Thread: Tire advise

mtbr member

Tire advise

Aight running kenda karma 1.9s on my marlin currently. Decent tire now that Im learning this whole tire pressure thing. I rode pavement today on the lower pressure and realized I can go a wider tire (rolling resistance change at much lower pressure wasn't noticable).

Be easy to find a tire if i only used this for trails but i also commute on it and ride paved paths up here.

Ride Midwest singletrack. Hardpack nothing real technical just occasional roots and rocks, tons of switchbacks though so decent cornering a must.

Most important thing is going to be treadlife. Burning the tread down pretty quick on these karmas with as much as i ride. Well on the rear anyway. Want a tire that will last a season at least. Not sure If there are tires that will last longer but be equal to/better than Karmas in traction and rolling resistance. And preferably not insanely heavy lol.

Let me know what u guys think, is appreciated.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    While I never want a tire that wears super fast, I can't quite imagine choosing a tire with the "most important thing being tread life."

I want good traction in corners, while braking, and while climbing. Pretty light weight. Fast rolling.

I like Racing Ralphs, Crossmarks, and have an Ikon on the shelf ready to try out next.

Of course, set up tubeless.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I don't think you're going to find a tire that has super tread life while on pavement yet have great traction off road. Off road usually has a softer compound so they stick but they do wear out fast on pavement. I would buy a cheap set of wheels and put road tires on them and just swap wheels around. It only takes a few mins to swap rims out. I just bought a new set of mavic's on deore hubs for my old 92 Cannondale and they only cost me 200 bucks new for both. Just my $.02.

mtbr member

Re: Tire advise

Well i have my stock wheels off my marlin. I just bought new wheels with slx hubs for it. Seems on mtbr and from my local club all he same, just get some road tires on the stock wheels for commuting use. Just gotta buy a cassette, I have g2 rotors I can use that are the same size as the ashimu rotors i have on the bike, so guessing ill go that route.

Thnx for the help, saves me from burning up another set of trail tires needlessly.

Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    hans dampf up front ground control in back... id run a swalbe in back but they are not known for durabilty. up front will be fine.

mtbr member
    kenda square block could work too. rolls really well

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    ....... just get some road tires on the stock wheels for commuting use. Just gotta buy a cassette, I have g2 rotors I can use that are the same size as the ashimu rotors i have on the bike, so guessing ill go that route.

Thnx for the help, saves me from burning up another set of trail tires needlessly.

ya.. probably the best/easiest/cheapest thing...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Aight running kenda karma 1.9s on my marlin currently. Decent tire now that Im learning this whole tire pressure thing. I rode pavement today on the lower pressure and realized I can go a wider tire (rolling resistance change at much lower pressure wasn't noticable).

Be easy to find a tire if i only used this for trails but i also commute on it and ride paved paths up here.

Ride Midwest singletrack. Hardpack nothing real technical just occasional roots and rocks, tons of switchbacks though so decent cornering a must.

Most important thing is going to be treadlife. Burning the tread down pretty quick on these karmas with as much as i ride. Well on the rear anyway. Want a tire that will last a season at least. Not sure If there are tires that will last longer but be equal to/better than Karmas in traction and rolling resistance. And preferably not insanely heavy lol.

Let me know what u guys think, is appreciated.

Midwest? Piece of cake solution available for your needs: Get the WTB Nano!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm looking for a bit of the same thing as the OP. I don't, however, commute with mine, but do ride about 5 miles to the trailhead. I ride East Coast, but nothing too technical. I'm using a Geax Saguaro F+R right now. That tire seems to hold up pretty well, but I might try a Crossmark or Nano as well.

mtbr member
    +1 for Nano. Crossmark is another excellent tire for durability and ridability.

Perpetual n00b

Tire advise

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Midwest? Piece of cake solution available for your needs: Get the WTB Nano!
    BB, do you still recommend these?
    If you gorge yourself into morbid obesity, you can skip everyone else in line at Disney World.

banned
    Jan 2014
    CrossMark is a nice tire for the rear. Reasonable price, fast rolling, wears decent. Never fully trusted it on the front though. Maybe an Ignitor?

I stay off pavement as much as possible with Schwalbe. The soft compound wears to fast on dirt and rock. To expensive to chew up on pavement.

Siguaro is another option. Geax tires are affordable and tend to wear decent.

Perpetual n00b
    It's an 18 mile round trip on pavement for me to ride ~6 miles of singletrack. Our hard packed loess trails are like concrete in the summer. The stock tires on my bike were SB8's and they seemed to roll fast and grip well even though they were the cheap wire bead version. I just wonder how well SB8s wear on pavement versus other tires of similar weight and knob height.
    If you gorge yourself into morbid obesity, you can skip everyone else in line at Disney World.

mtbr member
    Hey Tig definitely do the second wheelset if possible. I have cheap Forte Gothams on my crappy around town bike that I think would be pretty good for commuting. They have some tread so if you are going down a fireroad or something you'll be ok and I'm pretty sure they would hold up.....even if they dont they are super cheap

Forté Gotham Road and Mountain Tires - Forté Tires & Tubes

Fat-tired Roadie
    For the OP: think about a road bike. $300 gets you all you need for commuting.

For five miles to the trailhead, IMHO it's not worth changing to a different tire. What is that, about twenty minutes? I haven't killed my Schwalbes yet and lately I've been riding some road to get to most of my rides. Yeah, I guess I might kill 'em a little faster. But the purpose of the ride is mountain biking, I'll choose the tire I have the most fun on.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I was also thinking that. Maybe just get a clunker bike for commuting. I picked up an old specialized hardrock for 100 bucks last summer just for riding around town to the farmers market and such and pulling my daughter around the park with a bike trailer. I just put some comfy grips on it, rear rack, and those forte gothams. Its certainly not the lightest or fastest road bike but it was a cheap and its a very capable comfortable ride for those kind of occasions. now my marlin doesn't touch the pavement