mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Upgrading fork on 2014 Rockhopper Comp

I guys I picked up a specialized Rockhopper and I really like it for my needs but the front fork needs upgraded badly. The Rockshox xc-28 has way to much flex. My frame has a tapered headtube but the fork is a 1 1/8in steering tube setup. Can I convert to a tapered steering tube fork and what extra parts will be needed? I guess I'll have to stick to 9mm QR. I would have to upgrade wheels to go 15mm thru, correct?? Any recommendations on a fork I should go with? Any sales going on? Thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have a 2012 rockhopper comp and I did pickup a reba RL solo air. ease of adjustment, rock solid and MASSIVE, let me repeat, MASSIVE upgrade compared to the stock suntour fork (also a lot lighter ). I got the fork by myself ( got it on sale ) and had the LBS install it. I have the 9mm QR. One thing I did notice after I got the fork dialed in for the trails around here.... I can keep a way better speed compared to before, that mean that I'm destroying the stock wheels while before they were getting way less beating. If you have the budget, you might want to consider to get the fork and the wheels at the same time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the reply, good info. I been riding my Rockhopper pretty rough, I just checked my wheels, still straight for now.

I am still trying to find out if I can use a taper steering tube with my Rockhopper frame. I know it has a straight 1 1/8 in steering tube now. If I went taper, what extra parts would I need? New lower bearing?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think so ( new lower bearing ) but I don't know if you have all the tools to do the job correctly, hence I'm suggesting that before you do ruin the frame / bearing / fork you should go to your local store and ask at least for a quote for the job... it's usually in the 50$ range and IMHO well worth.