Thread: Trail King 2.4?

mtbr member

Trail King 2.4?

Was down at my LBS today, and saw a new Salsa El Mar with the Conti Trail King tires in 2.2. Holy crap did it look like a big 2.2 tire. On Continental's website, there is no listing for the tire in 2.4, but some online store's are claiming to have stock. Sorry if I missed it, but are 2.4 Trail King's out that are part of the new made in Germany batch? I haven't really followed the Continental line.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 11-09-2012 at 09:54 PM.

I'm with stupid
    I hope so I would love a set on my nimble 9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I hope so I would love a set on my nimble 9
    Well, here's one source. Nice advertising write up. Claims black chili, but then says made in India:

Continental Trail King 29 Tire

I'm with stupid
    Hmmm well it sure sounds good that is for sure.

mtbr member
    OP/Hitech:
    I've been running a set on my TBLTc for the past month.5. That 2.2 ain't squat! The 2.4s are on par w/ the 26er, and they're friggin' ginormous! I sit the bike next to my Minion DHR 2.5s,a nd they're every bit as big.
    The only caveat, they're 1100g each!

Edit: I run mine tubeless. But it took two sealing sessions w/ Stan's goo and a full day sideways on a bucket to seal completely. I'm also using the Bonty rim strips. They're mounted on the heavier/stronger wider Nancy carbon rims.

Last edited by Pau11y; 11-09-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

MTB B'dos
    Where'd you find those TK Pau11y? Any more pics showing tread and side by side with the DHFs? They look pretty huge. How much room you got in the back on your LTC with them?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I don't get why you guys are saying that these tires are large volume. The 2.4 appears to be really a 2.2" tire. The posted link has the following measurements which are all below the labelled width:

Actual Tire Width on 21mm rim (inner rim width) inflated to 32psi:
    Casing width: 2.2 = 2.17", 2.4 = 2.21"
    Maximum Knob Width: 2.2 = 2.14", 2.4 = 2.21"

I've been riding Nobby Nic and Purgatory tires the past year or two and both of them are larger than stated.

Also, are the Trail King actually TLR. I still can't make out from Continental which are and which aren't.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    K, got some pics.
    1. TK 2.4 on wider Nancy rim, internal width is 23mm. Roughly 2.35". I run these at around 30psi.
    2. TK 2.2 on Reynolds 19mm (or was it 20...?) internal width rim. About 2.26. I run these at around 34psi.
    3. DHF on Mavic EX729, internal width of...?...30mm. 2.36". Inflated to around 32psi.
    4. DHR on Mavic EX729. Around 2.4". Inflated to 34psi.
    5. The TK 2.4 is TIGHT in the TBLTc.

I'd be careful ordering these tires and frame fitment...

Ronny, what rim are you getting your numbers off of...know the internal width?

Edit: I forgot to answer...I got mine from QBP...or rather, a buddy at a shop ordered them from QBP. I'm building another set of Nancy wheels w/ the normal weighted wider rims and will be using a set of 2.2s next. These 2.4s are boat anchors...great for the downs, but going up...?!?! Nothing like an extra pound on the outer most point of each wheel to make you get fit quick!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail King 2.4?-tk2.4onnancywider.jpg  

Trail King 2.4?-tk2.2on19mm.jpg  

Trail King 2.4?-dhfonex729.jpg  

Trail King 2.4?-dhronex729.jpg  

Trail King 2.4?-tk2.4intbltcrear.jpg  

Last edited by Pau11y; 11-10-2012 at 03:24 PM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

I'm with stupid
    Thanks for posting pics, are these the famous black chili versions? Also how do they do on wet rocks with the wet/snow season coming up quickly.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting pics, are these the famous black chili versions? Also how do they do on wet rocks with the wet/snow season coming up quickly.
    I think they're Black Chili...
    I find these tires don't do so hot on wet, mo' betta on scratchy/dusty. I think Maxxis make 29er Minions...?yeah?. I'd take that soft compound over the Schili for wet outings on Apex
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

beater
    I don't think the Black Chili Trail Kings are available yet. The Continental guy I talked to last month told me they'd be out by spring. I'd love to be wrong, though.

