mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Tire question 2.35 vs 2.3

Hello all, I have 29x2.35 tires on my Banshee Paradox right now and they are too big (rear) clearance wise if inflated to max pressure, and very close @ 30psi

The bike specs are for 29x2.3 max. Am I going to notice a big difference between the 2.35 and a 2.30?

Thanks, trying to make an informed decision before buying.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That's a tiny difference in the tire width and there's more variation than that between different models of tires that are allegedly the same size. It's quite possible that other "2.35 inch" tires will fit your bike without problems, as manufacturers don't measure them consistently. Switching to a different model tire will feel different for a variety of reasons other than the minor difference in width.

I suggest that you just look for a narrower tire with the other characteristics that you desire and don't obsess about it.

mtbr member
    there's nothing in it between the two sizes.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Tire sizes are all over the place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Best to post the model tires you are running and what type of tires you like - though it sounds like you are new to all of this so you may not have a preference. In which case, let us know where you live and ride and people may be able to make a recommendation.

One brand's 2.25 is as big as another brand's 2.4. Volume has as much to do with fit as width. Many brands even have size differences between tire models. Continental is a great example.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've heard some say tubeless set-ups make tires wider than tube set-ups. And some say it makes no difference.
    That might be a consideration.
    ?
    ...just sayin.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    I've heard some say tubeless set-ups make tires wider than tube set-ups. And some say it makes no difference.
    If the rim width is the same, it makes no difference, assuming you're using the same tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Best to post the model tires you are running and what type of tires you like - though it sounds like you are new to all of this so you may not have a preference. In which case, let us know where you live and ride and people may be able to make a recommendation.

One brand's 2.25 is as big as another brand's 2.4. Volume has as much to do with fit as width. Many brands even have size differences between tire models. Continental is a great example.

Hope this helps.
    The bike has Hans Dampf 29x2.35 and I like the tread. I live in Albuquerque NM and am as likely to ride on the paved bike trail along the river as I am to head off road, so I'd like to be able to pressure up to ride the pavement.

At full pressure the 2.35's are too close to the chain stays and very close to the seat tube. I don't want skinny small tires. I am new to 29 tubeless, they seem to change shape more than the tube type 26.

I like the tread on Continental, Kenda etc, I guess I'll try some 2.30 and see how it goes. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks for the input. MK

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Mbrgr1 View Post
    Hello all, I have 29x2.35 tires on my Banshee Paradox right now and they are too big (rear) clearance wise if inflated to max pressure, and very close @ 30psi

The bike specs are for 29x2.3 max. Am I going to notice a big difference between the 2.35 and a 2.30?

Depends more on the specific tire you use. Some 2.25s are larger than other 2.35s.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I been looking at these tires for a while now...I don't know much about them, but they do look interesting for pavement riding. Google 'em up and see what you think.
    -Z
    Vee Rubber 29 x 2 30 "Speedster" Mountain Bike Bicycle Tires | eBay
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Go ask in the tire forum. Lots of tire junkies in there, mix of 26 and 29 fans. To get a similar tread to the Hans I'd ask people about how the following tires compare in size: Nobbie Nick maybe, Rampage, Mountain King 2.4 and Trail King 2.4. I know the Trail Kings in 2.4 are huge but the 2.2 are much smaller and still have ok volume with lots of grip so may be one to look at. The Specialized Ground Control in 2.3 is a nice compromise tire in terms of volume and width. Not sure how any of these hold up in Rocky areas so beat to get other opinions

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Go ask in the tire forum. Lots of tire junkies in there, mix of 26 and 29 fans. To get a similar tread to the Hans I'd ask people about how the following tires compare in size: Nobbie Nick maybe, Rampage, Mountain King 2.4 and Trail King 2.4. I know the Trail Kings in 2.4 are huge but the 2.2 are much smaller and still have ok volume with lots of grip so may be one to look at. The Specialized Ground Control in 2.3 is a nice compromise tire in terms of volume and width. Not sure how any of these hold up in Rocky areas so beat to get other opinions
    Thanks, I'll ask there. MK

change is good
    Sep 2004

2.3-2.4 HD, NN, TK, and Ardents are very big tires. My FR3 doesn't have a huge casing but has very large side lugs which compromises clearance. So like the others have said, size is all over the place. The TNT Gato, HD, and TK are tough tires. They should be because they are heavy. The Spec tires come in a variety of casing types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbrgr1 View Post

Hi, I have a Banshee Paradox as well, mine is the V2 which has extra tyre clearance, probably the same model as yours.

There is a lot of information on this model here

Paradox Updated for 2012

As others have said there is a lot of variation between manufacturers as to actual tyre sizes versus stated tyre sizes. If you want to be running the maximum possible width then the best thing is to find out from someone who is already running that tyre on that frame successfully.

Personally I don't think you have to run maximum rear tyre width on a Paradox for the bike to perform well. I am running a Geax Saguaro 2.2 at about 25psi with tubes on the trails and the bike performs very well.

Another thing to consider is a lot of riders put a narrower faster rolling tyre on the rear and a grippier tyre running at lower pressure on the front. With most of your weight being over the back wheel this improves how the bike rolls and reduces the chances of washing out the front end and crashing. A rear slide is usually easier to recover from. So I have a 2.35 Nobby Nic on the front of mine.

Hope this helps.

ready to ride
    As others have said I would look for something smaller. Like Ozynigma said most run a smaller tire in the rear anyways. I ride in different conditions than you but if you like something grippy like the Hans Damph I would consider something like the Continental Trail King 2.2, Maxxis Ardent. For something a little more fast rolling I like the Maxxis Ignitor in the rear but it might not do well in wet conditions where you ride. I would ask other local riders or a trusted LBS and see what they like. Also maybe ask in your regional forum.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan