mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New question here. Upgrade from Suntour XCR

Hi I am new to the forum and I recently got back into Mountain biking. I am curently riding a Scott Aspect 920 and I want to replace my Suntour xcr fork for around $300 dollars. I am a noob so I have no idea where to start. I don't ride Downhill and I'm not flying off any jumps. I'm looking for something well rounded and the biggest ban for your buck. Like I say I am a noob, but I am trying to learn as much as I can about Mountain biking as I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and can't wait to read responses.

mtbr member
    I'm going to upgrade my Suntour XCM to a Manitou Tower Expert soon. I should be able to get it for 300-320

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What you can end up with is a much better handling and capable bike, One that will be safe and fun to ride on difficult/fun trails and quickly let you improve your skill level..
    To get there you should improve the fork, wheel and tire.
    The Raidon from Suntour is 5lbs. for 200.
    A lighter fork that works will make the most difference. A 3lb fork like a 2011 or 2012 Rockshox Reba dual air or Manitou Tower Pro off ebay. These are the most tuneable for small bump compliance. This takes 2lbs off the front of your bike for faster climbing over bumps and quicker steering. They come with 9mm dropouts or 15mm thru-axle. 15mm is stiffer and cuts down on fork flex. A 9mm thru-bolt Dt Swiss RWS works with 9mm dropouts as something better than quick release but less than 15mm.
    Save 1-1.5lbs with a new wheel. It will also be stiffer and stronger and have end caps you can change to fit 15 or 9mm forks now or in the future.
    An ArchEX or FlowEX if you weigh over 200 or so is about the cheapest like this for $151.
    wiggle.com | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Front Wheel | MTB Wheels
    The drop down shows Arch or Flow but EX is what you get.
    You can lace your own and save a little money and more weight with a Novatec D711 hub, Supercomp spokes/brass nips. Easy with a Park TM-1 tensionmeter.
    You already have a 570g pretty grippy tire. A Nobby Nic Performance could give you a little more grip. 37 from ebike.

mtbr member
    This is a stupid question so I apologize in advance. When it says wheelset does that imply front and rear wheels? Or is it one wheel and "set" means it has the spokes and hubs and is not just a rim?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    When it says wheelset does that imply front and rear wheels? Or is it one wheel and "set" means it has the spokes and hubs and is not just a rim?
    Wheelset means both. The front makes the most difference to the handling, climbing and turning of the bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks does it also come with hubs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yes and changeable end caps for different forks.