mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Trek Remedy 9.8 shock conversion Monarch RC3 Plus

Hey guys, this has probably been talked about 1XXXXX times but I thought I would post some pics of mine and what I used.

2015 Slash upper bolt, looks very clean and stock looking
    Fox 39.88x10mm upper bushing kit plus stock DRCV spacers
    Proshox 39.88x8 lower bushings with 3mm offset.

Everyone knows that the stock shock is 7.75 and there is no bolt on that is a direct, well a shock you would want to mount direct anyways.

From my measurements I found that with the 7.87 shock with 3mm offset comes out to 7.75. Monarch is 199.8mm and with 3mm offset equals 196.8mm, 7.75

Anyways it looks factory I think.

If my calculations are wrong feel free to correct me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Remedy 9.8 shock conversion Monarch RC3 Plus-remedy.jpg  

Trek Remedy 9.8 shock conversion Monarch RC3 Plus-remedy1.jpg  

Trek Remedy 9.8 shock conversion Monarch RC3 Plus-remedy2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Monarch

I didnt use the Ti spacers that come with the Proshox kit, I keep the fox spacers for a more stock look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Remedy 9.8 shock conversion Monarch RC3 Plus-remedy3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    wow excellent work love to hear how it is compared to reaktiv drcv also what fork you got on atm? the 9.8 remedy 29 is truly an epic beast

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think I could add a tuning band as the suspension is so active that I think I could go for a little more compression.

Stock Pike up front but I added a RCT3 damper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Great! this post is the solution! i want do the same on my Remedy 9 29 2015, many thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

shock

Quote Originally Posted by maramouse View Post
    Great! this post is the solution! i want do the same on my Remedy 9 29 2015, many thanks!!!
    Bringing up a old thread, but wanted to make a correction, the eye to eye is going to be about 1.5mm longer then stock. My bushings were not exactly 3mm offset.

It still didnt make any difference on my head angle according to my Iphone.

Cassoulet forever !
    An so, how do you like it now ?
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

shock

Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    An so, how do you like it now ?
    The Monarch seemed to be a little better on the descents, The REActiv seems to be a bit better climbing but doesnt really lack on the descents either.

I would like to try a Float X or a X2, I think the X2 might be a little to active for the full floater.

Right now I have the REActiv back on the bike, I was planning on selling my frame and fork and building something different and I figure It will be easier to sell with the Fox on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Trek Remedy 9.8 shock conversion Monarch RC3 Plus-img_0002.jpgTrek Remedy 9.8 shock conversion Monarch RC3 Plus-img_0004.jpg
    FYI float X wont fit and unless you are on an aluminum Remedy the X2 wont fit either, I have a 2016 9.8 and it hits the seatube. Sadly I learned this the hard way...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Remedy 9.8 shock conversion Monarch RC3 Plus-img_0002.jpg  

Trek Remedy 9.8 shock conversion Monarch RC3 Plus-img_0004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Installed 7.875 x 2.25 without offset bushing

I had purchased a RS 2016 Dual Position Lyric Fork 160/130 and installed on my 15 Remedy 29er 9.8 a month ago. At the 160mm position, it felt great descending but was a bit uncomfortable/unbalanced in the climbs. It was fine however on the 130 setting when climbing....

So I found this post and decided to Purchased the Monarch Plus RC3 but got the ML tune rather than the MM tune based on their Tune Guide.
    140mm/57mm = 2.46, This leans closer towards Low compression tune than Medium.
    http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/san...comp-chart.jpg

So I bought the Slash Upper Bolt with Fox Bushing Kit and ordered the 3mm offset bushing. However, it turns out the offset bushing is only about 1.5mm like the OP mentioned.

My bike is already slacker than normal with the 20mm higher front end so a 1.5mm longer shock would raise my rear wheel by 3.7mm (2.46 x 1.5). I checked the clearance of the seat tube and Evo Link and it cleared nicely. To get the geometry back, you would need another set of offset bushings for the top end of the shock as well.

Took it out for the first time yesterday and it felt great compared to the old shock. The Geometry feels great in both climbing and descending with the 160mm fork. Lower the fork to 130 and it's climbs even better!!
    Small bump sensitivity is amazing and way improved and although the Reaktive shock pedals slightly more efficiently, I think the Monarch pedals just fine and the differences are pretty minimal. With that said, on steep technical climbs, the reactive shock even on climb mode bobs a lot when you stand and pedal. Standing and pedaling on the Monarch doesn't bob nearly as much so it's better than the Reaktive in that regard.
    With Descending there there is no question the Monarch is much better. I think the OP may have had the MM tune rather than the ML tune so it wasn't quite as dialed in.

Trek Remedy 9.8 shock conversion Monarch RC3 Plus-fullsizerender.jpgTrek Remedy 9.8 shock conversion Monarch RC3 Plus-img_7283.jpg
    Last edited by bmwzimmer; 06-13-2017 at 08:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Just bringing up this old thread. I've been experimenting with different shock sizes on my 2014 remedy 29er (which has very similar geometry to the 15' and 16'). One setup that seems to work extremely well is using a: 7.5" X 2" shock instead of the original 7.75" X 2.125" shock. It lowers the frame by 6.35mm and only reduces the stroke by 3.175mm.

You can also add offset bushings in reverse to get the i2i closer to the original if you don't like your BB and headangle that low and slack. So far I'm liking the geometry much more this way. Feels more responsive and confidence inspiring with the lower slacker setup. Just one more shock option if you like to experiment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hmm, so reducing the eye to eye by 0.25" or 6.35mm effectively should lower the rear travel by about 15.58mm since you should multiply this length by the leverage ratio of the bike which is about 2.5-2.6 (140mm total travel / 54mm stroke). Thus you have a 125mm travel rear end as a result. However, since the shock's stroke was also reduced by another 3.175mm, your max travel is reduced by ~ 9mm (3.75 x 2.5 = 9.3). Thus instead of having 140mm rear travel, you effectively have 115mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
    Hmm, so reducing the eye to eye by 0.25" or 6.35mm effectively should lower the rear travel by about 15.58mm since you should multiply this length by the leverage ratio of the bike which is about 2.5-2.6 (140mm total travel / 54mm stroke). Thus you have a 125mm travel rear end as a result. However, since the shock's stroke was also reduced by another 3.175mm, your max travel is reduced by ~ 9mm (3.75 x 2.5 = 9.3). Thus instead of having 140mm rear travel, you effectively have 115mm

Not arguing with your math but there's no way this bike has 115mm of travel with 3.175mm less stroke. It feels and rides very similar to the original! It actually feels a tad more plush with the shorter shock (probably due to the shock design) with the same bottomless feel. It feels like it has more travel than my old Evil Following and way more travel than the 105mm Banshee Phantom I had. I've actually used a 7.25 x 1.75" shock (from the Phantom) on it before and even that feels plush but more on par with The Following. I think there's something going on with the leverage curve towards the end of the stroke that's changing the math here. Doesn't make sense when you get on the bike and ride it. I wish there was an easy way to physically measure the movement of the axle. If you have a smaller shock laying around try it out. It turns it into a super fun low/slack ripper.

damned rocks...
    Reducing the eye to eye doesn't mean the bike has less travel, in fact it can have more, it all depends on the linkage design and what path the rear axle does.
    However, reducing the shock travel, effectively means less travel.
    The combination of the two usually means less travel, but by how much it's not that easily determined because the rear axle almost never has a linear path along the travel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Definitely - my only point here is that the leverage curve must be playing a role in not reducing the travel as much as some bikes. It feels like I'm getting the full 125mm with the 2" stroke shock. But something else is happening, it feels like it's got the same endless suspension feel as the original DCRV shock. I've had bikes in the past where I've short shocked them using the same stroke and they feel drastically different. The Remedy 29 seems to do unusually well with the shorter stroke and i2i. It's probably the best geometry/suspension of any 29er I've ridden with the shorter shock. I do have a brand new Canfield Riot frame waiting for me to build up but I'm holding on to my Remedy while I give the Riot a full test.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Dirt, my Calculations were based off a Linear Leverage Ratio Curve since I don't know what the curve looks like on the actual bike. These are all assumptions, what you should do is lock out your fork and let out the air in the shock and measure the actual rear wheel travel at the shock's maximum stroke.