mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Upgrading from Giant SXC2 and could use some advice.

I'm a 150lb rider (before gear) on a Giant Talon hardtail with the stock SXC2 wheelset equipped with the 15mm QR front axle, shod with 2.3 Specialized Purgatory front and 2.3 Specialized Renegade rear tires, tubeless.

The wheels have held up quite well in the 2 years I've had the bike since new. Despite my crashes, no taco'd rims and no truing needed. My riding is normally smooth, flowy singletrack with no serious climbs or descents, but I'm travelling more often to find more challenging rooty, rocky XC/AM/light free-ride trails and looking to change to a different frameset like a Canfield Yelli Screamy.

For $500, my LBS can set me up with Sun Ringle Black Flag Pros. They seem to be a solid XC-style wheelset with lots of flexibility WRT axle configurations.

I feel if I stretch my budget a bit, my local wheelbuilder could assemble a stiff, durable wheelset while dropping some rotational weight. With my stats and intentions in mind, any comments or suggestions from you guys with more experience?

My thoughts on...

Hubs-
    For the price, White Industries MI6 seems to be a great choice. Standard tools will work, seem to be fast rolling, relatively easy to find, durable, but low POE. Lower price gives me more money for rims.

Hadley would be my second choice- HIGH POE, fast rolling BUT significantly pricier, harder to find, require special tools.

Hope's are noisier than I'd prefer and seem to have durability issues, or I'd have listed them.

Rims- Pacenti TL28 or Stans Flow EX (~$90 per), Light Bicycles wider carbon rims ($160 per). Rims are where rotational weight counts the most, so it makes sense to go for the light weight attributes here as opposed to hubs. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Spokes: 32H should do the trick. DT Swiss or Sapim?

Nipples: brass or alloy?

Hope this isn't a wall of text.

mtbr member
    I put a set of TL28's on my rigid SS, and I pretty much beat that bike like a red headed step child. All most a year on, I've had to do one minor tweak to true the rear wheel, and nothing else. I've never had a tire not mount right up on them tubeless, first try. So I can't talk you out of the Pacenti's nor even tell you anything bad about them. Even before they were laced to anything, they were remarkably stiff for a set of 29" hoops.

Hubs. Light hubs are still good, but they aren't going to make as much difference as, for instance, being able to ride with enough style/skill to get away with running a lighter tire through whatever you ride. True, there are limits (even I won't run a RaRa, ever again, anywhere) but (and I'm not saying You do, just saying) you shouldn't need a down hill tire just because you "ride on rocks" frequently. That said, I like bullet proof hubs, and I'm biased towards things made in the US. So, yeah, Hadley's or Kings....

Spokes are spokes. Sort of. More tension will net you a stronger wheel. I deferred to my mechanic on which spokes he was more comfortable with. Nipples never came up for me, other than "don't do any stupid multi-colored crap" which got a laugh.