mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Tire advice minion dhf for hardpack?

Got my new set of wer1 agent 29ers for my switchblade and looking at tire options. Currently running the rekons on my 27.5+ wheels and I really like them. Im wanting a tire similar to the rekon with better cornering ability. They just built a nice downhill trail near me with high berms and some decent jumps. Most of my riding is hardpack, loose over hard with roots and mild rock. Ive always ridden maxxis tires so I am a fan. Would also consider WTB though. I was originally thinking DHFs front and rear but havent seen much for how well they would be in harpack conditions. 2nd option would be WTB Vigilante/Trail boss or Vigilante front and rear? It bugs me that the vig is a 2.3 and TB is a 2.4 though

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    DHF and Aggressor are a good combo. If you want a quick combo 2.3 wide tires don't give up too much grip but the ability to change direction quickly is awsome. Steering imput is minimal. The 2.5's offer insane grip but the steering gets sluggish. Something you may not notice if you've been riding plus tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    DHF for hardpack works well. Pair it with the Aggressor in the rear and youll be fine. Given the trails you ride, having DHFs front and rear would be unnecessary.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the input guys! Would agressor font and rear be a bad idea? I deffinately dont want to risk washing out the front

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by builtupbowtie View Post
    Thanks for the input guys! Would agressor font and rear be a bad idea? I deffinately dont want to risk washing out the front
    You can run it that way too but the Aggressor wont have as much grip as the DHF. I ran 3C High Roller 2s front and rear The Aggressor and HR2s have the same side knobs. Worked very well for me especially when wet and damp. The Aggressor is a dry tire and only comes in dual compound rather than 3C so that means its not as sticky. The DHF is on a different level though. It just grips and grips in all conditions.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    DHF front and rear provides too much grip. I recently ran this combo with a well worn DHF out back waiting for my new aggressor to come in and it was difficult to break the rear loose to slide it around tighter turns. DHF in the front can't be beat though!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Like said the Aggressor is a harder tire, I'd only think of running it on the front if I was just on a hard pack/dry rock XC race. And the forcaster works just fine in that environment. If the roots are even a little wet it will slide out.