mtbr member
    Jul 2013

upgrade from avid elixir 1 brakes?

There's nothing really wrong with my brakes, but in an otb the brake levers became damaged cosmetically and subsequently scruffed up, though the brakes aren't perfect, they go out of alignment when I remove the front wheel and the rotor rubs on one sie of the disc brake pad, but I just leave it alone because it's a pain to have to loosen caliper boltss and recenter the calipers every single time. That and I have to remove front wheel constantly due to the need to transport the bike frequently.

All these reasons have given me a bit of incentive to consider upgrading before I go traveling overseas, as I won't be able to get parts so easily abroad in a remote country. I don't need super top of the line brakes, just something that is easy to align, works well enough and is in an affordable price range and preferably in black. (i've learned the hard way touching up silver paint on the avid's really sucks)

If you guys could let me know what some good options are I'd appreciate it. THe rotors i'm using are g2 something that came with the avid's in case they may or may not be compatabile with it.

mtbr member
    I would recommend Shimano SLX brakes. You can find them as cheap as 59.99 on some sites like blue sky.
    No rear though.

BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M666 Disc Brake w/ Adapter

The XT model on bluesky has front and rear although its costs more ($99 to $130)
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano XT M785 IceTech Disc Brake w/Adapter

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The G2s will work with that SLX brake. You need a front now. Get that and keep an eye out for a rear.

mtbr member
    I love my x/t's. Have had them on several bikes. The SLX's are nice as well. The adjustment "rub" could be coming from the axle on the wheel if its a quick release hub. They are a pain when replacing the front wheel. You will be impressed with either the XT's or SLX's, I think the best brakes in the business for the money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    thanks for the feedback, it seems I have to go for the XT, as the finding rear slx brake is like 100$ minimum and they sell slx set on ebay for like 160$. I honestly don't know if the extra $40 is worth dishing out, but I don't want to deal with sellers on ebay if at all possible.

Either is probably overkill for the riding i'm doing and the brakes cost more than my suspension fork and i'd prefer to spend much less... but the recent squeeling I get from just pushing my bike has pretty much made up my mind that I'll get the xt's (though ironically the silver version because the black ones are like $40 extra total!!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you have a basic dropout then the wheel needs to be set on the ground before the quick release is tightened or the disc may not be where it was before. A 15QR type axle that screws in would realign itself pretty well but it's still good practice to do them up finally with some weight on the wheel to center it.

If you can't get the wheel back in where it was when you aligned the brake, changing systems won't fix that. You could also have a sticky calliper piston making things fussy; Avids are known for sticky pistons but all systems will stick pistons somewhat.

Although you can mix and match rotors and callipers, there is a difference in pad and rotor width so it's not just always a simple bolt on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I switched from Elixir 1 to SLX and there's some noticeable differences. I feel the elixirs have better modulation while the SLX brakes seem to bite out of no where. You can also run the SLX much closer to the grips and they'll grab whereas the Elixirs don't seem to have enough bite. But lets say you're going down a fairly steep descent. With the Elixirs you can drag the brake and scrub off speed. With the SLX you just go as hard as you can and hit the brakes as late as possible and they'll slow you down quickly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I would say best bang like everyone else is the SLX, I run the SLX on one bike and Hope Tech M4's on the other. Between these two Hope all the way.

mtbr member
    ....if you're worried about getting parts in "the back country" you should get the simplest most reliable brake known to man. The BB7 sounds like just what you want.