mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Thoughts on a Next SL 2x10 Crankset with Shimano cassette

I'm debating to get this Next SL 2x10 crankset to replace my XT 3x10 currently on my Tallboy, which is full XT. However I've been told that if I go to this crankset I will be sacrificing shifting for poor shifting. Mechanics are telling me if I upgrade- go to XTR, another words keep it Shimano if I want the best shifting performance. Do you agree or is this false? Any one use the NEXT SL 2x10 crankset with a shimano cassette?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I think they are trying to say that xtr chainrings are better than race face sl and therefore front shifting will be better with xtr cranks and rings compared to race face sl. From my experience with the current line of race face that's not the case. I run raceface 2x10 sixc cranks on my TBc and the front shifitng is brilliant with an xt front shifter (same turbine rings as the next sl I believe) . I'm about 200lbs and they are amazing cranks. I set my TBc up for abuse, but if it were a xc setup i would have no concern using next sl. Doesn't matter what rear cassette you use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eastie View Post
    I think they are trying to say that xtr chainrings are better than race face sl and therefore front shifting will be better with xtr cranks and rings compared to race face sl. From my experience with the current line of race face that's not the case. I run raceface 2x10 sixc cranks on my TBc and the front shifitng is brilliant with an xt front shifter (same turbine rings as the next sl I believe) . I'm about 200lbs and they are amazing cranks. I set my TBc up for abuse, but if it were a xc setup i would have no concern using next sl. Doesn't matter what rear cassette you use.
    Thanks, yeah they pretty much tell me to keep it all shimano. They say mix and matching sacrifices shifting performance. I weigh about 210 and have been looking at the Next SLxc also. Not sure what the difference is, I guess just weight? They both seem to be carbon cranks.