mtbr member

New question here. Upgrade.....Front/Rear Derailleur and Shifter

Looking at upgrading my derailleurs and shifters and wanted to get your suggestions what to use. I don't do any major mountain biking,just a few moderate trails and a variety of single track/logging trails and paved trails with my wife.
    My rear derailleur is giving me trouble so I figured I would just replace it,but wasn't sure if anything would be a big difference over the front derailleur or if any other shifters would make that big of a difference.
    Here's what is currently on the 29er. Thanks

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio, 9sp direct mount Long cage
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivo, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, dual pull
    Shifters: Shimano Alivo SL, rapid fire trigger
    2011 Rockhopper Comp 29er
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    If you can afford it - Shimano SLX is a great upgrade path; smooth shifts, decent weight, and great reliability and excellent resale value too.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    If you can afford it - Shimano SLX is a great upgrade path; smooth shifts, decent weight, and great reliability and excellent resale value too.
    Any particular models I should be looking for that will work on my 29er?
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    the wheel size doesn't matter. But, you have a 9 speed cassette. What is your budget for this upgrade?

You might get a better answer in the drivetrain forum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I would also vote for the slx rear derailleur. The 9 speed stuff it a bit harder to find now but they're still out there. Jenson has one for $59.00, they also have a Deore Front Derailleur for $9.00 and for that price I'd have to take a chance? You already have the rapidfire shifters so that setup should work just fine for the use you've described. Otherwise, if you have money to burn then Blue Sky has XT-M770 Shifters, XT-M772 Front Derailleur, and XT-M772 Rear Derailleur for $235.00?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies,think I will try the SLX-M662 and
    the Deore M511.
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The housing and cable makes a big impact on shifting. Much more than you would think. If you go to full length rear housing using a lined Jagwire housing and slick coated stainless cable you also cut the number of ferrules.
    REI has a $19 Novara/Jagwire kit that is excellent as an upgrade. They have housing in bulk also. Make sure the loops at each end of the run are oversized to avoid constriction. Follow the recommendations in the reviews on their site.

Do this maintenance oriented upgrade before you buy anything and re-evaluate. You may save a lot of money. You should also check the hanger to make sure it isn't bent or twisted.

If you want new shifters and derailleurs after this I would go 10sp to get the Shadow plus clutch rear. Your 9sp crank does not need to be replaced 10sp chain and cassette would.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Common reasons for rear derailleur not shifting properly:

Dirty chain and cassette

Cable housing has settled effectively making the cable longer and in turn has made the rear derailleur out of adjustment

Rear derailleur hanger not aligned

Poor original set-up

Parts worn out (probably not your issue unless there are LOTS of miles on the bike)

Chances are, as per the previous post and this one, your problems can be solved without buying a new derailleur. However, if you are not sure how to solve the above issues, you need to find a competent bike mechanic who is more interested in keeping you as a return customer versus only throwing parts at the problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdslw View Post
    I would also vote for the slx rear derailleur. The 9 speed stuff it a bit harder to find now but they're still out there. Jenson has one for $59.00, they also have a Deore Front Derailleur for $9.00 and for that price I'd have to take a chance? You already have the rapidfire shifters so that setup should work just fine for the use you've described. Otherwise, if you have money to burn then Blue Sky has XT-M770 Shifters, XT-M772 Front Derailleur, and XT-M772 Rear Derailleur for $235.00?
    Xt m772 der at ChainReaction right now : 65$