mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Trek Mamba hub upgrade

Im not happy with the Formula loose ball bearing hubs. Im looking to switch to a cartridge bearing type hub. What are my best, low cost options? (less than $300)

Re: Trek Mamba hub upgrade

I used the 29er specific rear hub from Shimano and it was great for the low cost.

bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/mountain/slx/product.-code-FH-M529.-type-.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I used the 29er specific rear hub from Shimano and it was great for the low cost.
    Thanks for the link... I may just end up spending a little more on a Stans wheel set and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Shimano hubs have "loose balls"

•Cup & Cone bearings
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Ooops... duh.

Too much caffeine... too little reading of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolGuyDave View Post
    Thanks for the link... I may just end up spending a little more on a Stans wheel set and be done with it.
    Have you seen the new Race Face Turbine wheelset just announced? Looks like a good all around wheelset... not sure if you have stock fork though or not because it uses 15mm front axle. You would have stronger straight pull spokes... 3 pawl freehub, tubeless ready... and this one does have sealed cartridge bearings

$599 too... great price!

First Look: Race Face 2014 - Next SL Cranks and Turbine Wheelset - Pinkbike

Next Gen Race Face Next SL Crankset Unveiled, 495 Grams All In ? Plus Wheels!

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolGuyDave View Post
    Im not happy with the Formula loose ball bearing hubs. Im looking to switch to a cartridge bearing type hub. What are my best, low cost options? (less than $300)
    What don't you like about them?

Nothing wrong with loose ball. In fact, they usually have less drag than cartridge bearing hubs, and you can adjust the preload.

Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    ... including XTR. Shinano is sticking with angular contact (like all) cup and cone because they can take side loads way better than cartridge bearings.

IMO, the real reasons to upgrade are:

To get a lighter hub
    Faster engagement (more points of contact)
    Less drag (but your hub should be pretty dang low already, if adjusted properly)
    stiffer axle

mtbr member

I ride a Marlin (though only thing stock is the seat post) and I swear by "cup and cone" bearings. Being able to easily service, set my preload perfectly and that the style bearings have never failed me. From riding as a young teen and now at 32 and 270 lbs I've made about every load bearing moving part fail in one way or the other. Except my hub bearings.

To each their own but i will never use a different type of hub bearing if I can avoid it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I happen to have bent my front wheel and axle on my marlin this morning.

Did you ever have to replace your axle? If so did you go back with oem parts or upgrade?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The reason for not liking them is because there is a lot of friction in the front hub. I took it apart and reset the preload and its better for now. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    What don't you like about them?
    If you slack off on maintenance and the hubs don't have enough grease, it's not hard to wear out the bearing races. That's my complaint. And you can't do diddly squat about it except replace the hub (which usually means replacing the wheel).

Not an issue for people who service their stuff often. But for the average rider, it's a costly repair and otherwise acceptable wheels are pretty much shot. I once encountered this on a customer's Ultegra road wheelset and even getting replacement cones was difficult and costly. The 6600 hubs used in Shimano's pre-built wheelsets used different cones from those used in the standalone hubs. It only marginally helped since the races were pitted. And this was on a road wheelset.

Cartridge bearing hubs don't present those issues. The bearings can become gritty and all you need to do is press out the old and press in the new.

mtbr member

Well thing is if your going to not maintain a mountain bike hub bearings are least of ur worries. Just like a car, you maintain it or its going to be trash long before it should be. Take care of it and it'll last a long time.

And problem isn't the loose bearing hub lack of maintenance, problem is the crap grease they use to assemble at factory so you have to clean and regrease too often. Any bike I have owned from teens till the one I ride now get automotive wheel bearing grease in the hub bearings. My old 17yr old huffy I rode as a teen I dug outta my parents garage in spring after 12yrs of not being ridden. Cables ceased, brakes and everything else shot except my head set and wheel bearings (which is why I swear by auto grease now) . Downside though is messy. Used it on my Walmart bike last year cause well..it was a Walmart bike, anything I could do to make it last. And rode like new till I sold it to a friend a few months ago. He just thanked me for how I did things on it cause still rides perfect and his sons bike has been a pos. But I'm yet to see a bike grease that isn't nasty after a month of my riding yet auto grease used begining of summer on my current bike still looks like the day I put it in.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    May 2013

New question here.

i want to change my brake set as well as my hubs. I decided to go for XT brakes (785), with Rotor SM-RT81-M and but confused about hubs. I am a novice. Will mamba support thru-axle hubs? what is difference between FH-M788-L & FH-M785-L ?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    should i need adapters?

Rub it............
    Looking at the picture, your Mamba uses QR's both front and rear. Will not support thru axles as it comes from Trek.

The FH-M788-L is for bikes with a 142mm rear dropout width. Not going to fit your bike. You will need the FH-M785-L rear hub to work with your 135mm spacing.