mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Trek Hi Fi Plus: Worth upgrading? If so, what?

So a bit of background..

I'm a somewhat casual rider. I do some decent climbs, but really no technical stuff. General single track, no rock gardens or that kind of stuff.

A few years ago I bought a Hi Fi Plus. It's my first "real" bike, before that I had an entry level trek and your run of the mill wal mart bikes.

Overall it's been fine. Not an amazing bike, but not bad either. I like the feel of the bike - it's really the details that piss me off.

Issues I currently have:
    - Brakes always squeal. Start, middle, and end of ride. Currently it has Juicy 3's. If I upgrade anything, I want to start here (I've already had the brakes cleaned, sanded, and replaced the pads with organics, and they still suck)

- Rear hub squeaks during a petal stroke. Pretty sure this was the local bike shop's fault (they rebuilt the hub after saying it was loose). But I'll never bring it there again (I've had it in maybe 10 times and never once has it come out with an issue fixed). Debating going with tubeless rims (I run stans notubes in the stock rims now) and just dumping the entire wheel

- Front shift lever sticks. Bike shop tried to fix, still sticks. Debating just dumping the X7's for something better.

The chain also jumps of once every few rides.

I'm just wondering if it's worth upgrading this bike or if I should buy a new one. I really can't afford a new one (looked at a Santa Cruz for about 3 grand today), so if I could make this bike rock with new parts I'd prefer to do that. I bike almost every other day though, so it's a big deal to have a decent bike. I'm fine with honest opinions. I know it's not an amazing bike, but it's what I could afford at the time.

Edit: Also, if upgrading is recommended, what parts would be compatible / worth the upgrade?

mtbr member
    upgrade the brakes. Juicy 3's suck. get some Shimano brakes. even Deores would be a big improvement.

get the other stuff fixed properly. find a bike shop that knows what it is doing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    upgrade the brakes. Juicy 3's suck. get some Shimano brakes. even Deores would be a big improvement.

get the other stuff fixed properly. find a bike shop that knows what it is doing.
    Yes I think you have the right idea. I'm bringing it in today to have it looked at. There's a highly recommended shop somewhat close to me, so I'll try that out instead

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Same bike, same journey. Replacing the stock pads made a world of difference, no more squeaking and stopping improved. I think the brand of pads were disco or something like that. I do plan on upgrading at least the front brake in the future, but replacing the pads made the Juicy 3's tolerable. I replaced the 3x10 x7 up front with 2x10 x9. I'm going to stay with the x7 in the rear until it breaks. I have not had a problem with the chain jumping off the front since the change. I replaced the wheels with Stan's Arch. Again big difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by h00k247 View Post
    Same bike, same journey. Replacing the stock pads made a world of difference, no more squeaking and stopping improved. I think the brand of pads were disco or something like that. I do plan on upgrading at least the front brake in the future, but replacing the pads made the Juicy 3's tolerable. I replaced the 3x10 x7 up front with 2x10 x9. I'm going to stay with the x7 in the rear until it breaks. I have not had a problem with the chain jumping off the front since the change. I replaced the wheels with Stan's Arch. Again big difference.
    Yeah I may have to look up those pads. I put on organic avid's and it's not really much better. I'm in the process of upgrading but it's pretty low on my list right now due to $