FM
    luxatio erecta

trimming hans dampfs for better rolling resistance?

So Iíve got a few dry conditions rides in on my hans dampf 29x2.35 (trailstar tubeless etc) and so farÖ my impression is that traction is awesome but this tire is slower rolling that I would like (at least, compared to the 2.4 purgatorys Iím coming off, which were close in weight).

I was pondering cutting off every other lug in the intermediate row. Never tried trimming tires before, but it seems like this might decrease weight/rolling resistance and also help the tire clear thick mud better when the rains come.

Ive played around with pressure, generally running between 21-23psi.

OTOHÖ itís a pricey tireÖ maybe I should sell it and move the nobby nic up front.

Thoughts or comments?

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    So Iíve got a few dry conditions rides in on my hans dampf 29x2.35 (trailstar tubeless etc) and so farÖ my impression is that traction is awesome but this tire is slower rolling that I would like (at least, compared to the 2.4 purgatorys Iím coming off, which were close in weight).

I was pondering cutting off every other lug in the intermediate row. Never tried trimming tires before, but it seems like this might decrease weight/rolling resistance and also help the tire clear thick mud better when the rains come.

OTOHÖ itís a pricey tireÖ maybe I should sell it and move the nobby nic up front.

Thoughts or comments?
    I'd sell it or hang on to it for rides where rolling resistance is not as much of a concern. Can not say that I could personally recommend a Schwalbe tire as they have turned me away based on price alone. I'd get a Rampage and not worry about it, but that is just my opinion.

usually cranky
    if you got the stones to hack up a $90 tire moar power to ya

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    if you got the stones to hack up a $90 tire moar power to ya
    Yeah I didn't pay nearly that much for it, but still... modify or sell/replace? it's a tough call. First time I've actually felt like a tire was too sticky. Might change my mind once the rain comes...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yep, i've found them to be pretty rubbish in the mud, to the point where i don't like them at all. They don't clear well at all where i ride and they seem to squirm badly when its very wet. They also seem to wear very quickly, albeit not as bad as the nic on the rear. Very grippy in the dry/damp though. I would sell it and get something that is more suited to your needs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    So I’ve got a few dry conditions rides in on my hans dampf 29x2.35 (trailstar tubeless etc) and so far… my impression is that traction is awesome but this tire is slower rolling that I would like (at least, compared to the 2.4 purgatorys I’m coming off, which were close in weight).

OTOH… it’s a pricey tire… maybe I should sell it and move the nobby nic up front.

Thoughts or comments?
    I have ridden the HD and found the traction great. I had the same problem, slow rolling and wear. I would suggest that you buy the bontrager xr4 in 2.2 or 2.35. The 2.2 is huge and the team issue weighs 582 grams. In a blind test I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Its not a popular brand, but I really don't care. They work. I dare you to try them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

FM
    luxatio erecta
    That's tempting, I've had good luck with the bontrager big earl tires on my 26'er.
    They are actually running higher prices than I paid for my schwalbes though!

If you're aware of any deals lemme know! Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Your mod would increase the rolling resistance if anything by further exposing the edge of the knob left behind.

If you were to cut the tire to make it roll faster, cut all of the knobs except for the far cornering knobs in half. This is what downhillers refer to as "center clip"

Another mod, popular with rear tires in particular is the "full clip" where every knob is cut in half. This will effectively make every knob feel stiffer taking away some of the squirm thus decreasing rolling resistance.

That being said, I like the hans dampf a lot, and don't mind the rolling resistance that much. If you really need to be lugging around a 800+ gram tire rolling speed shouldn't be any concern.

Matt

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Thanks thats good info on tire mods.

Funny thing is, the schwalbes (HD front / nobby nic rear both 2.35) replaced specialized purgatory 2.4's F&R which were the same total weight. The Purgatories were awesome in dry conditions, but I didn't care for them on wet rock & roots. Then I put the schwalbes on and we haven't had any rain since.

It is actually the rolling resistance on DH trails that's bugging me. We have some new local machine-built, chainless style pumpy DH trails, and the purgatories were noticeably faster than the schwalbes (again, dry conditions). We'll have wet steep roots in a few weeks and maybe the schwalbes will shine then. If not they're coming off!