mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Titanium Motobecane Fantom 29

I could use some advice regarding to the subect MB. The bike is listed in BD for $1,799. Link below. I can afford this price and want a Titanium frame ( old school - durability is well appreciated) but wonder if this bike is trustable. Thanks in advance for any comments/feedback.

SRAM X9, 3x10 Speed 29er Titanium Front Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2013 Motobecane Fantom Titanium 29er | SRAM X9 hardtail mountain bikes | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles

2013 Motobecane Fantom 29 Titanium
    29er Mountain Trail Bikes
    with LockOut Reba RL 100mm,
    SRAM X9 30 Speed
    + Avid Elixir Hydraulic Disc Brakes

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes, it is a decent Chinese ti frame. A good friend of mine has one. He did break his first frame but they were good at getting him a replacement in decent time. He really likes his. He rides a lot. In spite of weighing about 160# he has managed to break every frame he has owned. So I don't consider the fact that his first Fantom broke to be a significant negative.The x-9 components are good and not heavy. I don't know much about the Vuelta wheels, but they can be replaced sometime in the future if they are a weak point.
    Seems like a great deal. Do they have them in stock?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mactweek View Post
    Yes, it is a decent Chinese ti frame. A good friend of mine has one. He did break his first frame but they were good at getting him a replacement in decent time. He really likes his. He rides a lot. In spite of weighing about 160# he has managed to break every frame he has owned. So I don't consider the fact that his first Fantom broke to be a significant negative.The x-9 components are good and not heavy. I don't know much about the Vuelta wheels, but they can be replaced sometime in the future if they are a weak point.
    Seems like a great deal. Do they have them in stock?

Thanks for your feedback Mactweek. They do have them in stock.
    Shame on me I've created this thread in the wrong place. There is another thread which has a few comments located under the 29er bikes.

what about Lynskey bikes? What do you think about them? They have US made Ti bikes for $500 more.....

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Geda View Post
    Thanks for your feedback Mactweek. They do have them in stock.
    Shame on me I've created this thread in the wrong place. There is another thread which has a few comments located under the 29er bikes.

what about Lynskey bikes? What do you think about them? They have US made Ti bikes for $500 more.....

Lynskey owners are a very loyal bunch, rave about customer service etc. Being made in the U.S.A. is an attractive selling point to many potential customers. The Silver Series is a true XT level build. The fit of the Lynskey is slightly different, that may or may not be advantageous. Compare them and decide which fills your wants and needs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I agree ,the Lynskey is a great bike. see if you can ride them both. Fit is most important factor in any bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mactweek View Post
    I agree ,the Lynskey is a great bike. see if you can ride them both. Fit is most important factor in any bike.
    Thanks folks, I will try to test drive both of them. This may take a few weeks, but I will post my first impressions when I finally decide/buy my next bike.