mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Twist or thumb shifters??

Id like some opinions on both finger shifters and higher end twist shifters. Which do you like and why?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    my own opinion..
    having own the XTR / XT and SRAM XX/X0 grip shifter 2x10 series.
    I like the fact that XTR allow me to use either my thumb or finger to go up or down the gear, the rapid rise works but I think XTR allow 4 rear shift at one go. and 2 upshift at one go.. the shifters was upgrade to an ISPEC which allow me to remove he clamp. this also allow me to unclutter my cockpit area. XTR also feel more robust that my SRAM

SRAM Grip shifter, very diff feeling. initially with the stock grip and the grip shift, I couldn't use my existing XTR brakes as the lever was too short. once I got that sorted out and use a foam grip and shorten it to my liking. it felt good.. shifting is very fast.. u can just shift all the way up and all the way down. depending on how much travel your wrist can go .... crisp shifting.. coming from thumb shifter. It took me a while to be able to shift the grip when ensuring that my grip on the bar isn't compromise. once that is solve.. it become 2nd nature. you might want to take note is that for grip shift. you might forget which gear you are in as the shifting can be quick fast ...
    what worry me now is that if I do wear off the rubber grip of the grip shift, I am not too sure where I can get the replacement parts.

mtbr member
    High end GripShift......XO or better for me. Used them first in 96' (X-Rays) and have never gone back to trigger. Faster, lighter, far less prone to crash damage, can dump an entire cassette in one turn, and for me the most important...... when I am tired, gassed, bonked, whatever...manipulating fine motor skills like thumbs and forefingers is far more difficult than just grabbing and twisting with your entire hand. Think they look a lot cleaner too.
    Just my opinion though.......most prefer and use trigger.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jack View Post
    what worry me now is that if I do wear off the rubber grip of the grip shift, I am not too sure where I can get the replacement parts.
    Replacement rubber for grip shifts are easily found all over the internet.

mtbr member
    I have used both and like both. They each have their pros and cons. Hell, I even have used the old XT top mount thumb shifters ages ago. Currently have XT shifters on my '12 Flash Carbon 29r. I have had no issues with them and I have noticed no fatigue problems either.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    High end GripShift......XO or better for me. Used them first in 96' (X-Rays) and have never gone back to trigger. Faster, lighter, far less prone to crash damage, can dump an entire cassette in one turn, and for me the most important...... when I am tired, gassed, bonked, whatever...manipulating fine motor skills like thumbs and forefingers is far more difficult than just grabbing and twisting with your entire hand. Think they look a lot cleaner too.
    Just my opinion though.......most prefer and use trigger.
    +1 what he said.
    I'm using X-7 thumb shifters now and I miss my grip shifters.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Another vote for X0 or XX Grip Shift. I tried the X0 on my 1x10 to see what they were about and ended up really liking them. I like the fact that I can dump the whole cassette in one down twist, and skip multiple cogs on the up shift. I just picked up a front and back set for my 2x10.

Another plus is bar cleanup, espcially if your running non-SRAM brakes (no need for problem solvers, matchmakers etc...).

As mentioned about, I'm running mine with foam grips where allows easy customization of shifter placement.
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

mtbr member
    I'll start the apparent dissenting vote. I prefer the trigger shifters. Just never could get used to the grip shifters.

I've never had any crash issues and the argument about cleaning up the bars doesn't carry much weight with me since I'm a function over form guy and, for me at least, the triggers give me better function.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    i ask my local Distro that bring in SRAM.. guess what they told me.. worn out? just buy a new set........ same for the local shop. all tell me if the local dist don't bring me. they cant get it.. ..
    would you by any chance have the link to get them online?

mtbr member
    Im a shimano trigger person as well, I run slx (same as xt just tad heavier) and never one complaint. Sram triggers I dont like could never get them comfortable. Grip shift I tried on a test ride and dont like them. Matter of preference but fatigue sets in fast for me with grips where as no matter how tired i am never had an issue using my triggers, especially when just trying to fight enough energy out to make it the last bit to the trailhead shifting constantly. The only thing I like about grips over triggers is clring a whole cassette in one good twist of the wrist (though moving several gears on rough ground I always got unstable handling during the shift and/or missing my desired gear).

To each their own, one is no better than other, just personal preference, go ride them both and let us know what works best for you and why.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The problem I had with the Sram x7 triggers is once they were adjusted for comfort, I would occasionally bump the shifter. Now riding XO gripshift, just like riding a motorcycle, twist to go faster.
    2012 STUMPJUMPER COMP 29ER HT
    1998 KLEIN QUANTUM RACE

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I like them both. After a race my left thumb was really sore. I might set up a twist shifter for my front and a thumb shifter for the rear.

mtbr member
    Shimano triggers and Sram Gripshift. Not into Sram triggers.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    I prefer Shimano triggers. Mine are currently xt. Due to an old right wrist injury I just can't do grip shifters.

ballbuster
    Just don't get dual control. I have enough competition when trying to hoard them for myself.

