Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trace/Revelation/F34/Pike

I'm building up a RIP 9 and am having some trouble with fork options. Here's my line of thought:

If the Pike was available now, I'd buy it and that'd be the end of it. I can't simply wait for it - I have literally nothing to ride until I get a fork.

I need something to ride at least until the Pike is available, at which time I can sell what I'm riding, or keep it, if I like it.

The Trace is affordable - is it really comparable in terms of performance and relative resale value when comparing to the Fox 34?

The Revelation has many fans, but I can get the more stout Trace for less.

The Fox is probably the best comparison to the Pike, but I'm not sure if I want to drop the coin on it. I had one on my last (stolen) RIP that I liked well enough, but there are lighter options. Do I need the big stanchions?

I'm 175 with gear, climb a lot, bomb uber rocky descents, and ride 3-4 times a week.

Fox 34: $740
    Trace: $540
    RS Rev: $590
    Pike: $??? - likely to be close to the Fox pricing

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    One more thing: the Revelation price is the dual position fork. I really don't want a white fork, unless it's the Pike, and the single position Revelation is about $500. Seeing as how resale is most likely with the Revelation, I'd willing to give dual position a try if I go with that fork, but I don't really see it as being a primary concern. Not interested in a Talas (too pricey), or DLA.

mtbr member
    You can get the Revelation under $500 from CRC.

Where are you finding the Trace and 34 for your listed pricing?

mtbr member
    I don't see any of the RCT3 models for that price on CRC. There's an RL for $423, a 2012 dual air for $543, and a 2013 dual position RCT3 for $777.

Check your PMs for your other question.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    I don't see any of the RCT3 models for that price on CRC. There's an RL for $423, a 2012 dual air for $543, and a 2013 dual position RCT3 for $777. Check your PMs for your other question.
    HuH? First item I found with search for "revelation" on their site. RCT3 dual air -> Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 29" Dual Air 1.5" Taper 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    HuH? First item I found with search for "revelation" on their site. RCT3 dual air -> Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 29" Dual Air 1.5" Taper 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    That's the 2012 dual air I'm referencing... By the time I buy adapters and a roof fork mount, it's well up over $600. My wheelset is 15mm as it sits and I already have a 15mm adapter for my roof rack, which is my main method of transportation for the bike.

Wondering if, even considering those additional purchases, if it'd be worth it. Is a 2012 Revelation > the 2014 Trace?

mtbr member
    One more appeal for opinions... probably going to pull the trigger today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Is a 2012 Revelation > the 2014 Trace?
    I haven't found anyone on these boards with first hand knowledge of the Trace, so I doubt you'll find many responses. I'd say if you'd be happy with the Fox in the long run, then just get that. If this fork is just to hold you over until the Pike comes out, then buy whatever is cheapest. Get the Rev for $540 and sell it for $450 later this year.

mtbr member

That's pretty much what I'm thinking at this point, but along those same lines, I could probably sell a 3 month old Fox 34 for $650-$700, no?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I guess I look at it as risk. If you know you're going to sell it, then you have much less exposure with the Rev. The market size for a Rev at $450 is much greater than that of a $700 used fork. If the Trace finally arrives in quantity and performs as well as their 26er forks, the resale value of an F34 is likely to take a hit. If you dump the bike and put some rock rash on the fork, you can still unload the Rev for $400 easy. I'm thinking you'd take a bigger hit on the Fox.

On the other hand, if you think you'd be happy with the F34, then certainly just buy that now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you can't wait a couple weeks for what you want - the Pike (what I'd wait for), I'd get a Trace. Good price point, good performance and I think it will always appeal to someone wanting to pay less than what a Fox or Pike costs for a 140mm beefy fork. I think the Pike hurts the resale market for a 140mm Rev (I'd buy a SID at 120mm) and the new improved 2014 Fox CTD curves and Floats now in black for 2014 hurts the resale appeal for 2013 Fox 34 Floats.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    If you can't wait a couple weeks for what you want - the Pike (what I'd wait for), I'd get a Trace. Good price point, good performance and I think it will always appeal to someone wanting to pay less than what a Fox or Pike costs for a 140mm beefy fork. I think the Pike hurts the resale market for a 140mm Rev (I'd buy a SID at 120mm) and the new improved 2014 Fox CTD curves and Floats now in black for 2014 hurts the resale appeal for 2013 Fox 34 Floats.
    I wish I could wait. I haven't ridden at all in a month, as it is. I'll be in Oregon for 3 weeks in June and HAVE to ride. It'd be a sin not to.

