Knollician

Tower Pro or Slide RL2?

Looking to replace the Talas 120 on my 429. I run the fork in 120 all the time, so I am looking at both forks in the 120 mode. The Tower has a slightly taller axle to crown, but probably manageable. I am looking for durability and performance. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I can get both forks for about the same price. I am unable to get the Fox dialed in to my liking. I live in Phoenix, so we have rough trails. The bike is used more for "XC" type rides.

I have not ridden either brand, I am more of a RS guy, but the prices on these forks is hard to pass up. I like the MARS idea on the Tower, but it seems like the Slide might be a more solid build. I am about 190lb geared up.

Thanks in advance.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

The White Jeff W
    I have no experience with the slide but I will say that I'm very happy with the Tower Pro. I'm totally sold on the small coil/air spring combo. I'm about the same weight as you and don't have any issues with flex. Mine is the 20mm axle version
    No moss...

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    I have no experience with the slide but I will say that I'm very happy with the Tower Pro. I'm totally sold on the small coil/air spring combo. I'm about the same weight as you and don't have any issues with flex. Mine is the 20mm axle version
    Thanks Jeff. I am leaning the Manitou way simply for the adjustability, customer service, and I do like the idea of the MARS. I wish the A2C were a bit lower, but no big deal.

Which spring are you running?

Short-Change-Hero
    If you do some checking you can definitely find my preference....
    I have a 2011 Tower Pro QR and like Jeffw I feel no flex what so ever. The fork does take some fiddling with to get it set right but once you find that (took me about 2 months of fiddling) you will never think about it again. Well worth the money and their CS is second to none. I too am about your weight and find that the FIRM spring (which I believe is now standard on the Pro) is perfect for me at about 65PSI. Definitely go with the Tower you will not be disappointed.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've got the slide rl2 with 9mm qr. it feels great, but there seems to be a bit of flex. Either that or my hub is loose and letting the rotor rub. I'm 230 lbs though. I'll update after I get he hub checked. It does feel nicer than the Reba I had though. No brake dive, supple, and precise.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by shockfinder View Post
    I've got the slide rl2 with 9mm qr. it feels great, but there seems to be a bit of flex. Either that or my hub is loose and letting the rotor rub. I'm 230 lbs though. I'll update after I get he hub checked. It does feel nicer than the Reba I had though. No brake dive, supple, and precise.
    Is there any compression adjustment, or is it simply open or locked out?

mtbr member
    Another vote for the tower pro. I added the 120 15mm axle to my setup about a month ago. Couldn't be happier. Even in full lockout there's enough rubber dampening to not shake you to death and in wide open mode can be ridiculously plush. Does take some dialing in with the pressure but like they said above once you find the sweet spot its set and forget.

mtbr member
    I live in Phoenix too and just got a Slide. SO far (and its not broken in yet) I like it alot. Not much flex but I only weigh 140ish and run a 160 rotor. I have already contacted their tech support to pick thier brain and got a quick and detailed response to my question. Plus- the Slide has nothing but sweet aluminum for internals unlike some of the other big brands out there. I run it at 80mm. The fork also responds very well to air adjustments unlike others I have run, and that makes me anxious to play with the oil circuit to see if I can dial it in even more!

For the guy getting rotor rub---What size rotor do you use? I ran a 180 on my last bike with a Fox fork, got the rub too. Went 160 and it went away.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Last time I ran a QR fork that had 5" of travel the rotor "zinged" during technical riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Is there any compression adjustment, or is it simply open or locked out?
    It is only open or locked I believe. I've been able with rebound and air to get it where I like it as well as any fork I've used. It soaks up big hits and oes well on normal roots, etc. I'm using 160mm rotors and the only rub is turning left, so I'm thinking it's the hub. It wasn't doing it til I switched brake systems. I like the xfusion at least as much as I liked my Reba.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The lack of compression adjustment would sway me to the Manitou. I dislike simply open/locked.