 wheelset, can be found around $400. Then you get the front 15mm axle for about $35 and your set.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    I've checked out flows but I think they're a bit more than I need. It seems like the arches are a good compromise between weight and strength.

cj- anyone sell the wheelset or just the rims? I don't have any wheel building capability or a LBS I would trust to do it.
    Both the Sun Ringles and WTB's can be found sold as wheelsets.

Here's a link to a set of SR Charger Experts: Sun Ringle 29" AM Charger Expert 9/15/20 Black @ eBikeStop.com

That is the mid grade wheelset SR offers. They also have the Comps (less expensive) and Pros (more expensive).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    go with stans flow... I got a set for 450 ish from excel sports in colorado

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    + 1 on the Stan's Wheels!
    I have used Arch's with no problems whatsoever, and the house 3.30 hubs have been excellent too (for me anyway).
    I just bought a set of Crests a few weeks ago and after 6 rides they are still completely straight. I am pretty hard on wheels, and at 180lbs geared up. In my opinion,these things have been the best bang for my buck by far. Not to mention they are sooo easy to do a tubeless setup. Just don't try to mount Geax Saguaro tires on them, or you will have your work cut out for you...
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

Poacher
    Sep 2010

If you don't pony up for CK, DT 240, Hadley, WI, maybe try the HOPE

I am Partial to WTB i23 rims, but evreyone loves STANS. Flow and Hope hubs would be great