Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011

Upgrade path for 2012 Hardrock

Not to beat a dead horse or anything...

I got my Hardrock 29er disc in march this year so that's just about 6 months now. I've taken it all over Florida with me from Santos to Markham and I love that bike. My best friend rides with me all the time and we are both very into the sport. After a while of riding that bike, I noticed that it lacked in some areas. Don't get me wrong, the frame is great even though it is a little bit heavy. I've since converted to singlespeed (love it!) because I could not handle all those extra shifty bits cluttering up my handlebars. I'm 16, work an irregular job, and bring home about $20 a week . I know most of you will recommend to save money for a better bike but that will take ages as i saved up the 600 for my hardrock I want to keep it for a while. Here's my reasoning. I ride singlespeed. Buying a new bike, I will just convert it and not use those shifty bits. I feel like that is a waste. I feel that to get a much better bike I would have to spend upwards of $1500 I've never seen half that much money in my life

That's why I want to upgrade. I can marginally spend money to get a better bike in the long run. And if I do decide that I want a better bike, I can just buy a better frame and move all the parts I already have onto it. with that said here's my plan.

1. First and foremost, upgrade the fork. The SR suntour XCT that came on it is nice, especially compared to my old wallyworld fork but it is a pogo stick and I do get bucked of course sometime. I have been scouring ebay for Rebas, Recon Golds, and Tower Pro's. I'm in no rush and will bide my time until I see a good deal. looking for <$300

2. New Front tire. Perhaps a Captain 2.2 or something like that. The Fast Trak LK sport in the front has washed on me a couple times too many. $50 new

3. Pedals. Those plastic ones are slippery! If you guys could recommend some pedals and explain why you recommend those. I'd like to know what makes one pedal better than the other. <$50

4. Brakes. The Tektro Novela are alright but are squeaky and don't have much power to them. I'm looking at BB7s because here in south Florida, there is not a need for uber powerful hydraulics. ~$100 on ebay.

5. Wheels will be replaced as they are broken. Let's face it, I'm gonna taco a rim or two in my lifetime. I've already manage to make one look like a sine wave.

Of course, these upgrades will take place over time because, well because I don't have much money and because I want to make sure I really want to do these upgrades. So tell me what you guys think of my master plan.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by reedfe; 08-17-2012 at 06:10 PM.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    sounds good to me. watch for used wheels on craigslist or local mtb group boards.

mtbr member
    Keep those wheels trued and properly tensioned and they will last longer. You can learn how to do it, buy a good spoke wrench.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    I think for fork choice, I'm leaning more towards the Recon Gold simply because it is more simple. Yeah, the reba or tower might have more adjust-ability, but I get nervous just looking at the adjustments. The Recon seems more like something I can handle. I've found a new Recon Gold TK for 270 or I can also get a slightly used Recon Gold with Motion Control remote lockout installed with the TK dampener on the side for the same price, possibly less. Or if the Reba is that much better I can get a used 2010 Reba SL in "excellent condition" for about the same price too. Which do you think is a better value?

For pedals I've looked around and found good reviews on wellgo MG1 and sunringle zuzu. I like the MG1's better cause they're about 250g lighter. Will I notice that weight if I go with Zuzu's?

Thanks again guys!
    Last edited by reedfe; 08-18-2012 at 07:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I own a Hardrock and also live in Florida.

I would get pedals and tires before anything else. Nothing can beat the improvement for the cost. I have Deity composite pedals that I'm quite happy with. They're wide, thin, light, and completely rebuildable. They only cost about $60. Then I would upgrade the fork.

For brakes, I really recommend hydraulic. It's not just about the stopping power so much as it is having modulation that you can't really get with cables. They don't have to be top of the line either. I have basic Avid Elixir 1's on my bike and love them. I almost never have to mess with them and they only make noise if i ride in the rain or really wet mud. Even then they still sort themselves out. People complain about Avids but they've been totally trouble free for me.

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    I found a deal on a 2010 reba sl for 240. I have one question though. The steerer is listed as 6 3/8. without spacers, I can get my crown to top of stem length to 6 1/2. so the steerer would be 1/8 inch recessed into the stem. Could I run it at that length or would that not be desirable?

-edit-

also saw a 2009 fox f29 for 280. Is that a good deal even though it is older?

so to sum up:
    New 2011 Recon Gold for 270
    Used 2010 Reba Team for 260
    Used 2010 Reba SL for 240
    Used 2009 Fox F29 RL for 280

what do you guys think?
    Last edited by reedfe; 08-18-2012 at 12:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The team has blackbox motion control for low speed compression and rebound adjustment, go with that. You can use that length. Most significant change you can make.

mtbr member
    Any of those forks you listed is going to be a HUGE improvment over your old fork. You'll shed significant weight too. You'll love the improvment.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    thanks for your help everyone. I pulled the trigger on the Reba team! now the hard part, waiting.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    The Hardrock is a bulletproof frame that will last a lifetime. I've got a 2010 Sport Disc and have dumped a ton of $$$$ into it to get it just right and it rides excellently. I'm also a Florida resident(bought the bike when I was living/riding in Alabama).

