mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Thinnest tire for these rims

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I've been reading for the last few days on tire sizes and am confused!

The rims are WTB SpeeDisc All Mountain 29 and my current tires are Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1.

What are the thinnest tires that will go on these rims safely. I'm not asking because I want the thinnest, but just as a gauge for when I'm shopping for tires. Looking for a good road tire that's slightly thinner than the current tire on now.

What I mean is what range should I be looking in? 700x40c for example.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by twinpuller View Post
    Sorry if this is a noob question, but I've been reading for the last few days on tire sizes and am confused!

The rims are WTB SpeeDisc All Mountain 29 and my current tires are Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1.

What are the thinnest tires that will go on these rims safely. I'm not asking because I want the thinnest, but just as a gauge for when I'm shopping for tires. Looking for a good road tire that's slightly thinner than the current tire on now.

What I mean is what range should I be looking in? 700x40c for example.
    I think a 28c messenger style tire is about as small as I would go.

In other words, if it has dirt tread on it (as in, not a 23c roadie tire, although that might fit), you don't have to worry about being too skinny for the rim. The real question is this: what is the smallest tire you want for your conditions, and why would you want to go that small?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    700x28c should be able to work. here is a similar thread

VWVortex.com - Road tire recommendation for cross bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks that's good to know. I'm probably looking at something around 40c