NMBP

Tower Pro: Flexy?

I have been considering a Tower Pro (120mm/15mm hex/tapered), and from what I have read, people seem to really like them. I have also read in a few reviews that people have experienced flex under braking. So, any bigger folks out there noticing any flex? (I am going to end up around 215 by Spring) I have been using various 20mm Maxle Reba's for a while now, and they seem pretty stiff to me.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Flexy! I don't think so. I've got both a 2010 Manitou Minute 29 with straight steerer and 20mm. Hex axle and a 2012 Tower Pro with tapered steerer and a QR15. They are otherwise essentially the same forks. The hexagonal shape of the axles where they insert into the fork legs adds a lot to the rigidity of the fork. I can not honestly tell them apart and have used them on the same frame. All other forks that I can think of have cylindrical axle ends which I guess could conceivably rotate. My weight, without gear fluctuates between 210 and 220lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tower Pro: Flexy?-img_1503.jpg  

The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am getting the 120 mm next month, at 210-220 is what I run at, what spring kit you using?
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    At the moment I've got a standard "firm" spring and run air pressure at 100psi. I've just ordered an "X-firm" to tryout. It's not a big deal changing the spring.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Flexy! I don't think so. I've got both a 2010 Manitou Minute 29 with straight steerer and 20mm. Hex axle and a 2012 Tower Pro with tapered steerer and a QR15. They are otherwise essentially the same forks. The hexagonal shape of the axles where they insert into the fork legs adds a lot to the rigidity of the fork. I can not honestly tell them apart and have used them on the same frame. All other forks that I can think of have cylindrical axle ends which I guess could conceivably rotate. My weight, without gear fluctuates between 210 and 220lbs.
    Thanks. I assumed that they were pretty stiff, but you never know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think you have flex under braking confused with brake dive. For those of us who are heavy, there is serious brake dive if you don't have the proper spring. I weigh 250lbs and have the new xx clydesdale spring at 150psi and it's great.

mtbr member
    I'm one of the guys who reported Tower Pro is flexy.

Please consider that I don't have any comparison with other 29er forks, though.

Nevertheless, compared with my Manitou Minute Expert 26er I find the Tower Pro significantly more flexy, both in 100 mm travel and in 120 mm travel.

No problem with lateral/torsional flex--the thru-axle does its job and the fork is stiff in this respect. Also, the tapered headtube does not show any flex. It's the stanchions / legs that flex, resulting in longitudinal flex when braking. You can feel it also putting a fingers between arch and stanctions and pushing forward while braking the front wheel.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by solitone View Post

Nevertheless, compared with my Manitou Minute Expert 26er I find the Tower Pro significantly more flexy, both in 100 mm travel and in 120 mm travel.

No problem with lateral/torsional flex--the thru-axle does its job and the fork is stiff in this respect. Also, the tapered headtube does not show any flex. It's the stanchions / legs that flex, resulting in longitudinal flex when braking. You can feel it also putting a fingers between arch and stanctions and pushing forward while braking the front wheel.
    Yep, this is what I have read several times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solitone View Post

This makes no sense unless you have worn bushings. The Manitou Minute and Tower are essentially the same forks. Suddenly the fork is going to flex longitudinally because of 1" more in the axle to crown length?

Out of curiosity I tried your test on both my forks. The only movement I feel is the stanchion sinking into the lower casting.

mtbr member
    Hi Ronnie,

my first Tower Pro was a used one w/ 100 mm travel. I'd had just finished mounting my new steel 29er and I had issues with the frontend. Since it was my 1st build, I took the bike to a professional mechanic to check it out. He also noticed some movement in the frontend. He checked the front brake disc and caliper, the headset, and the fork (finger between arch and stanchion), and concluded the issue was the fork.

We thought this was because of worn bushings, as the fork wasn't new. But afterwards, when my 120 mm Tower Pro was finally shipped, I changed that old fork with a brand new one, and nothing changed!

I took again the bike to a 2nd mechanic, I didn't tell him anything, and again he said the fork was flexy. And it can't be I have worn out bushings on 2 forks, one fork being brand new!

If two mechanics plus me have noticed it, it means it's noticeable. I have a Minute Expert and I've also done the same test, but the flex is negligible on the Minute.

29er forks being more flexy than 26er is commonly reported. I don't understand the mechanics myself, but it seems it is just the case. If this were not the case, I wouldn't understand why 34 and 36 mm stanchions are regarded more and more as the de facto standard for new 29er longish travel forks.

The White Jeff W
    I'm using a 120mm Tower Pro on my 650b bike. Haven't noticed any flex (I'm 200 lb) Not saying it doesn't, just that I haven't noticed
    No moss...

mtbr member
    BTW, here's Grannygear's take:

it is not the stiffest fork I have seen in one area, that being fore-aft flex in the fork under braking. I can see the front wheel pull back more than I do on an equivalent Fox (or the new RST I am on). Do I notice this on trail? Cannot say I do, but I do see it when I am just noodling around.

2012 Manitou Tower Pro 29er: Steppin' Up The Game