If they're Black Chili, they'll read "Made in Germany."
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    If they're Black Chili, they'll read "Made in Germany."
    Correct...at least currently w/ the 26er rubber. But has that changed, or will it be status quo?

From what info I have, I think mine were made in Malaysia (sorry, had to go check spelling )...??
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

I'm with stupid
    Hmm it looks more and more like I will be on cut nevegals this fall-spring.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Correct...at least currently w/ the 26er rubber. But has that changed, or will it be status quo?

From what info I have, I think mine were made in Malaysia (sorry, had to go check spelling )...??
    Well, their other 29er Black Chili / ProTection tires do, but that's all I know.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Hmm it looks more and more like I will be on cut nevegals this fall-spring.
    Oh, I have a set of those...
    Heard they ride slow...but I don't care considering I won't be moving that quick in the rock on Apex anyway
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

MTB B'dos
    Thanks for the measurements, but yeah, have to agree, that weight isn't what I'm looking for, I'll stick to my proto HR2. No worries on clearance in my frame, chainstay and seatstay both measure 83mm> wide - pic attached is of a 2.4" Ardent on Flow rim
    K, got some pics.
    1. TK 2.4 on wider Nancy rim, internal width is 23mm. Roughly 2.35". I run these at around 30psi.
    2. TK 2.2 on Reynolds 19mm (or was it 20...?) internal width rim. About 2.26. I run these at around 34psi.
    3. DHF on Mavic EX729, internal width of...?...30mm. 2.36". Inflated to around 32psi.
    4. DHR on Mavic EX729. Around 2.4". Inflated to 34psi.
    5. The TK 2.4 is TIGHT in the TBLTc.

I'd be careful ordering these tires and frame fitment...

Edit: I forgot to answer...I got mine from QBP...or rather, a buddy at a shop ordered them from QBP. I'm building another set of Nancy wheels w/ the normal weighted wider rims and will be using a set of 2.2s next. These 2.4s are boat anchors...great for the downs, but going up...?!?! Nothing like an extra pound on the outer most point of each wheel to make you get fit quick!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    If you are referring to the measurements I posted above, they are not mine. They are from the Art's Cyclery link posted above on the "Features" page. They mention a 21mm. internal width rim. If you want to know on what rim my Nobby Nics and Purgatory are mounted to give larger than published width, they are on Stan's Flow.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

I'm with stupid
    Oh, I have a set of those...
    Heard they ride slow...but I don't care considering I won't be moving that quick in the rock on Apex anyway
    Thats what shuttling is for

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    If you are referring to the measurements I posted above, they are not mine. They are from the Art's Cyclery link posted above on the "Features" page. They mention a 21mm. internal width rim. If you want to know on what rim my Nobby Nics and Purgatory are mounted to give larger than published width, they are on Stan's Flow.
    Ronnie. My guess is that Art's Cyc. ad is wrong. Just a guess though. Did you notice that early in the ad the claim is that the TK 2.4 measures out close to 2.5? The TK 2.2 tire I saw on the El Mariachi appeared closer to a 2.3. Similar the to width posted up here in the pics. Maybe it's an optical illusion due to the largeness of the knobs, and perhaps the casing/sidewall width is not so impressive. The knobs are as aggressive looking as I've seen on a 29er tire in person, and I've run the Nobby Nic in 2.35 and the 2.4 Purgatory. Visually, the TK 2.2 looked every bit the Nic. However, at 1100 grams for the TK 2.4, I'll likely pass on ordering a TK without riding/testing first because I can get a lot of 2.4 tire at 800 grams elsewhere.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 11-10-2012 at 10:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Visually, the TK 2.2 looked every bit the Nic. However, at 1100 grams, I'll likely pass.
    Wanna point out that the 2.4s are 1100g. The 2.2s are around...850g...??
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Yes, I wrote that poorly. I'll go edit.

