mtbr member
    May 2012

Upgrading 2012 Anthem Handlebar

The one I have is about 660mm and seems pretty good. I went from a 100mm stem to an 80 and was thinking I would like a wider bar. I have done a bunch of online review and found The Answer protaper 720, Race face sixc, and Bontrager rhythem pro

The Answer and Bontrager have 1 inch rise, Race Face 3/4. The Answer has 4 degree rise and 8 back sweep. The Bontrager and Race face have 4 degree rise and 9 degree sweep. They are all about 720mm, which I think would be great.

How about an Eaton Haven at 711mm?

Any thoughts? other brands to consider? Can I use standard lock on grips on the bars I mentioned?
    Thanks
    Bill
    Last edited by Billinsd; 12-23-2012 at 09:03 AM.

davidcarson48
    Can't offer an opinion on the bars, but my 2013 Anthem came with a 730mm bar with 19mm rise (roughtly 3/4 inch). Not sure of the sweep, but it's very comfortable and I got used to the long length rather quickly. My last bike had a 690mm bar.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What Is your stem length? And what size is your Anthem? ThanksBill

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I looked on my handlebars and read 690mm and 19mm rise. I think 725 or so might be nice. Bill

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    it's very comfortable and I got used to the long length rather quickly. My last bike had a 690mm bar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I really like the Easton Haven carbon bar. Super strong and lightweight for a bar billed for AM duties. Nice upsweep (5deg) and backsweep (9deg) and 711mm gives great leverage and control without being unwieldly. I use lock-on grips on mine. In short, this bar has been ideal for the Anthem and is a big step up from the stock bar in performance and ergonomics.

davidcarson48
    Quote Originally Posted by Billinsd View Post
    What Is your stem length? And what size is your Anthem? ThanksBill
    Stem length is 100mm (which is what was on the bike at delivery). I have a Large 2013 Anthem X Advanced 29er 1.

My 2010 HiFi had a 105mm stem and 690mm bars. I could probably go to a 90mm stem on the Anthem without issue.