mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Tire recommendations please

I am riding a 2012 Trek Wahoo and am pretty unhappy with the tires. They don't seem to have enough grip for climbing the steeper rocky/sandy singletrack dry trails I ride. Would eventually like to move to a tubeless set up but am not in a rush.

I used S-Works The Captain on my 26" set up and loved the say they handled, but am open to other suggestions. Would prefer to keep the price under $50 per tire.

Any suggestions please? TIA!

DFMBA.org
    Geax Saguaro

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

turtles make me hot
    Geax Saguaro is awesome. So is the Kenda Slant Six. Up front, I'm running a Tioga Psycho Genius, but I seem to be alone in liking that tire.
    I've run all three of these tires tubed and tubeless. Good tubed, better tubeless.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I have fallen in love with the Schwalbe tires. Racing Ralph for fast, Rocket Ron for a bit more bite, and Nobby Nic to never use my brakes in corners again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Racing Ralph Performance is now dual compound in the 2013 version.
    Just slightly under your budget at $66 for two.
    Schwalbe 29x2.25 Racing Ralph Perf Dual Compound

MTB B'dos
    If you know that those tyres worked well for you in the 26er version, to me it'd be the obvious choice to go for them again on your 29er. Why experiment when it would seem you know what you like and cash may be tight Personally from seeing the Captain, Purgatory and Ground Control, I'd opt for the Captain in the rear and Ground Control or Purgatory for the front.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Running tubeless and lower pressure will immediately improve traction with whatever tire you have, so I would look to convert before you bought new tires. I went through a bunch of tires and Geax TNT Gato 2.3 up front and TNT AKA in the rear work best for me...running about 17psi in the front and 22 (i weigh 190lbs) in the rear and the traction is fantastic and the handle and roll well.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    Geax Saguaro
    *********************l/VIi9r[/IMG]

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Geax Saguaro rocks
    Last edited by gridtalker; 11-15-2012 at 05:55 AM.

JDM
    mtbr member
    Kenda Nevagals can be had for <$40 and have tons of grip. Some complain that they are heavy and have high rolling resistance, but I don't notice it.

I've run the DTC compound in 26"x2.3, 650Bx2.3, and 29"x2.2. I'm 190# and run them around 25psi either tubed or tubeless with little trouble.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Saguaros are great and aren't too heavy as long as you aren't going with the TNT version. I never realized how heavy the TNT version is until I switched to a Continental tire. When price isn't an issue, I also agree that Scwalbe tires are the best on the planet but I've never used their lower priced stuff. As far as the Nevegal goes, I used them for years and thought they were great but once I tried something else (specifically Schwalbe's), I now have seen the light. I wouldn't run Nevegals if tehy were free.

NYrr496: I ride with a guy that runs that Genius front and rear on a 26" bike, he loves it.

Haymarket: 17 psi? Holy crap...I'm about your same weight and when I run anything lower than 26 psi, I *think* I feel my back end washing out on every high speed turn and that's with the TNT Sagauro which has pretty stiff sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Running tubeless and lower pressure will immediately improve traction with whatever tire you have, so I would look to convert before you bought new tires. I went through a bunch of tires and Geax TNT Gato 2.3 up front and TNT AKA in the rear work best for me...running about 17psi in the front and 22 (i weigh 190lbs) in the rear and the traction is fantastic and the handle and roll well.
    That's ridiculously low pressure.

I don't know how you don't flat spot your rims while hitting objects (any object).
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

MTB B'dos
    Some More like pretty much anyone who's riden that tyre. The Nevegal was it about it for big, grippy 29er tyre, that is until the Panaracer Rampage came out with almost equal traction and much less rolling resistance. The Nev has been the most BLAH tyre I've tried in 29" flavour, yet I really liked them in 26".

Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    Kenda Nevagals can be had for <$40 and have tons of grip. Some complain that they are heavy and have high rolling resistance, but I don't notice it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

turtles make me hot
    Nice to know I'm not alone.
    I'm building a 29er hardtail for a buddy and he's getting Psycho Geniuses front and rear because that's what I had layin' around.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Kenda Karma?

Ovaries on the Outside
    My opinion is SUPREME!

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Some More like pretty much anyone who's riden that tyre. The Nevegal was it about it for big, grippy 29er tyre, that is until the Panaracer Rampage came out with almost equal traction and much less rolling resistance. The Nev has been the most BLAH tyre I've tried in 29" flavour, yet I really liked them in 26".
    But seriously, stop breaking MTBR protocol by using the same smiley twice in one thread. There are 48 to choose from, or use your words.

Combat Wombat
    The Saguaro is a great tire and you can now easily find them for under $50. I used one as a rear tire for pretty much the conditions you describe and was amazed at how well it worked despite the relatively small tread pattern. However when it started getting worn, I replaced it with a Panaracer Cedric Gracia XC. While I would consider the Saguaro a great all-around tire, for your conditions, the Gracia XC is definitely a step up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    .... I'm 190# and run them around 25psi either tubed or tubeless with little trouble.
    I weigh 200#. I ran a Race King rear at 23-25 psi rear tubeless on Flows for 8 months or so w/ no problems. I am now running an X-King rear at the same pressures. The X-King is a definite improvement over the Race King on steep rocky climbs. I'd really like to try the Saguaro on the back sometime.
    FWIW - I run an Ardent 2.4 tubeless on Flow rim at 18 - 20 psi on the front.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks again for the fantastic recommendations! While I really liked The Captain, I figured there were other good tires and some pros/cons to them.

I would definitely prefer lighter tires since my bike is already on the heavy side. Sounds like folks find the Nevegals heavier than the Saguaros, but performance wise, either should meet my needs?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Maxxis Ignitors - they work great in Austin's loose over hardpack conditions. Set up tubeless without much fuss and they are a decent weight. They've been around a while, so people tend to overlook them for newer options. I also like the Maxxis Cossmark in back if I need a faster rolling tire.

FWIW I have tried:

WTB Nano (no grip) and Exiwolf (too heavy for amount of grip, although very good in the wet for some reason)
    Kenda Slant Six (rolls slow, very psi sensitive) and SB8 (no grip)
    Spec Ground Control (just ok)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I like my Nevegals, grippy in just about any condition and very durable. Nobby nics are nice too.