mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Tire torque causing break rub when turning

I have had a Specialized 29er Comp Carve for 3 years now which I have ridden hard and put away wet. I am just now getting into the habit of providing it the routine maintenance which it deserves. One thing I just can't quite clear up with resetting the brake pad position is a recent break rub with aggressive turns. Upon further inspection, I noticed I can manually twist the tire enough to duplicate a wobble that will make rotor contact pads. Otherwise, wheel and rotor free spins true. Wheel has been set and re-set. Is this kind of motion normal for stock fork (RockShox XC32) and if so, why am I just now noticing? Anything else to attempt to adjust?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Are you running Avid brakes ?

You may also have play in the wheel bearings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Bike is stock, running Shimano hydraulic disc brakes with 180mm front rotor. I would assume if play is in wheel bearings it wouldn't immediately spin true when torqueing force is removed. Perhaps this is an incorrect assumption? I'll look into this a bit more and report back. Thanks

Plays with tools
    It's somewhat common to get a little bit of run under hard cornering. When your hub and fork flex there isn't a lot of room before the rotor starts grazing the side of the pad. It's creating more noise than drag though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    It's somewhat common to get a little bit of run under hard cornering. When your hub and fork flex there isn't a lot of room before the rotor starts grazing the side of the pad. It's creating more noise than drag though.
    Got it. Thanks for confirming my suspicion that some amount of this is normal. Just more noticeable after the many miles I have put on the bike. May be a slight bit of rotor warp too that further diminishes clearance between pad and rotor.

mtbr member

Re: Tire torque causing break rub when turning

I deal with this too, not much to do about it and most times I have headphones in so i can't hear it. If its loudish It's possible you have a very small amount of bearing play so check to be sure (had this in the rear and had to take wheel off to figure it out).

Also your headed right way with warped rotor happens after good amount of use, natural tendancy of metals. Quick check and straighten if warped a bit could go a long way.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If it's a Shimano hub it's cup and cone bearings. They could be a bit loose and it would not be evident in spinning the wheel. It will spin true.
    Easy to adjust, lots of info on the web.