mtbr member

Trying to sort gear ratios.

Here's the problem. Front going from granny ring up to "middle" shifts like crap unless in smallest 2 rear. It's 2x bash on a 3x crank. Shifts like a dream rear regardless of front ring though.

Setup:
    Trek marlin 29er, only stock part is the seat post.
    Full slx 2x10 except crankset is m590 3x9 converted. 24-32t, 11-34 cassette

Options:
    1- try the sram x9 2x fd I have see if its better

2-Switching from 32 to 34t ring so fd is closer being its already as low as possible. But figure ill need to change cassette to 12-36 to keep from big ratio change.

3- brave option being physical conditioning is still lacking but entire issue eliminated. GO 1X10. cost would match that of switching chainring. Bbg bashwich (already use bbg outer) and change to 12-36 or at least 11-36 cassette.

But biggest thing is I can't find (spent 2 hours trying to find a link) is a ratio "calculator" of sorts or how to make a spreadsheet one for myself. Want to see what ratios I have now since I know what mixes I use when (like almost never granny+34 rear or big front-smallest rear except pavement).

Wouldn't mind trying 1x10 but want to research all optimal before spending $ since i am limited due to new baby coming in 2 months.

Any help would be awesome, and again, already tried searching with no luck yet.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by tigris99; 08-25-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    [QUOTE=tigris99;10629343]
    But biggest thing is I can't find (spent 2 hours trying to find a link) is a ratio "calculator" of sorts or how to make a spreadsheet one for myself. Want to see what ratios I have now since I know what mixes I use when (like almost never granny+34 rear or big front-smallest rear except pavement).[QUOTE]

Here's Sheldon Brown's gear calculator page: Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

mtbr member

Re: Trying to sort gear ratios.

Holy crap how did I miss that??? I was on sheldon brown pages and missed it... Epic fail of my own retardation!!!

Thnx

Any opinions on the shifting issue(assuming my guess of problem is incorrect) or if 1x10 would be worth a shot?

Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Holy crap how did I miss that??? I was on sheldon brown pages and missed it... Epic fail of my own retardation!!!

Thnx

Any opinions on the shifting issue(assuming my guess of problem is incorrect) or if 1x10 would be worth a shot?

No problem, Tig. Wish I could help you on the shifting issue, but I really don't have a lot of experience with a concern like yours. I moved from a triple to a double-bash setup early this year (32-22 chainrings, 11-36 cassette). Luckily, the shifting has remained pretty crisp. At 58 years old, I probably won't be moving to a 1x10, but you may have the leg strength and lungs to do it. Good luck!

mtbr member

Re: Trying to sort gear ratios.

Ya I looked at 1x10 now that I can look at ratios, even going up to 36t cassette I'm just not close to ready to do some of the climbs I have ridden without granny range.

On the upside 34t big ring with a 11-36 cassette will give me more top end (which I have ran into a want for) but loose minimal very little in the low end over my 32 which simply translates to slightly more use of granny ring atm till my conditioning improves more.

However I decided to take another look at my fd lack of shifting..... You wouldn't think it mattered but I accidently bought the 9s slx fd when I switched to 2x10. But my sram x9 fd is very clearly 2x10!!! Outcome= x9 fd fixed my issue. Got sort of "ramps" in the fd cage itself and now I have perfect shifting all except if in biggest 2 on cassette but even then better than anything I had.

So problem was my lack of paying attention to what i buy or that x9 fd is just better than slx fd.

Trek Marlin 29er

Professional Crastinator
    nevermind
    It's never easier - you just go faster.