N1K
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Trek Wahoo rough gear shifting

Everything on bike is stock. Lately bike is shifting roughly even after a good wash. Could it be bad shifters or cassettes that are causing this? Bike is 2 months old with about 800 miles on trails.

mtbr member
    does the bike shop where you bought it offer any sort of free tune-ups for new bikes? (they ought to.) give them a ring. it is most likely "cable stretch" which is a misleading name. the cable itself does not actually stretch, but after some miles, a new cable housing will compress a bit as the housing bed into the ferrules on the ends of the housing. that cable probably has six ferrules on three bits of housing, so there is a lot of room to bed in. a good bike builder (such as myself!) would have "pre-stretched" the cable to minimize this effect before the bike even went on the salesfloor.

as that happens, the housing gets shorter relative to the cable and the cable becomes slack. then when you pull cable by actuating the shifter, the shifter is just pulling the slack out of the cable at first and it does not move the derailleur enough to shift into the right indexed gear.

in other words: your cable has become a little loose. tighten it at the barrel adjuster or loosen the pinch bolt on the derailleur and remove the slack.

N1K
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thank you. I forgot about that. They did tell me to bring it in in a couple of months for a tune up. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    how often do you give that bike a good wash?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Wow! I always thought it was weird that the cables would stretch, considering they are metal (although I'm sure on the physical level, cables do stretch over time, but it seems like it would occur much more slowly, like a guitar string) - it all makes so much more sense now!

N1K
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    This is the first wash. I do brush off any dirty and sand and lube after every ride. Mack is right, time to bring it back to Trek for an adjustment!