The White Jeff W
    Edit: I run mine tubeless. But it took two sealing sessions w/ Stan's goo and a full day sideways on a bucket to seal completely.
    I had a similar experience mounting the 26" version on Flows except that I never got them to hold air and eventually gave up.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That's just silly. My 2.2 Ardent's are ~850, but they're full UST and leak less air than my tubed setups. If they're going to drool for three days, I'll take an Ardent 2.4 at ~850. I keep wanting to like Conti tires, but I've yet to find a redeeming feature in them.

mtbr member
    Upon further review...

So when I started this thread, after seeing the TK 2.2 at my LBS, I had asked the shop owner if he could get the 2.4, and whether he could find out if they were the German made tires. He tried to look on the QBP website, but it was temporarily down. He said he'd call me once the website came back up. I get the call the next day and the owner had actually ordered a couple each of the 2.2 and the 2.4. No they are not made in Germany as of yet. Long story shortened a bit...I bought the 2.4, though I wouldn't have even asked the shop owner about the tire after learning about the weight from this thread.

Anyways, I pulled the 2.4 Purgatory I use off the rear wheel, and put the 2.4 TK on. Pumped up without sealant, just to check size. Not impressed. Looks like it's not much bigger than the TK 2.2 I saw down at the shop. I'm going to take my wheel down to the shop to check the 2.4 against the 2.2. I suspect the 2.2 is very close to the 2.4. Because the 2.2 is 150-200 grams lighter, I'll see if I can trade should the size be similar.

BTW, the TK 2.4 I bought weighed in at 990 grams on the LBS scale. We checked the other 2.4 and it was 1040.

Edit: Upon further, further review...I checked my wheel with a TK2.4 on a Flow rim against the 2.2 on a narrower rim. The 2.4 was not so much bigger, even on the wider rim, so as to make me think a rider is better off with the larger tire. If I were buying, I think I'd go with the 2.2 and save the weight. The measurements provided by Pau11y earlier in this thread seem spot on. The 2.2 would be close to a 2.3 on a Flow rim, and the 2.4 is closer to a 2.35. I'll give a ride report for slippery, rooty conditions soon.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 11-21-2012 at 09:32 PM.

mtbr member
    So I set the TK 2.4 up tubeless last night on Flow rims and using Stan's liquid. Did the wheel shake and laid the wheels flat, set, and flipped a couple times. Sealed up overnight. Went pretty easy, especially considering some of the reports. Went for a ride today on wet, slippery PNW trails and roots. The soil handles water well, so we don't get mud/muck so much as slippery slime. These conditions are hard on most any tire, but I've had the best success so far on the rear wheel using a Bonty Mud X and the Purgatory 2.4. The Bonty is the best grip I've ever gotten, and I love the tire, but it's only 2.0. The Purg is great all around/year round where I live, but the sidewalls are thin. I ride rigid, alone, and on the slippery, so I move slow.

First impressions on the TK 2.4: Pretty slow roller. Couldn't feel the added weight, 180 grams over the Purgatory, but the TK was slower. The TK struggled with the roots, especially off camber, but the tire bit as soon as it found dirt purchase. I never feared for my life. The squirrely was much improved as I dropped air pressures. I'm hopeful that if I find the right pressure that the tire will handle the roots well enough to take advantage of some of its most positive attributes. For example, I thought the TK was/is pretty great at out of the saddle climbing. The Purg often loses traction in that situation, but is better for me on roots. The sidewalls on the TK are pretty thick, so I will be testing the limits of low air pressure soon enough.

I've read that the TK 2.2 from Germany that is coming out--or maybe is out--is 740 grams with the protection sidewalls and better tubeless capabilities and the black chili compound. If that tire is as wide as the TK 2.2 I've seen, then I think it would make for a terrific front tire under fork suspension. For now, I can't see any advantage to running the 2.4.