mtbr member
    May 2016

Tiny Hole on sidewall tubeless tires, is it ok?

Hi,

I set up my first set of tubeless 29ers for my bike today

I used Stans Valor Carbon Rims and Racing Ralph tires, everything went perfectly, next to no sealant leaked in then process, bead sealed nicely and they spin nice and true

I have them sitting in my room now and I just noticed on the sidewall of one of the tires there is a super small pin sized hole where a tiny bit of sealant came out and sealed it up

My question is, is it going to be ok? i know the tubeless tires can handle small punctures but I kind of just wanted a second opinion before I go for my first ride tomorrow

Tiny Hole on sidewall tubeless tires, is it ok?-imag0030.jpg

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    That's pretty much standard for any tire. It will stop weeping soon. In the meantime, keep an eye on your pressures and you'll be good to go. Did you give the entire rim/tire a soapy water treatment to check for wicking around the bead and sidewall?
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks for the info!

Yeah i watched a few youtube videos before doing it and I used dish soap suds to help mount the tire, definitely helped a lot with mounting the tires because it was a tight fit, then after putting the sealant in and pumping it up, i bounced it around to make sure sealant was everywhere then I put soapy water around the rim and bead area and didn't see or hear a single leak anywhere

I just noticed this little pin hole leak in my tire when i released a little bit of air through the valve because I didn't want too much PSI pressure in there then I started hearing a little leak from that tiny pinhole you see in the picture, so i rotated the tire and shook it, sealant instantly sealed the little hole up and its not leaking in that spot anymore, so im hoping its all good now

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ride it around a bit and hop it off a curb or two to make sure it holds up. It will probably be fine though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I use truckerco, which is also latex. I had one pretty big hole (round toothpick size) that took two days to fully seal, but it's been fine for several months now. That's more thorn size, it should seal pretty quickly, within a day, I think it will be fine.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    yeah the white sealant you see in the picture is actually a lot bigger then the hole is, the hole is quite small. I left it alone for the last few hours and it has already sealed up, I cant seem to make any air or sealant come out of that little hole now even when i put all my weight on the tire so im thinking its good to go

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You need to ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I have over 25 wet spots on my tire. Been riding it for 7 months. Just have to add a little air every couple days.

EMBA Member
    This is normal. I wouldn't give it a second thought. You'll likely see more wet spots on the sides of your tires in the future. Ignore them. Only thing is to keep an eye on pressure more than you usually do for the first week or two. After a while, the sealant will dry up inside your tire. I just remove the valve core and squirt some more sealant in through the valve stem.