mtbr member
    Jul 2013

tubeless tire problem

I've been running tubeless tires on my Scott 29'er for two years with no problems, until now. I've had 3 rear flats while trail riding in the last month. I've had to use tubes while on the trail, but when I get home I re-do the Stan's. A couple of rides are fine, and then I'll have another flat. Tire pressure stays high all week, then when I ride on Saturday, 20 minutes in, tire rolls off the rim. No visible leaks. I can't figure out what's going on. Someone told me I must have a puncture that holds until I put my weight on the bike while riding. (I'm 5'11" 185lbs) Front tire has never had a problem. Any ideas? I don't want to go back to tubes, but this is getting old.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

tubeless tire problem

Quote Originally Posted by rmoore View Post
    I've been running tubeless tires on my Scott 29'er for two years with no problems, until now. I've had 3 rear flats while trail riding in the last month. I've had to use tubes while on the trail, but when I get home I re-do the Stan's. A couple of rides are fine, and then I'll have another flat. Tire pressure stays high all week, then when I ride on Saturday, 20 minutes in, tire rolls off the rim. No visible leaks. I can't figure out what's going on. Someone told me I must have a puncture that holds until I put my weight on the bike while riding. (I'm 5'11" 185lbs) Front tire has never had a problem. Any ideas? I don't want to go back to tubes, but this is getting old.
    What tires and rims?
    Are they actually tubeless, or are you using standard tires/rims without inner tubes?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

usually cranky
    may have also damaged the tire bead and or dented the rim which is causing it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    have you ever blown the tire off the rim during setup?

mtbr member

tubeless tire problem

Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    may have also damaged the tire bead and or dented the rim which is causing it.
    This gets my vote.

Run your fingers along the rim to check for burrs or dents, check the tape and valve stem area.

Does the flat coincide with a turn or obstacle you're conquering?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorSerioso View Post
    This gets my vote.

Run your fingers along the rim to check for burrs or dents, check the tape and valve stem area.

Does the flat coincide with a turn or obstacle you're conquering?
    I'm running rocket Ron tubeless ready tires and synchros comp rims. The bike came set up with tubeless tires. It's a Scott scale 930 carbon 29er. It's interesting that you mention a turn. All 3 flats happened in bermed turns. I'm wondering if I should have replaced the valve and rim tape. I didn't do that with the first flat. What I don't understand is why it didn't flat the last time I rode it 4 days ago. Same exact trail. Air pressure was good all week and then failed today within 20 minutes. Thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    No. I've had no problems at all. See my response to the other post. And thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the bead. What gets me though is that I fixed the flat last weekend, rode it twice on the same trail Monday and Tuesday of this week, held pressure all week, then failed today ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    What tires and rims?
    Are they actually tubeless, or are you using standard tires/rims without inner tubes?
    It's a Scott scale 930 carbon 29er. Rocket Ron tubeless ready tires. Synchros comp rims. It came with tubeless tires. Front tire has had no problems. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Would the tire run ok with a tube if the rim was bent? Once I put a tube in I rode 7 miles to finish my ride with no problems.