mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Two wheelsets for one bike?

Is it feasible to have two sets of wheels, one for road, and one for offroad, for a 29er, without having to make a bunch of adjustments when changing wheels? Or is it less trouble to just change tires?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Assuming you have a cassette and rotors on each wheel set, I don't see what adjustments would need to be made.

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    It is feasible, but depends on how often you might be switching from road to offroad compared to the cost of an extra set of wheels.

If you do, get the same size rotors otherwise you will need to swap adapters.
    Also, get the same wheels/hubs, you'll save the trouble of possibly having to recenter the calipers (rotor mounts can be slightly different causing rub) or reposition one of the rotors to match.

Workin for the weekend!
    You can buy rotor shims to get them in the same place, if there is a lot of variation...

Syntace Disc Rotor Shims > Components > Brakes > Brake Parts and Service Kits | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I do that all the time with different make of wheels. No issues with either brakes (BB7) or derailleurs.

Two wheelsets for one bike?-dsc_7674.jpgTwo wheelsets for one bike?-dsc_7681.jpg

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have always kept about 5 sets of wheels setup for my 29er.

Even in MTB tyres there is a big enough difference to swap for different types of trails.

Just spend the time to set them up right with shim's if needed so they are a straight swap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Easily done, so long as the rotors are the same size. I used to do this, one wheelset with street tires, one with my dirt tires. Worked great! But eventually I used my handbuilt wheels on a new bike build... so then it became having a bike set up for street, and one set up for trail.

But I can definately attest to the appeal of having two wheelsets, especially if you are running tubeless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    A second set is great for switching your riding to different terrain. My spare set is for road riding. But in my case, even using the same size and style rotors still requires slight tweaking of the brakes. No big deal though, it only takes a minute or two.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ok, sounds good. When you talk about "tweaking" the brakes, are you talking about, "loosen, squeeze lever, tighten"?. If so, that's way easier than changing tires .

What would be some good wheels for primarily road use? Cheaper is better.

Ski during the off-season
    Regarding the brakes, it will depend on how much clearance your brake pads have (i.e., some calipers have more clearance and are thus easier to install / fit to new wheels).

On my previous bike, I had two sets of wheels. I had the same discs and cassette on both sets of wheels. Shifting was not an issue, but the brakes required a little tweaking. I figured if both wheelsets had used the same hubs, I would not have had an issue. I originally had BB7 mech disc, and when changing wheelsets, I would have to loosen up the bolts on the brake calipers and shift them around. I had not thought about using the shims mentioned above.

My current MTB is a Specialized, and the OEM rear hubs are the 142+ -- thus, to get 2 sets that I can switch between will be a bit harder (i.e., unless I get 2 other wheelsets...).

I used nano raptors -- there were not strictly road tires but I wanted a little tread for riding on gravel paths, green ways and when the roads were wet (i.e., typically when I would ride on the road rather than the trails). The police in uptown CLT ride bicycles, and I have been meaning to look to see what they ride ;-) Their tires are not quite slicks but have some pattern on them -- they look like they would be a pretty smooth ride.