Thread: Tire Pressures

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Tire Pressures

Hey guys! Just ditched my 26er recently and upgraded to a 29er. Just looking to get some advice from some of you that ave been riding 29er longer than I. It seems to me that the pressure I use to run in my 26er (tubes), is too much for my 29er. should I bag the tires down a bit? I also do plan on converting to tubeless soon.

Ridin' Furry
    I am in the same boat as you. Would run 2.1 xc tires with 40 PSI on my 26 hardtail.

Switched to a 29er hard tail and i am running 1.9 tires with 35 PSI. Have not had a pinch flat yet. I am 200Lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    16psi front,18 back. 2,35" tire tubeless on flows, 75kg rider. No problem.

mtbr member
    same here,went from 40psi to 37psi and now since i went 2bliss i went down to 35-36.im still worried i will burp the tires on landings that are a little sideways but have not jumped it much since the wheel swap.im also 250lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I run an Ardent 2.4 at about 18-20 in front and a 2.25 at about 20-23 in the back, tubeless on Stans rims. Great traction through hard corners and up steep climbs.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    205lb rider, Stan's arch ex wheels, Maxxis Ignitor tires, 25 front, 28 out back tubeless. Plenty of grip without having to force my tires to roll from lower pressures.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinsurfstar View Post
    Hey guys! Just ditched my 26er recently and upgraded to a 29er. Just looking to get some advice from some of you that ave been riding 29er longer than I. It seems to me that the pressure I use to run in my 26er (tubes), is too much for my 29er. should I bag the tires down a bit? I also do plan on converting to tubeless soon.
    No difference for me. Same factors apply for 26 and 29
    Tire pressure for all around XC riding?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Around 40 PSI.

mtbr member
    18-22 front in RaRa 2.25, 20-24 rear in Max Ikon EXO 2.2. running tubeless on Crests. I weigh 167

mtbr member
    May 2012
    210 lbs 30 psi front and rear on nevegal/flow with tubes

largely depends on your weight and riding style

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks, you guys have been great help. Any other tips for a 29er noob?

MTB Fanatic
    I've been running 25/28 psi on my tubed tires with no problems. I just do general XC riding with a few small jumps here and there. No flats, no punctures at all. People I ride with always seem to get flats though. I seem to have a knack for avoiding sharp rocks and stuff. I do carry an extra tube, patch kit and pump just to be prepared.

mtbr member
    With tubes, I just have to inflate to 30-35psi for the beads to hook, then I can deflate down to 25-27psi and I don't get pinch flats. 220 lb on rigid 29er, Flow rims with Panaracer Rampage 2.35" tires.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    26 front, 28 rear with tubes. 145lbs

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinsurfstar View Post
    I find that my hand makes a fine gauge for finding a good air pressure. Give your tire a good squeeze. It shouldn't feel rock hard. It shouldn't feel squishy either. It should feel firm, yet supple. You can use whatever mental image you want to determine that amount of firmness that you personally prefer, from the moderate firmness of squeezing a quality (decently thick) water bottle, to the softness of grabbing some college girl's ass, or to the firmness of your foot. Honestly don't think it should be any firmer than that, as that's the most natural amount combination of cushion and support that I can think of, but then again, you could be riding through things that no man's foot could walk through.

Find out what pressure it is that gets your tire to the firmness you find that you like and keep a mental note. Change accordingly whenever you change to a different tire, tube (or go tubeless), or wheel, as ~28 psi with one tire with tubes may feel too soft with another tire/tube/rim combo, and could also be too hard for yet another tire/tube/rim combo. Also change firmness accordingly with the trail and trail conditions in mind.

In general, a 29x.2.2 will need less pressure in it to feel about as firm as an equivalent 26x2.2 tire. Not surprising to hear you say your tire feels too firm when you pump it up to the same pressure you do for 26" tires.

Some tires feel better with lower pressure and some corner better with higher pressure. You just have to experiment. I personally use 28 psi as a starting point for 29er tires, and tweak from there, whereas I used 35 psi as a starting point on 26" tires.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 08-17-2012 at 05:51 PM.

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    Geax has an app that tells you how much air to run based run on your weight, tire width and a few other factors . Its called iTire Pressure and you can get it on iPhone and Android.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    30 front, 32 rear, tubed, 170 lbs. No flats so far.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    Trek 9800 OLCV, XT upgrade 26er
    KHS Fleetwood
    Schwinn 20" Fastback 5 speed stick shift

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I run 40psi on my 2.2 29r.

mtbr member
    I run tubes on very rooted and rocky trails. 21-22 up front and 24-25 in back and I have yet to pinch flat. Like you I came from the 26 and felt like I was riding some sort of horrid bouncy castle thing at 40psi on the 29er. Preload turned down and low psi makes for a very plush ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm 200lbs and run 30psi front and back tubeless,before with tubes i ran 32psi,anything more i find that i'm giving up grip and ride comfort.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I still run somewhat high, 32 and 34, but seems to work for endurance racing ...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    No difference for me. Same factors apply for 26 and 29
    Tire pressure for all around XC riding?
    This^^^
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Tubeless on Flow Ex I run 30 rear 28-30 front and weigh 265lbs. No burps, no issues. Lower psi in front feels more planted in corners.

B.Ike
    I've found that it varies between tires. Some are too squirly in turns in the lower 20's, and others (like the ardent) are too bouncy in the upper 20's. The thickness of the casing has a lot to do with this I suspect. (These pressures are for tubeless)

bit of advice for the op: In addition to squeezing the tire after inflating I like to thump/flick it so as to get used to the pitch it makes. This helps me get the psi closer to what I like when inflating trail side.

mtbr member
    i rund 30 psi with stans slime