WD9
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

tough tire for a commuter?

This past week has been hell on my tires/tubes with 3 flats and a slice on the sidewall of my wtb bank 2.1's. For a quick fix I ordered a serfas driver city 29x2.0 to replace the rear with the damaged sidewall and to fix my plague of flats I am continuing to use sunlite thorn resistant tubes but this time they are getting backup from Stans sealant and STOP flats tire liners.

When I get the money which should be within the next 2-3 weeks I was originally planning to get a pair of Halo Twin Rail 29 x 2.2 tires as they seem to get great reviews for a commuter tire and seem to have good tread for paved, unfinished and dirt road riding.

Can anyone recommend a better tire than the Twin Rails for a tough commuter tire or are those good enough tires where anything else would be nit picking?

The reason I need a wider tire in the 2.0+ range is here in the inner city, some of the gutter grates have slits that run long ways with gaps almost an inch wide making thinner tires a not so good idea if I happen to roll over one as a 700 tire could get wedged in the slit sending me into an endo.
    Last edited by WD9; 08-26-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Dinner for wolves
    Schwalbe Marathons are fantastic commuter tires. I don't know if you can find them in the width you desire, but check their website. I have been running them on two of my commuter bikes for over 6 years EACH. Not. One. Flat. And this is commuting on the glass strewn streets of Philadelphia. They get my strongest endorsement. I used to get flats all the time on my folding bike until I put the Schwalbes on there. Same with my hauler.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Big Apples get a lot of good press, I just switched to Origin8 Captiv8er that seem to do rather well, but they are brand new so time will tell. If you can deal with something a little smaller, Kenda has several tires in the 35-45mm range that will do you well and are inexpensive (as in $20 range each).
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Schwalbe Marathons are fantastic commuter tires. I don't know if you can find them in the width you desire, but check their website. I have been running them on two of my commuter bikes for over 6 years EACH. Not. One. Flat. And this is commuting on the glass strewn streets of Philadelphia. They get my strongest endorsement. I used to get flats all the time on my folding bike until I put the Schwalbes on there. Same with my hauler.
    This. Marathons are simply the best for touring/commuting. Tough ass tire that still rides nice. Also lasts long.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Schwalbe Marathon Plus ...

are hands down, the toughest tire I've used yet. Just bought a set in 47 (~1.75") for my 29'er &, so far, I'm very happy with my purchase. No issues with thorns that's for sure. At least here in my area of Florida. They're very expensive tires though & the widest, 47, are difficult to find. Heavy too. Advertised at ~1100g but my two came in at 1140g & 1160g which I'm quite happy with. Really don't notice the weight except in very high speed turns on pavement.

Good luck.

WD9
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Going with Halo Twin Rails. The width and tread sold me Tried a pair of Serfas Drifter City tires to hold me over but after almost killing myself on a tiny patch of sand on a sidewalk I yanked the one off the front and put my almost dead Nano 2.1 back on the front for traction and thats when I realized slick or even semi-slick is not going to do well for me so this Friday I order my first Halo Twin Rail to test it out as a front tire and if traction is good for my commuting then I'll get the second one in the next 2 weeks.

Sloth Hunter
    Just mounted Big Apples 2.3 running them tubeless (Stan's Flows) on my Haro Mary 29er Urban Assault Bike in Seattle.
    I was able to fly over some seriously f'd-up city roads and no death grip, cornering with wonderful confidence.
    The Big Apple is a completely different beast. Cushy and comfy and grippy.

In a clean parking lot I was seeing how low I could get in a turn and the tires would not let go.
    Today I ran over a big chunk of broken glass that some gl******* smashed on a bike lane. I pulled over and checked out the tire. No puncture. Could just have been lucky...

Anyway, for what's it's worth, these sold me on having a big tire specific commuter. Fun to ride in the industrial areas and city curbing and alley riding.
    Although, I keep struggling with buyer remorse (I bought 4), wondering why I didn't also get the lighter 2.0's. Then again, I was using the 2.3 Exiwolfs and these are smoother rolling and quieter. Not sure about weight...do I even notice this???
    I guess I'm not going to be using fenders so...why not???
    Last edited by BooBoo; 09-17-2012 at 10:10 AM.