mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Upgrading old Shock FOX

Hi there!

I have problems finding an upgrade of my current shock - 2014 Performance Series FLOAT on my bike CUBE 2015 Stereo 120 Super HPC RACE 29.

The current shock works pretty much ok but whenever I try to lock it (climb position) for a serious climb the lock doesn't work like I want it to.
    The rear gets a bit stiffer but not that much - it still travels a lot.

I want to make an upgrade and get the shock that really locks or at least makes the rear much more stiffer.

I'm not a tech geek so I have no idea which Fox shock should I get that fits my frame correctly.
    Also money isn't an issue here.

Shocks custom tune ID is CNNZ.

Here is my bike:
    Cube 2015 Stereo 120 Super HPC Race 29 MTB Bike | All Terrain Cycles

Thanks in advance!

MTB B'dos
    This is your shock, Fox Float CTD BoostValve, 200x51mm, Climb/Trail/Descend mode, LV air canister, so you want a 200x51 stroke shock.

Personally though, it might be a better option if you have it available, to send your shock out to a suspension tuning company and get it custom tuned exactly the way you want it. Alternately if that's not an option, you could by a shock that only has 2 options, open and locked, these are normally a full, solid lockout, but, the problem is if you leave it locked and head donw a descent/over rough stuff and hit something hard, you can damage the shock. Also if you get a retail shock, it may not be tuned for your bikes suspension and may not ride as good as the one it came with.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Actually I did try to tune it at the tuning company 3 or 4 times. I also do the maintenance every time it needs to be done. So the shock is not damaged and works fine.

The last time guys from the service said you can't make this shock lock properly because this is how this model works. It just can't be locked like I want it to.

It's just I want to be able to climb more efficiently. I have no intentions going downhill fully locked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    "Actually I did try to tune it at the tuning company 3 or 4 times"

Could you elaborate on this procedure? I am sure if you called a suspension tuner like PUSH Industries they could give you a better idea how well they could firm up climb mode.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    They did the usual things like: setting sag, rebound damping, changing air volume.
    Sadly I don't have the access to some serious guys like PUSH since I live in EU.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Noises View Post
    They did the usual things like: setting sag, rebound damping, changing air volume.
    Sadly I don't have the access to some serious guys like PUSH since I live in EU.
    That really isn't considered a tune at all.

With limited EU options you may be better off with a new shock though I recall the crappy CTD shocks still having a fairly firm lockout.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    That really isn't considered a tune at all.

With limited EU options you may be better off with a new shock though I recall the crappy CTD shocks still having a fairly firm lockout.
    Well once service guys tried to tune its insides (not sure what) and it didn't help at all.

Yeah "you may be better off with a new shock" this is what I thought.

MTB B'dos
    No you tried to sert the shock up properly and the guys at the shop made you fel like they were doing more, if you want to know what can and can't be done to that shock, contact both of the companies below, they are true suspension tuning shops and know what they're doing. You of course will have to send the shock to them for them to tune it, along with all the pertinent info like your weight, riding style, what you want, bike, fork.

https://www.tftuned.com/
    Mojo Suspension | Online Store

Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Noises View Post
    Actually I did try to tune it at the tuning company 3 or 4 times. I also do the maintenance every time it needs to be done. So the shock is not damaged and works fine.

The last time guys from the service said you can't make this shock lock properly because this is how this model works. It just can't be locked like I want it to.

It's just I want to be able to climb more efficiently. I have no intentions going downhill fully locked.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    No you tried to sert the shock up properly and the guys at the shop made you fel like they were doing more, if you want to know what can and can't be done to that shock, contact both of the companies below, they are true suspension tuning shops and know what they're doing. You of course will have to send the shock to them for them to tune it, along with all the pertinent info like your weight, riding style, what you want, bike, fork.

https://www.tftuned.com/
    Mojo Suspension | Online Store
    Thank you very much!
    Packing the shock already. I hope in a few weeks I'll be getting the results!