Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    424

    Trance X1 29er's paint easily damaged by rain + mud.

    3 days ago my mate and I rode 6 hours in extreme weather condition (non-stop raining). There was some mud on the top tube of my Trance X1 29er.

    When I got home that day I washed my bike using plain water, after washing and drying it, I noticed the clear coating on the top tube was gone.

    Has anyone else got similar problems with the paint of Giant Trance X 29er?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10
    Myself and my friends have wrapped our Trance X 29ers (1 and 0) and other bikes in a black vinyl book wrap. No need to worry about chips and what not. Vinyl also peels off easy when required.

  3. #3
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,093
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    3 days ago my mate and I rode 6 hours in extreme weather condition (non-stop raining). There was some mud on the top tube of my Trance X1 29er.

    When I got home that day I washed my bike using plain water, after washing and drying it, I noticed the clear coating on the top tube was gone.

    Has anyone else got similar problems with the paint of Giant Trance X 29er?
    I cover all my bikes with 3M stone guard, It's clear so the bike looks the same & can take a beating.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    3 days ago my mate and I rode 6 hours in extreme weather condition (non-stop raining). There was some mud on the top tube of my Trance X1 29er.

    When I got home that day I washed my bike using plain water, after washing and drying it, I noticed the clear coating on the top tube was gone.

    Has anyone else got similar problems with the paint of Giant Trance X 29er?
    Thats not right unless you have a high concentrate of acid rain :P. I've never heard of clear coat coming off from mud. thats definitely a problem you should take up with your giant dealer

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: objectuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    112
    Any update on what the dealer or Giant said?

  6. #6
    I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Reputation: Zachariah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,317
    Giant is notorious for lousy quality paint. Shoe rub and even a brush with a thick bush will show.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    278
    I'd like to see a vid of someone wrapping up their bike in this 3m stuff. Seems like a great idea. Any vids out there?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    Any update on what the dealer or Giant said?
    I brought my bike to the lbs where I bought it, they don't wan't to cover it because according to them its my fault because I used my bike in extreme weather conditions.

    Anyway I will end up selling this bike next week and purchase a Trance x Advance 27.5 or a Yeti sb75.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    42
    So you're selling a Trance because it has crappy paint, only to probably buy another Trance?

    FWIW my paint is just fine, have had no problems mud or otherwise. It honestly sounds like a defect and the LBS should be working for you, not against you. THEY'RE not paying for anything, just facilitating the request to GIANT to warranty their faulty paint job.

    I think you should ditch that LBS and find another Giant dealer.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavm View Post
    So you're selling a Trance because it has crappy paint, only to probably buy another Trance?

    FWIW my paint is just fine, have had no problems mud or otherwise. It honestly sounds like a defect and the LBS should be working for you, not against you. THEY'RE not paying for anything, just facilitating the request to GIANT to warranty their faulty paint job.

    I think you should ditch that LBS and find another Giant dealer.

    I'm selling it becauSe I'm not happy with the 29er bike, especially this trance x29er, because I find t less nimble to ride, very slow in cornering, this bike is not a good climber, vey slow to climb and I have to exert more effort to pedal than 26" bike.

    Since 26" will be phaseout soon, I'd buy a 650b, it rides almost as 26". Ive
    Tested the trance x advance 27.5 it's way faster than my 29er. Also lighter than 29er.
    I'm not too sure if I should buy the trance advance or just the trance alloy version of 27.5.

    How tough the carbon frame of giant, I'm worried I might crack the frame if I crash hard.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,513
    Carbon frames are not as delicate as people make them out to be. If you can cough up the scratch for the Trance Advance, go for it. If you crash hard enough to damage the frame, getting the frame warrantied will be the least of your concerns.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: objectuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    112
    Thanks for the update on the paint.

    I have a 2014 Trance X 29er 1 and I agree it's not as quick as the 27.5 Trance X versions. I have had better success climbing on the 29er though. That may just be my skill level though.

    I recently have become much better on the corners with it. I raced BMX as a kid and have been doing some of the same things; shifting my weight over the front, using my knees to add inside weight. Anyway, not a thread about that ... hard to go wrong with most of the current bikes out there.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    Thanks for the update on the paint.

    I have a 2014 Trance X 29er 1 and I agree it's not as quick as the 27.5 Trance X versions. I have had better success climbing on the 29er though. That may just be my skill level though.

    I recently have become much better on the corners with it. I raced BMX as a kid and have been doing some of the same things; shifting my weight over the front, using my knees to add inside weight. Anyway, not a thread about that ... hard to go wrong with most of the current bikes out there.
    I find it when I use my sb66 I climb and accelerate faster. However, I have to give this bike to my mrs. Lol.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,284
    I ride my Trance X 29-1 in AZ where rocks ding off the downtube constantly and the paint holds up really well.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

Similar Threads

  1. damaged 29er xtc composite
    By Daverhea in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 08:00 PM
  2. 2012 Trance X2 or 2013 Trance X2 29er?
    By reid.post in forum Giant
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-29-2013, 01:48 PM
  3. How to easily take off and reinstall non-locking grips easily
    By burtonridr in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-09-2012, 03:25 PM
  4. Trance x3 bottoming out too easily?
    By bassman1441 in forum Giant
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 02:28 PM
  5. 1993 Rock Lobster with rain forest camo paint
    By First Flight in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 10:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •