Thread: Tire fix help

I'm with stupid

Tire fix help

So I ran into a bit of a trail monster yesterday. I picked up a nail in my tire and was wondering if anyone know the best way to save the tire. I would not worry about it but the tire is mostly new and I have planned on running it tubeless at the upcoming 24 hour race at the end of the month. I would like to be able to save it as the entry fee of the race has pretty much killed the idea of getting a new tire. So whats your tricks of the trade for fixing this ( if you can) to run it tubeless in the race.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I had one similar on the sidewall of my ignitor used an old school tube patch the was much larger than needed. worked fine tubeless. finely used up all the tread and had to get a new tire.

mtbr member
    Sew it with dental floss. Stay away from the knob and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrinln View Post
    I had one similar on the sidewall of my ignitor used an old school tube patch the was much larger than needed. worked fine tubeless. finely used up all the tread and had to get a new tire.
    Also cover the patch with - GORILLA GLUE AUSTRALIA | TAPES I use this tape to go ghetto works a treat. For side wall problems on the trail I carry cut up tooth paste tubes for patches (the material is indestructible and flexibleand smells of minty freshness) and put in a tube.

Hope this helps.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Give these a shot.
    Les grimpées, je les déteste!

Gumnut Peddler
    How big is the hole? You can get tire plugs to fill the void if its a ripped off lug or something of similar size, otherwise you can run Gorilla Tape and a tube. I dont have much experience with tubeless sorry, but I dont see why the GTape wouldnt work as well if the hole isnt super big.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by McBain01 View Post
    Also cover the patch with - GORILLA GLUE AUSTRALIA | TAPES I use this tape to go ghetto works a treat. For side wall problems on the trail I carry cut up tooth paste tubes for patches (the material is indestructible and flexible and smells of minty freshness) and put in a tube.

Hope this helps.
    I'm going w/ McBain Capital on this one. Use the Gorilla tape as a boot, just make sure the surface is clean and free of latex/goop. The sewing is a bit tedious, but effective also, just not as impermeable as tape. If you're worried, do both, sew/tape, and you should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Sew + boot (tape or patch) and you should be fine. I've run Maxxis CX tires like this tubeless a long time on my commuter no problem.
    Quiring KVA MS2 Stainless 29er SS
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | GHORBA | IMBA NMBP