dwt
    mtbr member

Tubeless Ready Tire recommendation?

Finally caved and bought a 29'er (Tall Boy c)

Very late to the party and way too lazy than to search 10 years of threads on the subject of 29" tubeless tires.

I have been running 26" and 27.5" wheels tubeless for years. I refuse to buy and use Rimstrips or futz with inner tube ghetto.

Some of my tires are TLR which seat and hold with tape and sealant only just fine. Others (my 27.5") are regular tires mounted to ZTR and WTB rims with layers of gorilla tape and sealant only. Much trickier to seat.

So what do the seasoned vets recommend and use for "aggressive XC" on a TB?!!

TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Lots of good tubless ready tires , sometimes the rim/tire combo matters as well. I have been running the Specialized 2bliss ready tires for awhile and find that they inflate easily, have reasonable cost, and good performance. The Captains are good as are the Grpond Controlls. Mine were on a TB and now the TBLT. I'm also trying the Spec. Purgatory on the front.

mtbr member
    By Tallboy "c" I assume you mean carbon. You also didn't mention what rims you have so I had a look at the Santa Cruz website and it appears you may have WTB i19 TCS rims which are UST compatible. Like NoTubes rims they only need rim tape. You can happily use any UST tire but unfortunately there aren't many UST 29" tires around. There are however plenty of TLR, 2Bliss, TNT etc. available in just about any flavor. I personally prefer a tubeless ready tires because they are lighter and work just as well with sealant. If you like a particular tire in 26", I'll bet it'll work for you in 29". Over the past year I've used Schwalbe Nobby Nics TLR, Specialized Purgatory and Ground Control 2Bliss for fairly aggressive riding in the North East. I've been very happy with all of them although the durability of the Nobby Nics was not the best.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

dwt
    mtbr member

Tubeless Ready Tire recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    By Tallboy "c" I assume you mean carbon. You also didn't mention what rims you have so I had a look at the Santa Cruz website and it appears you may have WTB i19 TCS rims which are UST compatible. Like NoTubes rims they only need rim tape. You can happily use any UST tire but unfortunately there aren't many UST 29" tires around. There are however plenty of TLR, 2Bliss, TNT etc. available in just about any flavor. I personally prefer a tubeless ready tires because they are lighter and work just as well with sealant. If you like a particular tire in 26", I'll bet it'll work for you in 29". Over the past year I've used Schwalbe Nobby Nics TLR, Specialized Purgatory and Ground Control 2Bliss for fairly aggressive riding in the North East. I've been very happy with all of them although the durability of the Nobby Nics was not the best.
    Yes carbon and yes WTB rims. Agree full UST tires not necessary & too heavy. I'm also in NE. My 27.5" tires are Pacenti Neo Moto 2.3 front and 2.1 back. No 29" version of Neomoto.,

. I'll try your TLR recommendations. As far as Scwalbe, what about rocket Ron?Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    I'll try your TLR recommendations. As far as Scwalbe, what about rocket Ron?Thx.
    Are you looking for a tire to race. I've never tried a Rocket Ron. They just look to flimsy for me and I'm 215lbs. The Schwalbe website gives them a 2 out of 5 for protection and durability but 5 out of 5 for grip and speed. There is a slightly heavier version with "SnakeSkin" but they are heavier and only gets 3 out of 5 for protection.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    I ride the Tallboy LTc with Racing Ralph PCE with snakeskin on the rear and the 2.35 trailstar Hans Damf up front. It's worked great for me.

mtbr member
    Just don't buy Michelin Wild Grip'r tires. Despite what the packaging says, they do not come in the 29" size, they come in 28.5" :unamused:

Happy with my tubeless ready HD's (front-Trailstar) and NN's (rear-Pacestar) for Arizona/New Mexico trail riding. NN's showing a bit of wear at 100 miles, but not too bad considering what I ride on. HD's on the front show near zero wear.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Like someone else mentioned, it's more about the tire/rim combo. Some tires don't mate well with certain rims, and vice versa. Personally, I've never come across any problems. I've also used non tlr tires on ust rims with zero issues in the past.

The schwalbe snakeskin tires have been the most hassle free for me on numerous rims. No pinhole leaks, burping, or bead locking problems. They have always set up instantly, even with a floor pump.

I'm 200lb and running RaRa SS rear, and RoRo SS front right now. Probably the best XC/trail combo Ive used so far on a 29er. I'll always sacrifice a little weight for sidewall protection...but a true UST tire is overkill and not really necessary.

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic Snake skins are fantastic, air up with a track pump and hold air with no sealant on Stans rims (obviously bung some in there anyway) The snake skin helps for a stronger more supportive sidewall at lower pressures so goes hand in hand with a low pressure tubeless setup

I also have a Hans Dampf which is epically good if you need something a little tougher

The Schwalbe tubeless ready tyres are fantastic and takes most of the grief out of setting up tubeless

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Any Schwalbe with snakeskin or specialized with the control casings will be a breeze.

mtbr member
    I'm running Schwalbe TLR/Snakeskin tires on my Mavic Crossmax ST UST wheels. Nobby Nic 2.35 front, Racing Ralph 2.25 rear. I'm not using any Stan's yellow tape or rim strip, just Stan's sealant.

This combo holds air better than the Schwalbe/Arch Ex setup on my wife's bike. The Arch EX requires yellow tape, too.

mtbr member
    I run 29er Fire XP Pro front and rear on Bontrager Mustang rims. I use the Bontrager rim strips and valves and Stan's goo. So far this setup has been awesome. No flats and no more air loss than tubes. Went 8 months before swapping out for tubes and my spiker winter tires. Just went back to the original setup for Spring.

mtbr member
    I just put some Specialized 29X2.4 Purgatory's on my new Pacenti DL 31 rims and used Gorilla Tape, American Classic valves and this new to market orange sealant, cant remember name at the moment(lbs highly recomended over stans) and filled up with floor pump last night and both still holding air this morning. The specialized 2bliss tires went on very easily and no problems finding the bead. Very happy so far, still have to ride them on dirt to get my full tubeless experience.
    Last edited by J.R.A.; 04-11-2013 at 09:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I second the Schwalbe Nobby Nic Snake Skins. You may need a compressor to pop them on the WTB rims, but they work great.

mtbr member
    My Ground Controls "Control" inflate with a hand pump. They are 2Bliss, as are my StoutCarve rims, just some tape and Stans in the rims and they work great. I am using the 2.1 Gnd Ctn's and they feel great for an XC tire.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've also had really good luck with SnakeSkin Schwalbe tires. Maxxis Ardents (EXO and regular versions) have been great as well.