Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tool suggestion? (Procraft PRC CLR1 Center Lockring)

6K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  ypocat 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what tool to use to screw the lockring on the hub using the outer spline side.

The inner side is used with the classic Shimano cassette lockring tool, but I cannot use it on my front wheel, as the thru-bolt adapter on my hub leaves no space for the Shimano tool to fit in.

The outer ring has 12 slots/splines, and I have no idea what tool, if any, fits in there. The dimensions are visible on the screenshots.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Maybe contact the manufacturer to see if the splines are there for any reason other than just looks?

Shimano makes a separate centerlock lock ring for 15/20mm thru axle hubs. It's ~$40, sucks when you compare that to the price of the hubs themselves. Currently in the same boat with a front 20mm SLX hub on a wheelset I just picked up.

#6 ·
As a curiosity, I have a Shimano Saint hub on one of my bikes with a 20mm. thru axle on front which has a similar fitting front lock ring.

Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle tire Spoke

I'm not sure of the actual wrench size but I use a standard Park Tool external bottom bracket tool (BBT-19) on it.

Synthetic rubber Light Automotive tire Black Carbon

#7 ·
As a curiosity, I have a Shimano Saint hub on one of my bikes with a 20mm. thru axle on front which has a similar fitting front lock ring.

I'm not sure of the actual wrench size but I use a standard Park Tool external bottom bracket tool (BBT-19) on it.
yeah, that BB tool also fits the DT-Swiss lockrings (on their "outer/outside ring") that came with the hubs.

but this bling-lock-ring is a different case.. In about 6 days I will know if this tool is right for it, will post.

#11 ·
the inside is not a problem really, as the thru-axle/bolt can be taken out of the hub, the problem is the thickness of the tool ring - I think anything above .5mm (or maybe even less) is too thick - which, at that thickness any tool would be too weak.

#15 ·
so just to conclude this thread - the tool i ordered was almost good, except it the ends of the splines were beveled exactly opposite to the splines on the lockring:

Finger Nail Thumb Gas Household hardware

so I filed the edge down a bit, a quick, rough manual work:

Finger Nail Thumb Hardwood Cylinder

.. and I was able to tighten the lockring with it, although it's far from being perfect. So basically I would suggest to buy a different tool, although I don't know which one.

Here's just to show the centerlock inner-splines vs. QR15 thru-bolt - there's simply no space for the cassette tool to slide in (this is a different lockring from the procraft one, but it's the same mechanism so it shows the point):

Bicycle part Spoke Rim White Auto part

#16 ·
So basically I would suggest to buy a different tool, although I don't know which one.
I'm going to suggest to anyone that sees this thread in the future to, rather than buying a different tool, buy a different lockring.

This Shimano lockring goes on with a standard external bearing BB tool:

Here's one by DT Swiss as well:

Both of these lockrings will work for 15mm and 20mm thru axles. Looks like you can barely squeeze your lockring around a 15mm axle . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.