Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Upgrade 2013 Trek Marlin Fork?

Hey All,
    I'm considering upgrading the 2013 Trek Marlin Fork (SR Suntour XCM with G2) to a RockShox Recon Silver TK Air (Non-G2)....

What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea?

- Is the Recon *significantly* better than the Suntour? So much better that its worth losing the G2 geometry?

Thanks!!
    Shyam

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Upgrade 2013 Trek Marlin Fork?

Try the Suntour upgrade program... You can get a Raidon (air fork, rebound damping, loxkoit) for $175...or get the Recon Gold for $238 and shave off a couple of pounds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Shave the weight and add a light front wheel and tire with the Epicon 15mm which is also an upgrade option. Drop all that weight and get a decent fork. You will be set. No more upgrade needs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks guys - so it sounding like to me that the Recon Silver isn't *significantly* better than the Suntour to make it worth the upgrade...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm no expert on forks but I have been looking to upgrade as well. The Recon "silver" is an upgrade but not by much. The Recon Gold is about a pound lighter than your Suntour Fork, is a lot stiffer, and can be found for $238.00 at Random Bike Parts which is about $200.00 off retail. The Suntour upgrade program sounds promising but the available choices are the Raidon for $175 that is still a heavy fork and the Epicon for $250 which is nice but only available in 15mm through axle so you would need a different front wheel too. As far as the G2 Geometry goes, you would have to ask other Trek owners who have made the swap to get their opinions. From what I have read the difference is minimal and most don't even notice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks!! Sounds like maybe I should wait and try to move to the Epicon + lighter/better wheels. I've been looking at the Stan's Flow EX 29'er wheel set....are there any better budget wheels I should be looking at?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    When I was considering the upgrade, I found some Black Flag Comp wheels at Performance bike for $389.00 a set. They come with adapters so you can use the front for 9qr, 15mm, or 20mm. Here's a link Sun Ringlé Black Flag Comp 29" Wheelset - Mountain Bike Wheels / Wheelsets

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Also look into the repair/rebuild aspect of the Suntour Forks. Its' my understanding that you have to send them in for repair so if you have a problem, you'll be without a ride until you get the fork back. Rockshox are easily repaired/rebuilt at most bike shops or by you?

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Fyi, I dropped 2.2 lbs going from my suntour XCT v3 100mm to the Recon Gold.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Then I need to recalculate my numbers???

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hmm great point on the rebuild topic....I'd rather do it myself/learn how to do it myself than send it in....hmm

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Pick up a Manitou fork you won't regret it. The offset difference is minimal with their forks as well. 48mm IIRC compared to 52mm for the G2 forks.

I have the same frame (Mamba) and LOVE my Tower Pro and the ride/handling characteristics but I also went to a 120mm travel. Good luck!

I waited to buy Black Flag wheels on sale for $280 and as mentioned the front hub is adaptable 9QR, 15/20mm axle. My fork I bought on clearance for $339 but you can get the Minute for under $300 regularly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Pick up a Manitou fork you won't regret it. The offset difference is minimal with their forks as well. 48mm IIRC compared to 52mm for the G2 forks.

I have the same frame (Mamba) and LOVE my Tower Pro and the ride/handling characteristics but I also went to a 120mm travel. Good luck!

I waited to buy Black Flag wheels on sale for $280 and as mentioned the front hub is adaptable 9QR, 15/20mm axle. My fork I bought on clearance for $339 but you can get the Minute for under $300 regularly.

I bought the 120mm tower pro for my Cobia (again same frame) and I love it plus it was ~210g lighter than the stock recon silver and 15QR.

mtbr member
    Got a second bike on the same SR Suntour fork and have been looking to upgrade, currently considering the X fusion Slide, it's about 1820gr according to specs and have great reviews
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You guys are awesome - thanks for the great info!

I'm now looking at the black flag wheels also - sounds like they are 28 spoke versus 32 or 36, any concern about sturdy-ness on trails? I assume 28 spoke is less sturdy than a 32 spoke...am i wrong here?

Also, I like the Manitou forks as I've read great things about them...but its mostly my OCD holding me back....to me they look like they are mounted backwards whenever I see one!

I'm looking into the suntour upgrade program now, I emailed nick and he said that they are easily serviced at home.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Im 210-215lbs geared up, and do typical XC drops, small jumps, bomb thru rooty, rocky sections as fast as can be and have yet to even slightly make a wheel out of true. Setting up tubeless was easy, but that's another thread.

