mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Tire, Tube, and Cog Question - Bomb Proof City Bike

I am sorry folks I have tried to figure out the right sizes for parts to buy, now that I am about to spend money I want to double check myself.

Tire, Tube, and Cog Question - Bomb Proof City Bike-bikesdirect_gravity_29_ss_mountain_bike.jpg

I have a Gravity 29ss that I am trying to mak into a semi-bomb-proof city bike. Specs here. Here are the parts I am thinking of, please correct me if I am off! Thank you.

Big Apple Tires:
    28 x 2.35

Tubes:
    Preferably Thorn Resistant, Schrader Valve.

Mr Tuffy Liner:
    700 X 35-42

And finally I have a 33x18 single speed. I ride mostly flat lands, and I run out of speed real quick. What about?

14t real ACS Crossfire Bicycle Freewheel
    On my exercise bike I pedal around 80rpm, so I think this would give me 15 mph.

I am a bike noob, ding-dong, know-nothing. I am just learning this stuff and I value any help!!

Thank you,
    Adam
    Last edited by ceramite; 06-29-2013 at 05:21 PM.

mtbr member
    I haven't used those tires but they look like a good tread for the streets to me. Using TR tubes with Mr. tuffys is going to make that bike feel a lot heavier and more sluggish, and if it were me I'd use regular weight tubes without liners. I commuted daily for many years and got very few flats using good tires and standard tubes.

The stock gearing bike is pretty much off road oriented so going bigger is probably wise, but the drivetrain will last longer if you use a bigger front chainring instead of a smaller rear cog. Also it looks like that bike might use a cassette cog instead of a freewheel ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Excellent advice!! So just use regular tubes and skip the heavy tubes and liners. I ride on nice side walks mostly.

If I was going to change the front chainring(?) I was thinking about a 44t. (sound good for a single gear town bike?) It has 4 bolt openings. I am not sure what a cassette cog is on the read. It looks like there are two large spacers around the rear gear.

I am so lost, if anyone links to a product and says it will work for what I am looking for I will order it.

mtbr member
    I have had a very good run on Big Apples. I have nearly 6000 mile on a set but not much tread left now.

You probably can only go a couple of teeth bigger on the chain ring. Too big and it will hit he chain stay. Also some say don't go too small on the rear sprocket size.

single-speed_gearing_101

single-speed_drivetrains
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    This is mostly likely what you need for the rear sprocket cog here you can also get 20 and 22t.

ethirteen-104pcd-4mm-coloured-guiderings/

If that is your bike in the picture below the chain might be a fraction loose.

Have a play here Gear Calculator

35/16 will give you 16mph at 85rpm
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If I was looking for bomb proof city tyres then Schwalbe 'marthon plus' would be my choice. They're not light or easy to fit (quite rigid) but they have a protective lining which actually works really well, I fitted them to my old hybrid and was very impressed.

mtbr member
    Cool bike and a great project!

I think the Big Apples + heavy duty tubes will be plenty of protection....

If your bike is the same one in that link, you don't need a freewheel, you just need an SS cog. Really easy to change, and cheap enough to get a handful to try and find your ideal gear setup.

I run 35:14t on my SS street bike, albeit with skinny (700x33) tires. I think 32:14 would be fine for your setup, or something similar with a bigger front chainring. Changing the rear cog is really simple and cheap though...