1. Sounds like you have it covered, enjoy the Reba, I love the one on my Hardrock and also the one on my new Carve!

2. The Captain is good and so are the Ground Controls, theres lots of other options too. Let me give you a helpfull hint though, whatever you do, GO TUBELESS! Even the Fast Trak tires come to life when run tubelessly. I preffer the Control series tires as far as the Specialized rubber is concerned, for a good balance of suppleness, durability, and weight.

3. Welgo MG1s. Best flats you can get. They cost $35 on ebay, new, and expect about $15 in shipping from China and a three week wait for delivery to Florida.

4. BB7s are great! You don't really sacrifice any breaking power, just modulation. If you want hydraulics, shoot me a PM, I just pulled a set off my new bike that have only been used twice. I'll make you a good deal.

5. Wheels are one of the biggest upgrades you can make, you'll jack up the stock hardware, replace with better. Stans and SunRingle are great for the money.

mtbr member
    Wheels are one of the biggest upgrades you can make, you'll jack up the stock hardware, replace with better. Stans and SunRingle are great for the money

If you start riding more def upgrade your wheelset. Good advice.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've read that "upgrade you wheelset" stuff before but recently, I've had to upgrade the front wheel on my Hardrock (due to the stock one getting bent somehow) and I've noticed no real difference between it and the old one (other than that it isn't bent). I built a wheel with a Stan's Flow rim and and XT hub with butted spokes. I'm not sure what I would feel

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Forgot to post up pictures of the bike with it's newest addition. Isn't she beautiful?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrade path for 2012 Hardrock-cimg3751.jpg  

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Picked up a Captain 2.0 Control. I can detect a big improvement in grip. Hopefully, that will inspire me to take some more aggressive corners too!

mtbr member
    Photo by andrwplsn • Instagram
    I know its a crappy cell phone pic but here is my 2011 hardrock.

Parts List:
    2011 Hardrock
    2011 Rockshox Recon Gold TK
    Shimano xt Hollowtech 2
    Velocity P35 Front wheel
    Velocity Blunt Rear wheel
    Origin 8 Hubs (ss rear)
    Answer Pro Taper DH bars
    Truvativ Hosfeller Stem
    2002 Hayes Comp Hydros (still work like a charm)
    180mm alligator rotors

Gearing:
    Town 32x18
    Mountain 32x21

My next upgrade is tires... I can't believe I have lasted this long on the stockers. For any of you who have tried different tires, what is the maximum rear tire clearance for the frame?
    Last edited by andrwplsn; 10-07-2012 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i got these pedals
    Amazon.com: Diamondback Sound Pedal (Black Alloy, 9/16 - Inch, Pack of 2): Sports & Outdoors

i think i paid 12 for them though, so keep an eye out and check other places. i think i saw them at dick's for around 15 or so.

they aren't top of the line pedals or anything, but if you stay with the sport the curiosity will get to you and you will try clipless. they are kinda heavey pedals, but durable enough to smash into rocks and tons of grip. i'd be surprised if you ended up wanting anything else.

get a spoke wrench and take care of the wheels and they will last a long time.

check locally for tires. you might find somebody who bought a bunch of tires to try and is looking to sell ones they didn't like or just didn't use much

mtbr member
    Well I just realized that I really didn't finish my thought in my post. It is amazing what you can do with an entry level bike and a few quality parts. I love my hardrock and will probably ride the frame for a few more years and move on to a salsa or surly frame (something singlespeed specific or endurance specific)

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by andrwplsn View Post
    Photo by andrwplsn • Instagram
    I know its a crappy cell phone pic but here is my 2011 hardrock.

Parts List:
    2011 Hardrock
    2011 Rockshox Recon Gold TK
    Shimano xt Hollowtech 2
    Velocity P35 Front wheel
    Velocity Blunt Rear wheel
    Origin 8 Hubs (ss rear)
    Answer Pro Taper DH bars
    Truvativ Hosfeller Stem
    2002 Hayes Comp Hydros (still work like a charm)
    180mm alligator rotors

Gearing:
    Town 32x18
    Mountain 32x21

My next upgrade is tires... I can't believe I have lasted this long on the stockers. For any of you who have tried different tires, what is the maximum rear tire clearance for the frame?
    and some zip ties