mtbr member

Tire recommendations for tubeless Spinergy Xyclone 29?

Just got my brand new Spinergy Xyclone 29's in the mail - there are countless threads on this forum about these wheels vs. other options, and this is NOT that thread - I raced on the same set of Xyclone 26's for years and just love the wheels...
    I'm doing the Stan's strip/tape conversion to tubeless.
    I'm looking for people who use this wheelset and have a tire choice they've ridden tubeless without it burping off or blowing up or other dangerous shenanigans. Speed/weight/etc. really beside the point. These rims are narrow and I don't expect to run beyond 2.25.
    I searched all of mtbr forums (and the net in general) before making a new thread. I didn't really find a solid recommendation...

Choices I'm currently considering:
    2013 Ardent 2.25 LUST
    Nobby Nic (though these seem pricy/high wear for a non-racer)
    Mythos XC 29 tubeless (2013)

I would really appreciate feedback from anyone who has reliably run a tubeless tire on this setup... If you run these wheels, you know it's about the extra spring, not just $/gram...
    Thanks everyone!
    -RM
    Last edited by rollmonkey; 05-05-2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: typo
    The debate is over - smaller wheels are faster. This is why all World Cup XC races are won on 24" wheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I am running a specialized purgatory 2.4 front and a specialized captain 2.2 tubeless with gorilla tape and about 28psi. The bike is an air 9 carbon single speed with a rigid fork. I haven't had any problems and setting them up tubeless was rather easy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I like my Tioga Psycho in front with an Ignitor on the back. They are about a year old and the Psycho is showing a little sealent seepage through the sidewalls but they are still working strong on my Nevada terrain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raylsgreen View Post
    I like my Tioga Psycho in front with an Ignitor on the back. They are about a year old and the Psycho is showing a little sealent seepage through the sidewalls but they are still working strong on my Nevada terrain.
    Are you running the 2.1 29er Ignitor on the Spinergy Xyclone rims? If yes, what's your tubeless setup... and is it hanging on? I'm very interested in running that setup.
    Thanks,
    -RM
    The debate is over - smaller wheels are faster. This is why all World Cup XC races are won on 24" wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rocket View Post
    I am running a specialized purgatory 2.4 front and a specialized captain 2.2 tubeless with gorilla tape and about 28psi. The bike is an air 9 carbon single speed with a rigid fork. I haven't had any problems and setting them up tubeless was rather easy.
    So going with the "tried and true" mantra, I set my wheels up with the Stan's strips and put 2.25 LUST-casing Ardent's on. The good news: tubeless worked perfect, rolls well, feels like a dream. But imagine my surprise to have GAINED 10 grams a wheel... Over my old setup of unbutted spokes & Stan's arch rims with Halo Choir Master tires (basically a DH tire).

I hadn't heard about the Gorilla Tape method, having looked it up I'm kinda bummed. The Stan's install involves drilling a 3/8" hole in the outer rim. It works but... I don't think I can go back to gorilla tape, as I don't think I can find a valve stem that will fit.

Wonder if there's any way to do it...

Appreciate the advice.
    -RM

ballbuster
    I've never set up those rims myself, but... Bontrager Rhythm rim strips might work well in those rims. They have a symmetrical one and an asymmetrical version. THey are pretty cheap too. $10 each at the Trek dealer, IIRC.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I started the ignitor on a Stans Arch with yellow tape and used the 50% stans fluid and 50% green slime as the sealant. I just moved the tire over to a Crankbrothers Iodine because I wanted to try a lighter wheel set. I've never had a problem with the setup and my Nevada trails has lots of sharp rocks, rock fields, and pointy vegetation. I almost never add air either and have run as low as 17 psi without slip or burbing. I like the 20 psi best as it gives me the best traction on really slow climbs and still handles nice.