mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. Upgrades over time - Stick to Groupsets?

I purcahsed the most bike the wife would allow. I got a Hardtail bike that fits and a style that I like. Now I'd like to upgrade the components over time, so that it comes in a few bits at a time and under the budgetary radar screen. I've been working on bikes for many years and feel confident in just about everything except re-dishing the rear wheel.

Here's the questions I alluded to in the title:
    Would it be best to pick a groupset and buy the compenents desired from that set? Are the 9 speed rear ends being phased out, so that I sholud pick a 10 speed groupset.

I did do some searching but most posts seem to be a year or two old. I know about chainlines and Maximum Capacity, ect. but the compatibility can seem intimidating.

mtbr member

Upgrades over time - Stick to Groupsets?

Short version: XT 2x10 is the best bang for your buck and can be found on sale piece at a time.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

ballbuster
    Meh... you can find deals. I too am in 9 speed world, and will stay there as long as possible. Not that I think 10 speed is any major upgrade, or not, but because I like my Shimano Dual Control shifters, which are only 9 speed. They dropped the DC shifter line before 10 speed was the thing.

Also, I like my stupid low granny gear with 5 arm compact chainrings... (so I can have my 20t granny and 30t middle... we have lots of stupid steep long climbs around here).

I think 9 speed will still be readily available for a few years. We've just seen 8 speed finally go away for the nicer stuff about 3 or 4 years ago. Try and find an 8 speed XT cassette, and you'll see what I mean. 9 speed became the thing back in like 2000-2001 or so. It was out before then, but wasn't common on lower rent stuff until 2001, really.

I dunno... I say hang on to your cash until you start wearing stuff out.... and then upgrade. THing is, upgrading to 10 speed means you have to do your cranks, chianrings, chain, cassette, shifters, and both derailleurs at the same time. In that case, do a grouppo. That's a lot of cheddar all at once.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Depending on your fork that might be first, then wheels, then brakes (probably), then drivetrain. Chances are you have avid hydro brakes. If they start warbling, shuddering etc. You prob want to do those first (about 180 for slx and 210 for XT). You can buy prebuilt light bicycles carbon wheels for $550 + shipping for a pair (didnt look at the price but probably $600).

However, you can get slx or XT from merlin cycles for a fraction of the msrp. I think slx is around 450 (brakes + drivetrain) and xt for around 600.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'd recommend getting a better set of tires, if needed and a better set of wheels. You'll notice the biggest performance upgrade with those upgrades.

Carbon & Ti rule
    When the X01 11 speed group comes out, Start buying those bits.

mtbr member
    Best to upgrade as components wear out, then you don't have to worry about being under the budgetary radar.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So, looks like wheels, fork, brakes are some of the first upgrades to consider. I do want the components to cooperate when I get done, which was the intent of the original post. So if I pick Deore XT, then anything in the line (say M780) should play well with the other parts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 4slomo View Post
    Best to upgrade as components wear out, then you don't have to worry about being under the budgetary radar.
    VERY TRUE, It was me trashing my early 90's LION Mountain Bike Shaped Object, which got the new bike through the purchasing department (wife).

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Re: Upgrades over time - Stick to Groupsets?

My experience with shimano.

I aksed shimano tech support if I could run an slx 2 ring front crankset (made for 9 speed system) with a xt 10 speed rear cassette and mech. They said no way. Will not work right. Not designed to work together. Will have bad shifting. Etc.

I did it anyways based on some forum feedback, and it works great. Been running it for over a year. Shifts great. I run a 10 speed chain of course.

Don't be bent on sticking to a set "group" because shimano would have you believe they are HIGHLY tuned for eachother. On paper...maybe yes. In practice...no.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Re: Upgrades over time - Stick to Groupsets?

Also...much beter deals can be found when not buying a "group". Ex: I bought my whole drivetrain for well under $400 with All xt parts except the slx cranks. All came from crc. An xt "group" would run way more then that.

I've also purchased 10 speed xt shifters for $15 each two different times. These retail for $80+ each and are usually on sale for ~$50 each. Deals are out there if you look hard and have a little patience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by darinmg View Post
    Also...much beter deals can be found when not buying a "group". Ex: I bought my whole drivetrain for well under $400 with All xt parts except the slx cranks. All came from crc. An xt "group" would run way more then that.

I've also purchased 10 speed xt shifters for $15 each two different times. These retail for $80+ each and are usually on sale for ~$50 each. Deals are out there if you look hard and have a little patience.

Exactly, wanting to buy a chunk or two at a time but don't want to end up like Johnny Cash's Cadillac from "One piece at a time".