mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Threadless headsets

Hi
    Am new to the forms and I need a new head set. Am also new to mtb coming from pogo sticking. My bike has 900 miles on it and somewhere dirt got into the head set and is making a crunching noise I've cleaned it out but the seals are trashed. Am 15 and dont have a winter job so it needs to be under 50 $. Any imput is very appropriate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Take it to a bike shop and let them look at it. Don't fear your Local Bike Shop.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    if you are lucky you may be able to just get new bearings. Depends on make model and year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    check online retailers for options and make it a fun DIY project. You don't need an expensive tool to press a headset, there are plenty of threads where people make the press from cheap parts from home depot. You'll gain valuable knowledge and experience if you DIY.

First thing review threads like the one below and see if this interests yo and if it does then just get a head set on line and go for it, post back and how you did it.

DIY headset press

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I took it apart agin today and found that the old bearing are pressed into the cup. When my dad gets home we will heat up the outter cups in hope they will come out. Then purchase new bearing off of mcmastercarr if they have the right size then ill make somthing simlar to the diy headset press to press the new bearing in. I hope that the new bearing press in ok , and I don't have to mill somthing to press them in (washer maby).

mtbr member
    Hey Matty, don't go through all of that. No need to use a smoke wrench to free the bearings from the cups. Just go online and look up headset cup removal tool. Either fashion something that looks like that and knock the whole assembly out of your head tube. Or take it to your LBS. I'm sure most places will knock out your cups for a very nominal fee if not free. I know I would do it for free if a fifteen year old came into our shop showing an interest in working on his own stuff. Then get a cheap FSA or Aheadset Headset. They are fine for your application. Then fashion a press like others have suggested and go for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Its not going back to my lbs last time I got a tune up they cleaned my shock to much and shoved dirt down it and trashed my bushings. Then they told me off and said that I did it altho I had just got home. The cup remova tools look easy to make so I think that is what I will do then look atound at headsets and or bearing from mcmastercarr. Thanks for the posts

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    DIY Stoke--Father & Son--RIGHT ON!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    We just took it off the tool we made broke but it was just a pice of steel conduit cut in 5 places we ordered up bearing off of mcmastercarr (they sell just about everything used in factories including bearings) they were $15 for 6 bearing that are sealed abec 3 so not bad ill have you posted if they are the right size.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    most shops will use a screw driver to remove cups...after faffing around myself I eventally did the same. As long as you are gentle and careful it should be OK. Not sure why you want to remove the cups though. Bearing should just come out of the cups easily. Just use your fingers to pull them out or if they are a little stuck, some wd40 and pointy implement.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Threadless headsets

Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    most shops will use a screw driver to remove cups...after faffing around myself I eventally did the same. As long as you are gentle and careful it should be OK. Not sure why you want to remove the cups though. Bearing should just come out of the cups easily. Just use your fingers to pull them out or if they are a little stuck, some wd40 and pointy implement.
    No. No they do not. And if I saw any "mechanic" start to use a screwdriver I would slap them hard and take the bike back.

Every single shop I have ever been in has headset cup removal tools. They are simple, effective and been around forever.

mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    That's what I made out of a $ .03 pice of steel

mtbr member
    all I ever use is a large size flathead screwdriver and a standard hammer or my dead blow mallet (when i can find it). Never damaged a single thing. Hell putting headsets in I use a peice of 2x4 and my dead blow. Headset press and cup removal tool...they're for rookies

Awesome to see a 15yr old so interested in wrenching on your own bike!!! Keep it up!!! adds the rewards of knowledge and feeling of accomplishment. Im working on teaching my 7 yr old how to work on his, doesnt have your motivation wish he did lol.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Tigris99 get him somthing that brakes alot but has simple mechanic. He is young try a small rc car losi makes the best. You can pick them up used cheap and there are tons of parts for them you can make them go stupid fast and it gets him turning a wrench. When I wad 8 and got my first 21 speed bike it was full of problems and just pissed me off although now I understand how things work and enjoy wrenching. Best of luck to all and happy Christmas

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    your shops shiggy, maybe even most shops, but not the shops I have here. Maybe why I do my work myself.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Threadless headsets

Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    your shops shiggy, maybe even most shops, but not the shops I have here. Maybe why I do my work myself.
    If they do not have a "rocket" tool, they are not a bike repair shop. Period.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    no argument here