Pic I stole from the interwebzones:

Twist or thumb shifters??-kelli_emmett_giant_dc_600.jpg
    Last edited by pimpbot; 11-19-2013 at 11:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Just don't get dual control. I have enough competition when trying to hoard them for myself.
    Best avatar image! Is that the Thomas Flare?
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by stop619 View Post
    Best avatar image! Is that the Thomas Flare?
    Thanks!

No, that's breakdancing Jesus. It didn't res down very well.

Twist or thumb shifters??-sarson-breakdancing-jesus.jpg

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jack View Post
    i ask my local Distro that bring in SRAM.. guess what they told me.. worn out? just buy a new set........ same for the local shop. all tell me if the local dist don't bring me. they cant get it.. ..
    would you by any chance have the link to get them online?
    A couple of examples...

SRAM X0 Right 9spd Grip Assembly Black - AEBike.com
    SRAM X0 Left Grip Assembly Black - AEBike.com

Sram Drehteil mit Griffstck fr X.0 3-fach mit Micro Rasterung - Bike-Components

BikePedia, Shifter grip kit, SRAM 00.0000.200.597 "twist shifter/grip" - Full Item Description

Sram Rocket Grip Assy Left 3pcs X9 00.0000.200.569

Part numbers for the various models to get the replacement grips are listed here:

TwistSRAMparts

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I hope SRAM supports the newer gripshift models in this regard better than the older ones.

My experience with the older style 5.0/7.0/9.0/9.0SL shifters is that the shifters themselves last forever (as in 12 years and going strong), but the grips don't, and were very hard to come by just a few years after they stopped making those models. In particular the slimmer grips were a no-go as soon as they stopped making the shifters. I had to look for NOS of complete shifters just to get new grips. I'm on my last set now, not sure what to do after this.

If I ever get a newer set of GS, I'm going to buy at least one set of replacement grips while I am at it. These are way too expensive to be buying NOS just to get the grips in the event that SRAM decides to try to kill GS again.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I haven't used anything but grip shift for over 15 years. Now have the XO...

My only caveat is mating them with brakes. Due to their design, I wound up getting Hope brakes, since the Avids that were on my bike would not snug up to the grip shift. The Hopes fit very well.

I really like the grip shift, and i have grips that are designed to be used with them - which also helps...

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I hope SRAM supports the newer gripshift models in this regard better than the older ones.

My experience with the older style 5.0/7.0/9.0/9.0SL shifters is that the shifters themselves last forever (as in 12 years and going strong), but the grips don't, and were very hard to come by just a few years after they stopped making those models. In particular the slimmer grips were a no-go as soon as they stopped making the shifters. I had to look for NOS of complete shifters just to get new grips. I'm on my last set now, not sure what to do after this.

If I ever get a newer set of GS, I'm going to buy at least one set of replacement grips while I am at it. These are way too expensive to be buying NOS just to get the grips in the event that SRAM decides to try to kill GS again.
    I hear you on the longevity. I have the original X.0 9 speed shifters that I bought in 2003 and they still work great at the end of their 11th season. I lost one of the gear indicator windows last year and both of the rubber grips are pretty much sticky mush at this point. I find it hard to complain that I got 11 full seasons out of the original rubber grips.

I know the replacement grips and window are available, and I found them online to purchase last month. However, before I ordered I found a slightly used pair of newer X0 9 speed shifters for $35 that I bought from a local rider. That was cheaper than I could get the replacement rubber grips and window. I may still purchase parts online so I have a refurbished set in my parts bin. I also consider that during the current lifespan of my X0 twisters the industry has moved from 9 speed to 10 speed, and now on to 11 speed. So who's to say what will be available a decade from now and whether or not SRAM owes users of older gear more than a decade of supplying replacement parts?

Also, how old are the replacement grips that have been sitting around awaiting purchase? I wonder if some of them that are available have been warehoused for a nearly a decade and how long will that rubber actually last once mounted and put into use?

B.Ike
    ^^wear did you find the windows? I'm missing 2. I've had grip shift since the 90's, but the last couple of years I've bought 2 shimano triggers as I got tired of porly fitting brake levers.

ballbuster
    I'm still a fan of Shimano shifters. I've never had one fail on me, I like the light touch. Every SRAM equipped bike I've ever tried, the shifting feels heavy. Couple that with some of my friends bragging that they rode for 4 whole hours, and they rode so hard their thumbs hurt from shifting so much! I've never had that happen to me, even after all day epics or 24 hour races.