I'll probably be fine on the 2014 F34 that I just bought. Might skip the Pike, depending on the price and the market for my used F34.

I think we need to stop and think about how good these times are, here. Look how much we have to choose from! All quality options, too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cool. Great that you got a 2014. Supposed to be really nice with the new curves. Definitely not worth doing anything rash. Would personally not do anything unless you demo a Pike in a few months and are blown away by it. Appreciate a ride report on the 2014 F34.

I wish I could wait. I haven't ridden at all in a month, as it is. I'll be in Oregon for 3 weeks in June and HAVE to ride. It'd be a sin not to.

I'll probably be fine on the 2014 F34 that I just bought. Might skip the Pike, depending on the price and the market for my used F34.

I think we need to stop and think about how good these times are, here. Look how much we have to choose from! All quality options, too.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member

Bigger question now is the 2014 Float really black?

As for the Pike, who knows, maybe the first gen will suck as hard as the 2013 CTD stuff since they now have also been completely revamped for 2014.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Bigger question now is the 2014 Float really black?

As for the Pike, who knows, maybe the first gen will suck as hard as the 2013 CTD stuff since they now have also been completely revamped for 2014.
    Black, indeed! I think it's available in white, still, as well.

I haven't been riding for all that long, but one thing I'm noticing is that every year, something awesome and new comes out. Groundbreaking, revolutionary, game changing... Maybe I'll just wait to see what 2015 has to offer me.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Good choice indeed. You can always bet on a great resale value IMO for the Fox 34.

I've had a 2012 Revelation last year for a ride before ditching it and going back to my 2012 Float 34 FIT RLC when it started creaking at the CSU. I preferred the higher A-2-C and overall much stiffer platform for a rider over 200 lbs. Plus I wasn't really feeling the Dual Air set up. With the Fox damper, I set it once in the beginning of the season and never touch it again.

Now which RIP are you building now? The updated aluminum version that came out recently?

mtbr member

That's the one. Black, with X0 stuff, a WolfTooth ring, Reverb, and a sweet set of red Torch Trail wheels.

Cannot wait!
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Carbon & Ti rule
    That's the one. Black, with X0 stuff, a WolfTooth ring, Reverb, and a sweet set of red Torch Trail wheels.

Cannot wait!
    I have got my Pike now so will let you know how it goes after a hard ride tomorrow night.

mtbr member
    Didn't know the Pike was shipping yet. Looks like my F34 will be up for sale soon. The Fox stuff came on my SB-95 and was only temporary for me.
    Santa Cruz Bronson - Specialized Crave Rigid

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cool! Want all the details: actual weight, can it be reduced/increased in travel or is it using different air assemblies at 140, 150 and 160 and most importantly - first ride report

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I have got my Pike now so will let you know how it goes after a hard ride tomorrow night.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Sup
    if there is anything that I have learned on MTBR it is that muzzanic gets anything before anyone else with pics to back it up

true story
    I am slow therefore I am

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt-Orange View Post
    if there is anything that I have learned on MTBR it is that muzzanic gets anything before anyone else with pics to back it up

true story
    I just got back from a 2 1/2 hour night ride on the new pike fork, So will have to do a ride report on it when I get a bit of time.

But in short, it is a nice fork & it is nice & smooth & stiffer than the Revelation RCT3 that I took off my Rip9 RDO.

mtbr member
    I just got back from a 2 1/2 hour night ride on the new pike fork, So will have to do a ride report on it when I get a bit of time.

But in short, it is a nice fork & it is nice & smooth & stiffer than the Revelation RCT3 that I took off my Rip9 RDO.
    I'll be eagerly awaiting your report. In the meantime - a few words about how it compares to the F34?

mtbr member
    Sweet. You lucky dog, you. So exactly how did you manage to score one? Sponsored?
    Santa Cruz Bronson - Specialized Crave Rigid

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoyken View Post
    Sweet. You lucky dog, you. So exactly how did you manage to score one? Sponsored?
    I had 1 on order & They came into stock, There is a Limited number but the New Zealand Importer has them to sell.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast