Thread: Upgrading.

bf7q5jp
    Jul 2014

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Upgrading.

Bought a Diamondback Overdrive Comp a few months age. Picked up the sport as my feet no longer support running. I absolutely love getting out on weekends for a long ride, although I'm still on rather tame trails now.

Wondering what reasonable modifications I can make to this inexpensively priced bike to make it a better ride.

On the East Coast, so most of my trails are loose loam and sand. Not many rocks this way.

Thank in advance.

mtbr member

Upgrading.

Any bike benefits from tires suited to your terrain. I'd say do your research in your regional forum to see what people are using in your area.

Secondly, messing with anything that improves upon your body position and/or contact points. Grips, saddle, and pedal changes tend to be the most noticeable things after tires, along with stem and bar changes, if needed. Beyond that, I wouldn't spend a ton of money on the bike. You can take all of that stuff over with you if and when you upgrade the bike as a whole.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

bf7q5jp
    Jul 2014
    Thanks, I have replaced the seat with a WTB Pure and the pedals with Saints. Not sure where I want to go with tires, not ready for Tubeless yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You can still run tubeless ready tires with tubes in them, they'll just be on the stiffer side with sidewalls. For loose loam and sandy junk, wider tires with the right tread are the best upgrade at any price, and it happens to be that they're a wear item that need replacement eventually anyway. Out where I'm at the 2.2 Wolverines worked great, but where you're at, something with a better rolling resistance setup might work better, or just a higher volume casing an more tenacious tread (with minimal other information, my default recommendation would be something like a 2.35 Ikon). Either way, there is a lot of logic to some cheaper parts with big gains being where to look - with good saddle and pedals, if the bike if hooking up without dragging tires there isn't much else to worry about.

mtbr member
    Like stated...contact points, fit, tires. Once you get your skill level up where you'd benefit from component upgrades, start figuring out what you feel is lacking or holding you back. Weigh out upgrading vs. a new bike too. If you really get into the sport/hobby of mountain biking, you may find that a whole new bike will suit you better than just upgrading a lesser bike. You may also decide the opposite is better for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Do a Tubless conversion allowing you to lower you psi with a good set of tubless tires.

Buy clips and shoes.

probably around $300 at the max for all these things.

And that's all I'd do to that specific bike seeing that almost everything else is expensive,

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by toot334455 View Post
    Do a Tubless conversion allowing you to lower you psi with a good set of tubless tires.

Buy clips and shoes.

probably around $300 at the max for all these things.

And that's all I'd do to that specific bike seeing that almost everything else is expensive,
    Tires for sure but I gotta disagree on recommending clips a newb. I REALLY wish I hadn't listened to the person that told me to go clipless immediately on my mountain bike. It hindered my progress so badly and I already had experience with them on my road bike. The last thing a newb needs to do is be more focused on "can I get my foot out in time if I have to put a foot down" than the terrain. It could just be me but there was so much I waited to try because I was worried I couldn't clip out in time.

passed out in your garden
    Since youre a newb, forget the tyres, learn to ride on the standard tyres and then youll appreciate and be able to make better use of the new tyres when you get them.
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Probably just you....
    That being said the shimano 520s can be adjusted and making them super loos will allow anyone to unclip with virtually zero effort (Or skill).
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Tires for sure but I gotta disagree on recommending clips a newb. I REALLY wish I hadn't listened to the person that told me to go clipless immediately on my mountain bike. It hindered my progress so badly and I already had experience with them on my road bike. The last thing a newb needs to do is be more focused on "can I get my foot out in time if I have to put a foot down" than the terrain. It could just be me but there was so much I waited to try because I was worried I couldn't clip out in time.

mtbr member
    Clipless is for rodies and racers :-P

Get out and RIDE...the more you ride the more opinion you will have for yourself.

Like everyone here they all have the "what works best for me answer"... 15 ways to skin a cat so watch all 15 and pick wich works best for you!
    Butt PLEASE don't wear Bowling Shoes on a mountain bike and no Lycra also :-P

RIDE!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    Clipless is for rodies and racers :-P

Get out and RIDE...the more you ride the more opinion you will have for yourself.

Like everyone here they all have the "what works best for me answer"... 15 ways to skin a cat so watch all 15 and pick wich works best for you!
    Butt PLEASE don't wear Bowling Shoes on a mountain bike and no Lycra also :-P

RIDE!!
    Clips isn't really an upgrade it's kind of standard for XC tbh, I just didn't want OP to get scared and avoid it all together because the difference is night and day.

HaHa actually bowling shoes would work pretty good for flats because they are flat lol minus looking goofy as can be

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    whats wrong with the way the bike rides now?
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser