mtbr member
    May 2004

Tires for SoCal XC 29er

I have a Trek Superfly 100 set up tubeless with Bontrager 29-3 2.3 tires front and rear. Not impressed with the tires. Front slides out too easily in hardpack and loose over hardpack and rear skids too easy. They do ok leaned way over and handle rocks ok. Looking for better grip on XC race bike for SoCal trails. Thinking of Rocket Rons in front and Racing Ralphs in back. Had Racing Ralphs on front on another bike and they slipped first and then gripped on the corners. Crossmarks? SmallBlock8's? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Check SoCal section. Scroll down the list of forums. A huge thread on SoCal tires. Also socaltrailtiders.com. Same thing a huge thread on what the best tire for SoCal

It ain't easy being Green
    I'm in San Diego riding a Superfly, also race it (XC) in AZ and CO using the exact same wheels & tires: Racing Ralph 2.25 front (Pacestar/EVO/TLR/SS), Maxxis Ikon 2.2 (EXC/EXO/TLR) rear. The Ikon took a little getting used to but the RaRa was good from the first ride. I have total confidence in this combo in all the racing conditions I have faced in three states (damp decomposed granite to dry-as-**** loose over hardback to fields of baby heads to rock gardens to...) you get the idea. I'm quite surprised that you're so unhappy with the Bonty 29-3; they came with the bike and I rode them until they wore out and didn't really have any issues other than the mental thing "That front tire looks really skinny!".

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks, sdcabiker. Maybe I have too much air in the tire. I'll drop it down to 25 lbs and see what that does. Glad to hear about the Racing Ralph. Haven't seen many Ikons.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've heard good things about the Specialized Fast Trak on the front and Specialized Renegade on the rear.

It ain't easy being Green
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcowboy View Post
    Thanks, sdcabiker. Maybe I have too much air in the tire. I'll drop it down to 25 lbs and see what that does. Glad to hear about the Racing Ralph. Haven't seen many Ikons.
    Good point about pressure; I weigh 190 RTR and run 25 pounds tubeless, front and rear on fairly wide (21mm internal width) rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I like nobby nics in front, but i like rock solid stability. The rear doesnt seem to matter as much. Im trying out maxxis high roller IIs which are overkill. racing Ralphs, ikons and rocket rons have all been fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcowboy View Post
    I have a Trek Superfly 100 set up tubeless with Bontrager 29-3 2.3 tires front and rear. Not impressed with the tires. Front slides out too easily in hardpack and loose over hardpack and rear skids too easy. They do ok leaned way over and handle rocks ok. Looking for better grip on XC race bike for SoCal trails. Thinking of Rocket Rons in front and Racing Ralphs in back. Had Racing Ralphs on front on another bike and they slipped first and then gripped on the corners. Crossmarks? SmallBlock8's? Thanks
    Summer - 2.4 Racing Ralph w/snakeskin up front, Rocket Ron 2.25 on rear. I also like the big Ralph in back. Floats over sand drifts great while still climbing very well.

Rainy season - Conti Mountain King 2.25 front, same size Ralph or Ron on rear.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Been running 2.3" 29-3 tires tubeless since March, and I thought they have been very good front and rear. Great grip, and the few times they have slipped, they were very forgiving.

Been riding a set of 2.3" Honey Badgers for a couple weeks and I am liking them too. They are on a pretty wide set of rims, but they seem especially plump. Nice skins.

My "Ol' Reliable" SoCal tire combo is the Specialized 2.3" Purgatory (Control) up front and the 2.1" Ground Control (Control) out back.

I would only run the Crossmark if you take the time to cut off all the round side knobs from in between the square ones. Makes it a completely different tire. If that isn't done, I wouldn't run them on a dare if I'm going to push them in the corners.