Don't let the forks looks sway you away from them, for this price point, and some, they cant be beat.

mtbr member
    I love my recon gold. its the best bang for the buck i found when i upgraded the fork on my specialized.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Quote Originally Posted by andrwplsn View Post
    I love my recon gold. its the best bang for the buck i found when i upgraded the fork on my specialized.
    Agreed. I got one for my Talon and i do not regret it. $249 to shave off 2.2 lbs and get a plush ride? Yes please.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Those of you running the Black Flag comp - do you think this would be a worthwhile upgrade over the trek marlin stock wheels? (bontrager at-650)

Still looking at forks...

Thanks!
    Shyam

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Im 210-215lbs geared up, and do typical XC drops, small jumps, bomb thru rooty, rocky sections as fast as can be and have yet to even slightly make a wheel out of true. Setting up tubeless was easy, but that's another thread.

Don't let the forks looks sway you away from them, for this price point, and some, they cant be beat.
    Looks like I have a similar build and riding style to you. What are you running for spring and pressure? I've been eyeing a few options but keep coming back to the Tower Pro. Looks like you got a screaming deal at 330, currently looking at pulling the trigger on one for ~400.

Also did the handling/climbing suffer at all going to the 120? I know alot of people shun this due to the change in force on the frame, but damn it is tempting. I'm on a different frame, but curious how big of a difference this made for you. Did you shorten the Steerer or increase sag % to componsate?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shyamrox View Post
    You guys are awesome - thanks for the great info!

I'm now looking at the black flag wheels also - sounds like they are 28 spoke versus 32 or 36, any concern about sturdy-ness on trails? I assume 28 spoke is less sturdy than a 32 spoke...am i wrong here?

Also, I like the Manitou forks as I've read great things about them...but its mostly my OCD holding me back....to me they look like they are mounted backwards whenever I see one!

I'm looking into the suntour upgrade program now, I emailed nick and he said that they are easily serviced at home.
    Here's info from another post on this forum that says the forks are only serviceable by Suntour;

Suntour's policy is that only trained mechanics are permitted to perform maintenance on their fork, same as Fox and many others.
    The Suntour's fork is cartridge based. Their answer: "Our forks do not have any open oil chambers so there is no oil to install in the fork. We do use sealed cartridges and they can be serviced but only here at SR Suntour North American HQ."

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdslw View Post
    The Suntour's fork is cartridge based. Their answer: "Our forks do not have any open oil chambers so there is no oil to install in the fork. We do use sealed cartridges and they can be serviced but only here at SR Suntour North American HQ."
    This is not bad. I have a White Bros fork with the same cartridge construction. It is sealed and it just doesn't need maintenance. You can't change oil weight or valving but you can just ride it every day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by antigravity19 View Post
    Looks like I have a similar build and riding style to you. What are you running for spring and pressure? I've been eyeing a few options but keep coming back to the Tower Pro. Looks like you got a screaming deal at 330, currently looking at pulling the trigger on one for ~400.

Also did the handling/climbing suffer at all going to the 120? I know alot of people shun this due to the change in force on the frame, but damn it is tempting. I'm on a different frame, but curious how big of a difference this made for you. Did you shorten the Steerer or increase sag % to componsate?
    Xfirm spring shimmed (ghetto xx-firm) 100psi. Compression is run around 3 clicks in from soft and at 4 it takes a lot to bottom out 120mm with my weight.

Steered tube maybe 5mm shorter than stock with the stem under more spacers, stem flipped negative for a lower front end. HTA is around 68.5 its perfect for what I ride which is lots of up, reward is the down.

Very slight wandering when climbing over stock but nothing that a little more attention climbing and two rides didn't make go away. Better shot of the front end with a 90mm -4 degree stem. If you want more info or pics PM me Id be glad to help.

mtbr member
    My understanding was that "sealed cartridges" can only be serviced by factory trained technicians. However the ''sealed cartridges" can be replaced by the user.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdslw View Post
    Here's info from another post on this forum that says the forks are only serviceable by Suntour;

Suntour's policy is that only trained mechanics are permitted to perform maintenance on their fork, same as Fox and many others.
    Wow, that's really good to know!! Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast