mtbr member
    May 2013

Trek Marlin upgrades

Been enjoying my Trek Marlin for a couple of years now and am ready to make a few upgrades. I've recently purchased new grips and pedals. Now I want to lighten the bike. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Tires, wheels and fork.

mtbr member
    Fork is the big one, stock fork is heavy as hell. Tires next. Wheels arent bad but could use an upgrade at some point.

Not going to fully repeat what I did to my 2012 marlin, but only thing stock is seat post and weight is right about 29-30 lbs atm (roughly 4-5lbs lighter than stock). And thats only with slight upgrade to Rock ShoxXC 32Tk forks which was 1.5-2 lbs savings right there. Spending money on the Rebas (which Im going either those or Manitou Tower Pro forks) will shed off close to another lb and improve handling alot.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    I have a Marlin 2012 model, what fork and tyres you suggest, I use my bike only as a city bike.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The upgrade recommendations were aimed toward trail riding. They aren't needed for road. Schwalbe Big Apple tires are one option.
    I would do a continuous housing/cable run with lined housing and slick coated stainless cable. You have to drill the stops enough for the housing to go through at the mid points.

Fat-tired Roadie
    For city riding, as long as it goes, stops and shifts, the rest doesn't matter. You're slow because there are lots of stop signs and intersections.

If you have to replace your fork and tires anyway, go for a rigid fork and slick tires. I'm fond of my Continental Grand Prix 4000s; you probably would want to choose the widest available size for less weirdness putting them on MTB wheels. The Marlin's a 29er, isn't it?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Village Newbie
    I have a 2012 Marlin, the first thing I would do is ditch the crappy stock tires, if you are still on them.

Lots of forks to pick from, Manitou Tower pro is widely liked by people here, as are Rock Shox forks. Suntour upgrade program, but to get the better Epicon you gotta buy a 15mm wheel, its an added expense but you can pick a better wheel(s) than the crappy wheels that the bike came with. Lose the boat anchor fork & you will lighten the bike dramatically. Mine came with a 2590gram XCMv3 fork, I replaced it with a 1776gram Recon Gold TK.

Some people will say is you lose the turning radius, steering of G2 offset unless you pony up the extra $ to get a fork with it, many other riders who have posted here haven't noticed it, that's why I wasn't really concerned.

I want to get a carbon bar for mine someday and at least one good brake that modulates better than tektro Alivios do, the 2 position (on & off) braking sucks.

mtbr member
    What are you riding? Trails or Pavement or both?

If you have been riding for a few years on it I hope you've gotten better tires but if not that is where I would start.

I have a 2012 with a Manitou Tower Expert (1/2 lb heavier then the pro) and its made a HUGE difference in the bike. The next place to lose weight are the wheels but that wont be cheap. I'm going to a 1x10 in the near future which will help a little with weight.

mtbr member
    Which tyres would you suggest, considering that I ride 75% on bitumen and the rest on dirt roads.
    Cheers

Fat-tired Roadie
    Second-tier XC low-knob tires. For example, the middle-priced version of the Schwalbe Racing Ralph. The expensive ones have a soft compound you'll kill really fast. And life is too short for the cheapest tires. For disclosure, my team jersey says "Schwalbe" on it somewhere. Another brand's competitor would probably be fine too.

The idea is to keep the noise and rolling resistance down on asphalt and use volume (so go with a 2.1" or larger) to retain some grip off-road.

mtbr member

Trek marlin 2012 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Second-tier XC low-knob tires. For example, the middle-priced version of the Schwalbe Racing Ralph. The expensive ones have a soft compound you'll kill really fast. And life is too short for the cheapest tires. For disclosure, my team jersey says "Schwalbe" on it somewhere. Another brand's competitor would probably be fine too.

The idea is to keep the noise and rolling resistance down on asphalt and use volume (so go with a 2.1" or larger) to retain some grip off-road.
    Would be possible to replace with 26" wheels and tires instead of 29" that I have now, without changing anything?
    Cheer

Fat-tired Roadie
    All things possible with enough tinkering. If you have disc brakes, 26" wheels should drop right in. They might make the handling weird. I've thought 29ers are cool since the first time I demoed a hardtail with that wheel size. So I can't help wondering why you'd want to make the swap.

mtbr member
    especially for city riding....i would think the 29er rolling wheels would be better