mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Upset Tire replacement?

Hi everyone,
    I recently bought a second hand Specialized Stumpjumper Comp HT 2007. It seemed to be in good shape and until very recently has been performing fine. In the last week, the pedals have started to jam when I am in the second gear and there is a strange sound coming from the pedals: it could possibly have something to do with the bearing or the chain getting caught in the chain ring. In any case, I had a puncture the other day. I removed the piece of glass from the tyre and brought my bike to a store to address the previously mentioned issues and to get a new tube. A woman at the shop replaced the tube and took the bike for a test ride, noting no problem. When she was replacing the tyre she did, however, point out a cut in the side of it and said that the tyre wouldn't be able to hold a tube? Basically the new tube lost its air immediately and I left the store out of pocket but not having solved the problem. I'm not sure what to do. I was of the belief that the tyre and tube are independent and that even if the tyre is damaged, it should not affect the airtightness of the tube. I feel if I go back to the store I will simply be told I need to replace the tyre as well although I don't think this is necessary. What do you guys think?Tire replacement?-img_20131201_111206.jpg

cowbell
    It depends a lot on the size of the cut. It's difficult to tell from the picture you posted. But if the cut is smooth and small, it shouldn't really be a problem, as long as there's nothing sharp in the tire somewhere. If the cut is larger, it could be booted. There's a good chance the person at the shop just didn't check the tire and the rim to make sure everything was smooth and clean before putting the new tube in, and would rather sell you a new tire than check those things, or boot the old tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What I should add is that the cut I mention and which is shown in the photograph is not where the puncture occurred and I had been riding for some time with it. Should I go back and ask them to do the job again for no fee? I literally left the shop with a deflated wheel despite having paid for a new tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    no sarcastic or wiseguy tone here. I'd get a new tire and tube and do it myself. It is chePer, you also gain the knowledge and you know whether the rim was checked for sharp objects, and you are prepared for what to do when this happens while you are riding. i have ridden sidewalls that look like the one pictured for some time it wasn't the smartest thing to do but it's hard to say what is too risky and what isn't without doing it...

mtbr member
    If the sound your describing is like a ticking noise, your either dragging your chain on the inside or outside of the front derailer, or it is within your crank. But if you were riding with the tires with good success before the new puncture than the original cut isn't big enough to affect the tube. If the actual tube isn't holding air, and the lady told you it was the tire the tube is a dud. Have them give you a new tube if this is the new case.
    14 years, 6 bikes, 1 ambulance ride, 12 medals, 4 ribbons, 2 trophies, and some cool scars = BIKING ADDICTION!!!!